1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Should Dominion be my next purchase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
I have about 18 -20 games now, all weighted under 2. I haven't checked to see the weight of Dominion, but from what I gather, the game has tons of replay value. Plus expansions beyond belief.

I watched a few videos on youtube, and while it looks like it might be fun,
I haven't been able to really understand the play. Everybody moves so fast that I can't tell what they are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Pedro Cotrim
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I never owned Dominion myself, my gaming group had it, and so I played a ton of it when it came out.

While I agree that the game has great replayability due to diferent setups and expansions, I soon grew bored of it and haven't played it in... maybe 3 years or so?

I love the deckbuilding mechanic, but in Dominion, that's pretty much everything there is to the game... Since then I've been playing and enjoying other deckbuilding games, or where the deckbuilding is a part instead of the whole of the game - current favourites are Arctic Scavengers, Core Worlds, A Few Acres of Snow, in order of growing complexity.

The game is indeed fun and fast for newcomers, and I would still recommend it (maybe along with Arctic Scavengers) as the gateway deckbuilder, just be aware that eventually you might want to switch to something with a little bit more spice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
[q="Kotro"]Although I never owned Dominion myself, my gaming group had it, and so I played a ton of it when it came out.

While I agree that the game has great replayability due to diferent setups and expansions, I soon grew bored of it and haven't played it in... maybe 3 years or so?

[/q]

If we can manage 30 game plays, say over a year or two, I think I might find it worth it.... think that is a reasonable expectation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the people who like it. I was collecting games for about 2 years, mostly Euro style, before I finally decided to pick up Dominion and see what all the fuss was about. I loved it! I have since played some other deckbuilders like Star Realms and Trains, but the huge variety of Dominion is part of the appeal to me. I play mostly 2-player, and some 3.

While I agree there is no theme (much as we might try to invent it, just for fun), I wouldn't say the player interaction is completely zero-- there are some attack cards in the basic set, and you can choose to use them or not, as per your preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend it. It is still one of my family's go-to games. The play can be simplified to: buy cards to get points.
You use your hand of cards to take actions and buy more cards. Your whole hand gets used so your trying to get cards that are better and work together building up the effectiveness of your deck to get point cards faster than your opponents.

It is a fairly simple game and some get bored of it as mentioned above but I think that's all solved by the large and diverse amount of cards. You can get dominion fairly cheap if you shop around being that its getting old and I don't think many get tired of it any faster than any other game.
While its a paste on theme, I don't see that as a problem. The card titles and their actions correlate just fine. Its not a story game.

Great game, worth your time and money, go get it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarlicGuy wrote:
If we can manage 30 game plays, say over a year or two, I think I might find it worth it.... think that is a reasonable expectation?

Certainly. My wife and I had a couple of hundred plays before it lost its luster. It's the sort of game that plays fairly quickly, so we usually wanted to play several games at a sitting.

We added Intrigue somewhere along the way, and later got some other expansions. But 30 players out of the base set -- even three times that many -- is a reasonable expectation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just introduced it to two people (FWIW who have played medium weight games like Catan, Power Grid, Cyclades) last night, and it was a hit. Played three times in a row.

I've had it for years, and while I don't always play it every month, I'm still glad I have it around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I really like the very little "take that" aspect of Dominion. We play it often with Prosperity, Intrigue, and Seaside added in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is one of the very few games I rated a full 10/10s and it's still enjoyable and great to this day because...

...it plays super fast (E short downtimes).
...it is already excellent with just 2 players (many argue even best with 2).
...of its very high replay value.
...the playtime is relatively short (10-20 minutes, depending on the setup, number of players and their experience).
...it is easy to learn, hard to master.
...the gameplay experience varies each time depending on the available cards (focus on economy, attacking, combos, ect.). Note that each expansion has a very certain focus to go in a certain direction.
...it is very easy to learn and teach.
...it bridges the gap between a gateway and a gamer's game.
...still the purest deck-building game without any additions slowing down things.

Still, some players can have problems with...

...the insane amount of shuffling.
...the absence of a real theme.
...the limited options of player interaction.
...the addictive nature of the game (and I use this classification very carefully).
...with the huge amount of available expansions (E completionists).
...the fact that is indeed a better game with fewer players, because of its fast pace.

As someone mentioned before, player interaction is quite limited in this game and only at best comes in with certain attack cards (which you can focus on or ignore entirely). This never bothered me though, as the game is at its core a race and the deck is your engine you are hopefully building as efficient as possible over the course of the game.

