7 Posts

Discoveries» Forums » General

Subject: Already have L&C rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
I already have Lewis & Clark. Will I have fun with this game? Are they similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar art, similar two currency (Mountains and rivers) movement track, same theme...
But totally different game- it primarily uses dice as resources, and is much simpler than L&C.

It's an excellent game, and I can recommend it with gusto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Also, no official solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
...Also, no official solo.

Not only that, I like discoveries at 3+, as at 2p, there are not enough dice being juggled around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but I hate L&C at 4+

Try before you buy is my opinion. The feel like different games but I'm not sure I'd want to own both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it for the first time last night. I can say, there's a reason it isn't called Lewis & Clark The Dice Game. It's 100% different. Not at all related other than the thematic idea of crossing the terrain and the thematic idea of getting indians to help you along the way.

I ended up not liking it. The dice mechanic was great and innovative, but I often found myself at a loss for any kind of strategy. The few times I did have an idea for something to do, it was that I was close to taking on two cards at the same time (really, the main thing you want to aim for during the game). But most of the time, before that happens, someone takes the card you were able to take. In the end, the scoring mechanism feels like near pure chance to me (emphasis on 'feels like'). Sometimes there were two cards for me to score. Sometimes just one. And I seemed to have no real way to influence that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both. I think they are different enough to have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.