Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
German government on defensive over spying reports.

Apparently, what Chancellor Merkel really meant to say is that friends don't spy on friends after October, 2013...unless, of course, they're still spying on us now and haven't been caught for that yet.

Der Spiegel among others has reported that the German government was using selector data to spy on the U.S. and European governments prior to the infamous Snowden leaks exposing NSA spying against Germany, which provoked an indignant reaction from Merkel and has led to, among other things, the expulsion of the CIA's station chief in Berlin.

"Friends don't spy on friends," said Merkel. Yeah, right. Of course they do, and rightly so. Maybe Merkel is just pissed that the U.S. has a lot more people and money to dedicate to spying, and she wants to level the playing field by calling for "assurances," "reforms," and "limitations."

As if we're all going to reach some sort of international agreement that makes spying on your "friends" illegal. Oh, wait. It usually is, but we're all doing it anyway, and no one is concerned about the equally-illegal spying on "enemies" and potential enemies.

Chancellor Merkel needs to grow up. It's a big world, and not all of the threats to our interests, safety, and security come from Usual Suspect nations. Sometimes, your "friends" can be downright unfriendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
And quite humorous. Shades of prefect Louis Renault in "Casablanca," who is "shocked, shocked" to find that gambling is going on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, only Snowden, Assange and morons thought that the whole wikileaks thing was a surprise.

This is also par of the course, condemning actions you carry out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, her rhetorics on the whole NSA bullshit started out really apologetic, probably because she knew damn well that our services do the same stuff, as much as they can, at least.

It was only after the domestic public outrage at the NSA got too big for her to ignore it any longer, and after details about the NSA tapping her own phone got published, that she condemned the practice. Until then her position was: it's business as usual.

I am pretty sure other heads of state knew that her condemnation was mainly a move of domestic politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course it's business as usual; but a more sensible strategy would have her promising to "fully investigate" and then have the investigation go nowhere. Out of sight, out of mind.

Instead, she enlisted help from the French to pressure the U.S., kicked out our Berlin station chief in true Cold War/bad-guy fashion, and made the idiotic statement that "Friends don't spy on friends." Now she's been caught in the same net, including allegations that Germany also spied on the French government. Makes her look rather naive, foolish, and duplicitous, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't catch me defending the Merkel Just adding some facts to the discussion. She's a hypocrit about all kinds of things, why not here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
You won't catch me defending the Merkel Just adding some facts to the discussion. She's a hypocrit about all kinds of things, why not here.

Ganz die Deutschren die ich kenne sagt daß Merkel gefehlt Ihnen nicht. Wie ist sie ausgewählt?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
friends absolutely do spy on each other i mean did you know that mary may be cheating on bob with steve~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
friends absolutely do spy on each other i mean did you know that mary may be cheating on bob with steve~
I deny everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
oldsin wrote:

Ganz die Deutschren die ich kenne sagt daß Merkel gefehlt Ihnen nicht. Wie ist sie ausgewählt?!

well, she lost a lot of support in the last few years. One reason she's still in charge is the political landscape and the resulting coalition maneuverings. The left wing party Die Linke and the SPD's unwllingness to form a coalition with them playing a particular role there. It's complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you think this is more political maneuvering, or is the German media just doing its job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiegel is doing its job, but the story doesn't have traction here. Refugees, VW and the allegations concerning the World Cup 2006 are dominating the news. So far I don't think there are much political points to be scored with this either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
Spiegel is doing its job, but the story doesn't have traction here. Refugees, VW and the allegations concerning the World Cup 2006 are dominating the news. So far I don't think there are much political points to be scored with this either way.
No OBAMA!!!! factor then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.