Subject: What happens when no legal card may be played in combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation come up last night where it was during the day time, so Dracula only had 3 cards available.

Garlic was played so Dracula could not play one of his cards (escape I believe), he played a different card first turn, which resulted in the hunter winning with the symbol which disallows Dracula to play the dodge card (his last remaining card).

That meant Dracula had no legal card he was allowed to play. What is the game ruling for this situation? Or was I taught the rules incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brendover wrote:
We had a situation come up last night where it was during the day time, so Dracula only had 3 cards available.

Garlic was played so Dracula could not play one of his cards (escape I believe), he played a different card first turn, which resulted in the hunter winning with the symbol which disallows Dracula to play the dodge card (his last remaining card).

That meant Dracula had no legal card he was allowed to play. What is the game ruling for this situation? Or was I taught the rules incorrectly.

I think you may be misreading the effect of the Repel symbol which is the only one I can think you are referring to. It forces Dracula to play Dodge or an escape in the following round as opposed to disallowing Dodge.

So the situation you describe shouldn't be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As above.

The combat mechanics were designed so that there will never be a situation like that (as well as there will never be a tie when comparing the initiatives).
When Garlic was played during the day, Dracula could not play Escape for 3 rounds. Since Dodge cannot be played on the first round (it's written on the card), Dracula had to play Claws. We can assume you meant that this round ended with a Repel result.
On the second round, Claws were unavailable and Repel effect says that Dracula can only play Dodge or Escape (the latter was forbidden by Garlic) so a Dodge that was. This round couldn't finish with a Repel result (because of the design) so the next round would end up by playing Claws.
Then, Garlic effect wears off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garlic at daylight forces Dracula to play Claw->Dodge->Claw as his first 3 cards. He doesn't have a choice, but he never has zero choices, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.