BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Portable Game Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Wiggins
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I am looking for some recommendations that are good time fillers while out grabbing a coffee with friends or getting a few drinks at a bar. Here are some constraints:

-Portable (Fits easily a messenger bag)
-Easy setup (not tons of pieces that need to be laid out to get started; ie. axis and allies)
-Some Strategy (ie. not fluxx)
-Can Fit on a 4 seat table top or smaller
-Around 30-40 minutes or less to play

looking forward to seeing what everyone plays=)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fight! - clever pure strategy game for 2 or more players which needs only coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually take Red7 or Star Realms to the pub (though the latter is only 2 player and will require two decks if playing with 4 people).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is good on the road or at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the size of the table, Race for the Galaxy could work. Fits your timeframe, has plenty of strategy, very replayable, and is a fantastic card game without fiddly pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Builders is basically Splendor for half of the price and 1/8th of the size.

Carcassonne is a classic, and while the box is a little big, you can fit all the necessary components and a couple of expansions (some are good) in a small tin or box. There is also a travel version that has smaller tiles and meeples, but it's not compatible with any of the expansions.

I've heard that Cacao is very good, but I've not played it myself.

Hive Pocket is a very good abstract with sturdy pieces and smaller that the original, the downside is that it's only for 2 players. Jaipur has the same disadvantage, but it's also a very good small game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some different alternatives (and approaches) I have taken succesfully to some bar meetings are:

Race for the Galaxy
Biblios
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Coup

I recommend them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Madison

Houston
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet
Money!
Flash Duel: Second Edition
Eight-Minute Empire

I also second the recommendations of hive and sushi go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowJack wrote:
Depending on the size of the table, Race for the Galaxy could work. Fits your timeframe, has plenty of strategy, very replayable, and is a fantastic card game without fiddly pieces.

Race for the Galaxy while having drinks at a bar? Really? C'mon, you can do better than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I wonder if BGGers actually read the initial request. The OP wants to pull out a game while having drinks at a bar. Fleet? Race for the Galaxy? Either some of you are not reading the post or you have never been to a bar. And Hive is not a good suggestion either because it seems the OP is implying he will be hanging out with more than one friend.

But there were a few good suggestions:

Sushi Go! is a decent suggestion as long as you can get past the artwork that has child like qualities.

If you can find a copy of Sushizock im Gockelwok, it is an excellent light dice game that also uses bakelite tiles that can easily withstand a spill. It takes up very little room. The dice are wooden, so they aren't quite as prone to bouncing off the table.

Some other excellent small box card game fillers: No Thanks!, 6 nimmt!, and perhaps one of the best for this situation is Port Royal.

Eight-Minute Empire was also a great suggestion, though I prefer Eight-Minute Empire: Legends.

And one last suggestion is the recently released Tiny Epic Galaxies. Currently there are a lot of copies on ebay as well as the BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if BGGers actually read the initial request. The OP wants to pull out a game while having drinks at a bar. Fleet? Race for the Galaxy? Either some of you are not reading the post or you have never been to a bar. And Hive is not a good suggestion either because it seems the OP is implying he will be hanging out with more than one friend.

No need to be rude. If you read the OP it said coffee or bar, and I feel RftG would be a great coffee house game. You may disagree and that's fine, too.

Depending on the size of your group, The Resistance could also be a fun game to bring to a bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!

For Sale

Coup with Coup: Reformation. The expansion really improves the game IMO.

Perhaps a good trick taking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Jones
msg tools
Highly recommend Condottiere - I love how much game it packs in a small box. The art is gorgeous and evocative, and I adore the tiny map of Italy that comes with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowJack wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

No need to be rude. If you read the OP it said coffee or bar, and I feel RftG would be a great coffee house game. You may disagree and that's fine, too.

Depending on the size of your group, The Resistance could also be a fun game to bring to a bar.

I read coffee, too. I have been to coffeehouses myself and I don't recall too many tables at a coffee house that would accommodate a 3 or 4 player game of Race for the Galaxy. Yeah, you MIGHT be able to squeeze a two player game on a small coffee house table, but not 3 or more. With 4 players, you need room for at least 40 cards in play, a draw stack, a discard pile, and room to play your phase cards. There are plenty of games out there that would be suitable for going out and throwing down a few with some friends. But I just cannot see Race, or Fleet, being successful in that kind of environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These 2 are at Amazon. They are a canvas playing board with attached canvas zippered tube for the pieces and roll up neatly with snap straps to secure them.

Chess & Checkers

Backgammon

Gotta 'em both on my wish list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martian Dice
Zombie Dice
Age of War Dice Game
Trophy Buck
Mine Shift
Pente

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gloom for Halloween!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
There are plenty of games out there that would be suitable for going out and throwing down a few with some friends.
But few as good as Race!

pfctsqr wrote:
Yeah, you MIGHT be able to squeeze a two player game on a small coffee house table, but not 3 or more. With 4 players, you need room for at least 40 cards in play, a draw stack, a discard pile, and room to play your phase cards.
I concede I play it mostly 2 players at bars (and in coffes, and at the park, and at the beach, ...).
But -imho- more players is totally achievable -and worth the effort- if you pick a good table.
Anyway I have no idea if there is a typical size of tables in bars in your country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
Hive is good on the road or at home.

Great choice for a bar, the pieces can wet as can be, no problem ever. Pocket Hive is nice but I prefer the larger pieces of the original.

Downside, only 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

I agree that people don't seem to pay attention to the original request on these things. They just recommend their favorite games. Although I think the OP was vague on number of players. I'll bet sometimes he goes to the bar with 1 friend, sometimes with more. So I still vote for Hive!
pfctsqr wrote:

I haven't played the original but this this sequel is a lovely little game, I second your recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
My biggest grievance is when people recommend a game already in your collection laugh

If I ask for a recommendation, I don't expect people to check my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Red7, Coup(4+ players) and Biblios(you don't need the original box)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cacao
Tiny Epic Galaxies
King Up! (trust me, it's super fun!)
Letter Tycoon
Medieval Academy
Santiago de Cuba (very interactive)
Mars Needs Mechanics
Airships
Blueprints
Valley of the Kings
Sail to India

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wiggins
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Wow thanks everyone, going to be trying a lot of these out! Thank you so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I currently use Attila, Hive, Niya, Rumble in the House, and Sushi Draft for small space travel games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.