Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Downing
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I do remember seeing Ricky Royal's variant from the 1st edition that I have tried before. I haven't picked up the 2nd edition but wondering if anyone had tried Ricky's solo variant yet with the 2E and or possibly created another solo-able variant. I know...I know...It's early on, and I'm sure a lot of people will say, "Just find someone to play with", but it's not that easy.

Thanks in advanced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
radioboyeric wrote:
Hello,

I do remember seeing Ricky Royal's variant from the 1st edition that I have tried before. I haven't picked up the 2nd edition but wondering if anyone had tried Ricky's solo variant yet with the 2E and or possibly created another solo-able variant. I know...I know...It's early on, and I'm sure a lot of people will say, "Just find someone to play with", but it's not that easy.

Thanks in advanced!

As a long time Thrones player (but not someone who frequented BGG), I have never heard of Ricky Royal's solo variant - mind pointing me in that direction?

Without knowing much, though, the fundamentals of the game are extremely similar - just cleaner. I can't imagine why it wouldn't port over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downing
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! Here is the link to the thread.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/701568/agot-solitaire-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played 1st edition I'm hoping that rickys solo rules will work.

Just need an experienced player to try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I too, plan to try out Ricky's solo version with 2e, sometime. But some changes will have to be made (see below). I really liked how it worked when I played it with 1e.

For all who aren't familiar with Ricky's solo version:
- First, it's really not a variant as much as it's more of a set of rules which controls a robot AI. Ricky named the robot, "Quintain".
- What it does is provide a reasonably good opponent for a solo player to play (or practice against). This is why I veered away from calling it a "variant"... When I think of a solo variant, I think of a set of rules that modifies the normal rules so you can play the game by yourself. Whereas with Quintain, you're NOT playing the game by yourself, you're playing against an AI!

Anyway, the link provided by Eric above is for the thread that discusses Quintain. If you want to get the actual rules, go here:
AGot Solitaire Rules

Though, some things in Quintain's rules will have to be changed to work for 2e:
- The Setup for Quintain will have to be changed
- The keywords rules will have to be modified
- Quintain's play of event cards will have to be changed
- The rule about how Quintain plays Influence will have to be deleted and a new rule about playing Reserve will have to be included.
- Etc, etc.

I was wondering the same thing as the OP when I got my copy of 2e. I hope Ricky is considering a new version of Quintain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a go with Quintain this week. Just by bearing the changes to 2e in mind as I went along and applying common sense where things didn't fit, it worked perfectly well.

To be honest I'm quite happy just playing both sides while I get the hang of the cardpool. You just have to 'forget' things you wouldn't know and avoid a 'favoured side'. Wargamer solo in other words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
There was another thread started recently, and I added a comment there, calling for play-testers...

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28267523
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
For those of you who have tried Quintain with the 1st edition, how would you guys compare it with other solo games you have played which are designed to be played solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.