Subject: Nuclear Air NAPs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Rogers
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
When using NAPs in logical strike can you carry and deliver more than that is in a hex. For example, there are two WP units in a wooded hex. You use a 414 to carry 3 NAP's which will be at least halved due to the woods to be two delivered NAPs. Or can you only originally carry the 2 NAPs for the two units and then the halving is only 1? Basically need arbitration for a game... I think you can / have to carry the 3 so that you can at least assure yourself that 2 get through. My brother thinks I'm limited to 2 due to only being able to use two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
curt266 wrote:
When using NAPs in logical strike can you carry and deliver more than that is in a hex. For example, there are two WP units in a wooded hex. You use a 414 to carry 3 NAP's which will be at least halved due to the woods to be two delivered NAPs. Or can you only originally carry the 2 NAPs for the two units and then the halving is only 1? Basically need arbitration for a game... I think you can / have to carry the 3 so that you can at least assure yourself that 2 get through. My brother thinks I'm limited to 2 due to only being able to use two.

First, let me clarify. What you are describing is an interdiction strike, not a logistical strike (which only happens in the deep strike phase)
You will need to carry as many NAPs as necessary, factoring in the halving for woods or air defense fire. Your 4-1-4N air unit can carry 4 air NAPs to the target, although it can only use one per attacked ground unit.
In short, the excess NAPs would simply be lost.
You carry 4 but can only use 2 so you lose the other 2. In open terrain, you would carry 2 NAPs and 2 conventional on the same strike. But if air defense fire results in an "H" then you would only get 1 NAP and 1 conventional.

I hope this helped and didn't confuse you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Rogers
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Sorry we need more clarification. So in a wooded hex with two WP units a 414. Can you carry the 3 naps knowing that at least you will be halfed to strike the two units with naps? Or are you limited to carrying 2 since there is only one per unit and be forced to only use one? Basically can you over carry to make sure you can get enough naps to strike with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can carry as many as the aircraft can hold. You would NEED 3 to cover 2 units in the woods, but if you take an "H" result on air defense fire, you will only have enough for one.

As I said before, the 4-1-4 can carry 4 air NAPs to a target. You only use the necessary amount and the excess are lost.

In your example:

I would carry three NAPs knowing that woods would cut it to two (bizarre since a nuclear blast isn't hampered by trees). Air defense fire could cut that to 1.

So, yes, you can "over carry" NAPs. Any you don't use are simply lost.

Another example:

2 Pact units in open terrain. A US F-15E (4-1-4N) wants to nuke them. He carries all 4 as NAPs "just in case" he is halved by air defense fire or intercept. If he is halved, he still has 2 NAPs to drop on the Pact units.
Conversely, he could carry 2 NAPs and 2 conventional and drop it all on the 2 Pact units. If halved by air defense fire, one NAP and one conventional are lost.

There is no limit, other than plane capacity, to the number of NAPs CARRIED, only to the number used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.