Popular Tags: pnp [+] [View All]
Matthew McCloud
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm attempting to work on my own game, but I've had some problems with making my own tiles, cards and block figures.

I've been trying to make some cards on some quality photo gloss paper, but they have been fading quick. What type of paper do you suggest?Also, the block figures have the same problem. They tend to fade quickly when handled. Is there something I could add to keep it from fading? I've been thinking of adding some of that permanent puzzle mix that I found at a local Walmart.

Lastly, cards are coming out horrible quality. I can't find the proper card stone? Any idea how to make it look nicely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most printers use water based inks. When you handle bare components repeatedly, the ink WILL start to come off from the moisture on your fingers.

I've had luck with heavier card stock and then laminating the cards. For smaller components, there are sprays that may be used to 'fix' the inks and make them more permanent.

As to the brightness issue... when printing, make sure that you manually adjust the intensity of the inks so that the colours are more saturated. Once the lamination is done, colours are much more vivid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can probably find the best advice over at http://bgdf.com/

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Vriese
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way of doing things is to print your stuff on an ink jet printer and then sealing it with a spray clear coat. Either glossy or matte whatever you prefer. It worked well for me.

Doei!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
If you aren't going to seal the paper after printing then don't bother.

It's a function of the paper when exposed to light, and also of the inkjet ink.

Lamination or DullCote spray works well.

I have components from years ago that are sealed with clear Contact 'paper', and it has prevented them from degrading as well. Better than nothing, and likely cheaper and easier to find (home depot sells this), but blurry and thicker as compared to actual laminate. Some laminate has grainy lines, which I hate as it also has a sort of 'blur' factor. The Avery laminate does not have these lines.

Sometimes the laminate makes the stuff seem too slick, and too glossy (and sometimes just too thick). When that is not appropriate, spray is a great alternative (matte in this case, like DullCote).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.