Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

tomorrow I will play my 2nd game of T&T (after one full learning game where we made some mistakes, but overall it went quite smooth - and we had a blast). About one issues, I am not totally clear:

If a player plays a combat card during a season he can move units & conduct combat (if correct season on combat card). Let's suppose Axis and USSR fought a land combat in spring which wasn't fully resolved (not enough hits, no retreats). Is it correct that in summer no new combat round is fought if neither Axis and USSR plays a summer command card?

And how relates this question to escaped subs? From the rules, p.16 (emphasis mine):

Escaped Subs & Future Combat
During friendly Turns, Escaped Subs
co-occupying a Sea Area with Enemy
units can optionally re-Engage (turn
them face-up). No Command expenditure
is required
Likewise, Enemy forces in the Sea
Area can optionally re-Engage
Escaped Subs during their friendly
Turn (one BattleGroup can join each
Combat Round, including the first).

So, the owner of escaped subs can re-engage enemy units without playing a command card? Does this also apply to the enemy forces in the same Sea Area as the escaped subs?

Thank you for clearing this up for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornauer wrote:
Is it correct that in summer no new combat round is fought if neither Axis and USSR plays a summer command card?

Yes, that's correct.

Hornauer wrote:
No Command expenditure is required.

I think that just means that if you played a command card which gave you 6 moves, re-engaging with those subs does not count as one of those 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Hornauer wrote:

I think that just means that if you played a command card which gave you 6 moves, re-engaging with those subs does not count as one of those 6.

Haven't experienced this during play, but that wasn't my impression of the intent.

Craig?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Hornauer wrote:

Haven't experienced this during play, but that wasn't my impression of the intent.

For what it's worth, I agree with Kuhrusty. Pending designer ruling, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But why would it need to be spelled out specifically in this case? If you're playing an appropriate action card, can't you always activate contested spaces for combat without "spending" any of the unit activations on the units engaged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
But why would it need to be spelled out specifically in this case? If you're playing an appropriate action card, can't you always activate contested spaces for combat without "spending" any of the unit activations on the units engaged?

But 12.73 says the units aren't engaged. I think it was spelled out off in a sidebar to head off the inevitable question about whether engaging with escaped subs does take a command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, that paragraph Hornauer quoted starts with "During friendly Turns..." If you didn't play a command card, there is no friendly turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Also, that paragraph Hornauer quoted starts with "During friendly Turns..." If you didn't play a command card, there is no friendly turn.

Ah, excellent catch, counselor!

No further questions. Your witness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your help so far!

kuhrusty wrote:

Yeah, that is a good point.

kuhrusty wrote:
Hornauer wrote:

okay, so if I played a card with 10 moves and I would re-engage a combat with 6 units, I have only 4 movement left? Other case: lets say I have 6 units engaging from last turn in Paris. Next season, I play a command card that gives me 4 moves. Can I partially re-engage with only 4 units out of the 6 in Paris? And if that's possible I guess the non-participating units can be targeted/absorb damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornauer wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

okay, so if I played a card with 10 moves and I would re-engage a combat with 6 units, I have only 4 movement left?

Well... not the way I think you mean "re-engage." If you invaded a land space last turn, and at the end of that combat round, both sides still had surviving units in that space, those units are still engaged, so there's no "re-engaging"; this turn, after movement, you say "we're fighting a round of combat here."

(If you're throwing six more units into that battle, then yeah, moving those six units will use 6 of your 10 commands.)

Hornauer wrote:
Other case: lets say I have 6 units engaging from last turn in Paris. Next season, I play a command card that gives me 4 moves. Can I partially re-engage with only 4 units out of the 6 in Paris? And if that's possible I guess the non-participating units can be targeted/absorb damage?

No, you just say there's going to be a round of battle there, and everyone is involved. The number on your command card has nothing to do with how many battles you fight, or how many units are involved in those battles. The number just tells you how many units you can move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, got it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Hornauer wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

okay, so if I played a card with 10 moves and I would re-engage a combat with 6 units, I have only 4 movement left?

Well... not the way I think you mean "re-engage." If you invaded a land space last turn, and at the end of that combat round, both sides still had surviving units in that space, those units are still engaged, so there's no "re-engaging"; this turn, after movement, you say "we're fighting a round of combat here."

(If you're throwing six more units into that battle, then yeah, moving those six units will use 6 of your 10 commands.)

Hornauer wrote:
Other case: lets say I have 6 units engaging from last turn in Paris. Next season, I play a command card that gives me 4 moves. Can I partially re-engage with only 4 units out of the 6 in Paris? And if that's possible I guess the non-participating units can be targeted/absorb damage?

No, you just say there's going to be a round of battle there, and everyone is involved. The number on your command card has nothing to do with how many battles you fight, or how many units are involved in those battles. The number just tells you how many units you can move.

Totally correct.
Thanks again Rusty. Away this weekend at FallCon/Calgary.
Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.