Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in the game, especially with all the discussion on the Italian front and NA front game. I have read a few thread and Carl seems to be very supportive of all of his games and offers great support. However, I am curious as to how the scenarios play? I don't believe I would be able to play the campaign as the sweet spot for my group is 3-5 hours. Is this game mostly centered around the campaign game? For example I have EotS and while the campaign looks awesome, the 1943 and 1942 scenarios offer competitive and great fun. I usually look for balanced, and competitive scenarios in games.

Also, I have heard Carl is on the fence about the P500 as it seems to be taking longer than he would like. But, he has mentioned updates and changes he would like to make so I am hoping to hold out for these. Is there anything being done to generate support? GMT has great articles and videos?

I know Carl just posted a write up on a new game recently that is simpler but I enjoy complexity its just play time that is the hindrance. So not sure if that would be what I am looking for.

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can speak from experience. I've played all the scenarios several times except the last one. They are well balanced, play in one evening, highlight key battles of the East Front conflict, and are super fun to play. IMO, no, you don't need to play the campaign to get the most out of NR: Russian Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've played all the scenarios...

and ONLY the scenarios, still not the campaign! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
I can speak from experience. I've played all the scenarios several times except the last one. They are well balanced, play in one evening, highlight key battles of the East Front conflict, and are super fun to play. IMO, no, you don't need to play the campaign to get the most out of NR: Russian Front.

Thanks Matt for this reply and the others in BKN. That's good to know that the scenarios are great. Is the game more of an "experience" game vs a "competitive" game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The events on the cards really give character to the game (you probably know by now that this isn't a CDG). Also, the low unit density creates a lot of tension. You'd think play time would wiz by, but both sides have less units to do what they need to do -- and at times the decision making of where to position units is agonizing.

So, to your question, experience vs. competitive game - I'd say it is both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gmeista wrote:
That's good to know that the scenarios are great.

For the record, I mostly HATE scenarios! But I'll always make sure that my games have a lot of them, and that they are fun and fast to play: as it seems that gamers like them. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl,

Ironic, there's a lot I like about your NR series, especially the scenario support, yet you detest them. For me, being able to play a key period of the Eastern conflict in one evening is huge. I'm married with kids and have a pet. Leaving games set up over time is a luxury I don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Carl,

Ironic, there's a lot I like about your NR series, especially the scenario support, yet you detest them. For me, being able to play a key period of the Eastern conflict in one evening is huge. I'm married with kids and have a pet. Leaving games set up over time is a luxury I don't have.

i dont like writing rules much either, but I do make them.

Rest assured, as long as gamers appreciate and use the scenarios, the I will make as much as I can in my games.

There is ONe thing I like about the scenarios in my games: I try to put them as chronological milestones of the campaign portrayed to help showing the historical turns of events. and they are indded good for a quick play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenarios are what make or break a game for me. I really appreciate it when a game offers many in both variety of scale (learning scenario, more complex, whole campaign) and number of players. No Retreat is for two players so the latter does not come in to play, but the variety of scenarios is great. NR:NAF in particular I find is great at easing a new player into the system. Thanks for the great games Carl and thanks for providing lots of scenarios even though you don't like them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
Thanks for the great games Carl and thanks for providing lots of scenarios even though you don't like them

Thaaks for the good words. Well I don't like to PLAY scenarios in most wargames, but rest assured I will always make as many as possible for my games.

Introductory ones too, like these mini-scenarios:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allyn Glosser
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look like great little scenarios, Carl. Will they be included in the GMT reprint when (not if) it hits its P500?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Oblivious wrote:
Those look like great little scenarios, Carl. Will they be included in the GMT reprint when (not if) it hits its P500?

Don't know. It could be a great C3i Magazine add-on. If not I could *BEG* GMT to include one extra 8.5x11 cardstock sheet in the game.

Up to now they do not seem very hot in including the Solitaire game module, but I haven't said my last word about that, heck the counters are already there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What was the last word? Say solo = yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
n0mis23 wrote:
What was the last word? Say solo = yes?

Don't know yet. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.