If you give it a try, start slowly and just buy one of the 2 starter boxes, enjoy a good amount of rotations/combinations and then decide if it is your (and your group's) kind of game and worthy of spending more money on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Kyur did a great job of summing it up. All I will add is this was the first game that hooked my SO and I have had good luck pulling this out with non gamers. We hardly play Dominion anymore but played countless times before shelving it so I feel I got my moneys worth. The only other deck builder I've picked up since is Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon which we both enjoy but I'm not sure it would have grabbed her early on like Dominion did.

Edit = Changed "We hardly play anymore" to "We hardly play Dominion anymore" as my SO and I play games quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all pretty interesting, I just recently traded for Dominion on a whim, but have never played it before. Hopefully this will end up being a good 2p game for my girlfriend and me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Dominion is my favorite game, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

I looked over the games you currently mark as owned. You haven't rated or commented on any of them so I can only guess what your tastes are, but in general it looks as though you lean towards games that are on average lighter and more socially interactive than Dominion. This doesn't mean you won't like Dominion, but it is probably going to be a different play experience than you may be accustomed to.

If you can get a chance to play it once first, do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, get it. It is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Keith
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and I really enjoy Dominion. It is one of the first games that started me on my current board game obsession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
Yes

What he said.

Ironically, if you end up really liking deck builders, in time it will likely get overlooked when your group is looking to scratch the deck building itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
bryanldoughty wrote:
Dominion is my favorite game, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

I looked over the games you currently mark as owned. You haven't rated or commented on any of them so I can only guess what your tastes are, but in general it looks as though you lean towards games that are on average lighter and more socially interactive than Dominion. This doesn't mean you won't like Dominion, but it is probably going to be a different play experience than you may be accustomed to.

If you can get a chance to play it once first, do so.

I didn't see where to rate, but I just added comments to every game I own but one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my favorite game for a while. I eventually got a little burnt out on it but I would still never turn down a game if someone wanted to play it. I know a lot of people don't like it, but everyone I've ever showed it to has enjoyed it. And it's not a very complex game relative to other hobby board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
If you haven't played it I say get it. We definitely got ours moneys worth, but after about 100 2 player games (LOL) we got tired of it.

That said, in my opinion it is best as a 2p game. I didn't like it at 4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarlicGuy wrote:
I didn't see where to rate, but I just added comments to every game I own but one.

Good job, as only commented ratings giving reasons have value to me.

PS: Nice pick for a Christmas present (Concept), I think you all will like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bruno
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I purchased Dominion last week and I've been playing it a lot. I'm going to pick up Prosperity this weekend, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't played for awhile but it's been played at least 20 times. There is no reason we wouldn't play it in the future. As I have written a few times in different forums, if and when you get the game you will notice there are three different stacks of cards that provide VP's(With the original set-up). What I found was when you are playing the game with those cards at their listed price we were able to win the game by getting the most gold cards and just buying all the highest valued VP cards. What we did was raise the price of these cards by 3 dollars each and this led to longer games and encouraged/forced the player to utilize the action cards. We have never gone back after playing this way.

On a side note, we also enjoy Marvel Legendary and Eminent Domain which are also Deck-Builders. Both of these games add some other interesting mechanics to the Deck-Building genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is not that hard to understand, once you get the whole "Deckbuilding" concept.

It's a good game for sure. Not too heavy, but I wouldn't call it light either.

I'm not a big fan, myself, but that does not mean it isn't a worthy recommendation.

One thing is for sure, it was and is the foundation for a whole genre of games.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion left me cold when I tried it once. I found my kind of (epic) deckbuilderish game (with much more than deckbuilding) from Core Worlds. (2-5 players, 90-120minutes. I'll skip my normal blurb about it. Check my collection if you want a summary.)

For quick ones, I have enjoyed Star Realms (with 2) and Ascension: Deckbuilding Game (Ascension: Apprentice Edition for 2), but they are nowhere near as immersive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
If you give it a try, start slowly and just buy one of the 2 starter boxes, enjoy a good amount of rotations/combinations and then decide if it is your (and your group's) kind of game and worthy of spending more money on.

+1. I think one of my issues with the game is so many people have copies of it and different expansions to where it feels like there's a learning curve to playing each different setup. I accept the fact that if I had just stayed with the base game and slowly grew into the other stuff, I would of had a much better experience with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhoades
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Im a noob. Explain "weighted" as in weighted under 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.