Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll just start off I love the game. As the game is Shai-Hulud is pretty devastating if you roll it, but its thematic because worms are intense and I like that. This variant will give players more access to thumpers with the hopes that someone isn’t screwed over completely by Shai-Hulud throughout the game. This will also aid the Corrino and the Fremen factions slightly, which is ok they are arguably the weakest factions.

Assumption: Shai-Hulud is overly harsh and random with little to do to avoid it, without spice to ship troops a player practically has nothing they can do to alter the board in their favor on his/her turn, leaving the feeling of a wasted turn. Corrino and Fremen are the weakest factions.

Setup: House Corrino player must hand out three thumpers receives a thumper during his/her setup. If Fremen are in the game then one goes to them as well. The other two may go to any two other players (including him/herself). A player still may not have more than 1 thumper at a time.
If Corrino is not in the game then the Fremen decide. On the rare occasion neither are in the game then the first last two players start with thumpers. The extra thumper(s) will always start in the supply.

Game Play Changes: Players may discard a thumper for another player when he/she rolls Shai-Hulud. The Corrino player on subsequent turns during the ally phase must hand out a thumper to any player including himself.

Thematic: House Corrino gets a little more authority on who has an extra resource (thumper) at the beginning. The Fremen start with a thumper because they are native and know the ways of Shai-Hulud. In the first book When Paul and Jessica were being chased by a worm they heard the sound of a thumper that Stilgar and gang set that pulled that worm away from them. So using a thumper to help another faction I’d say could be argued as canonical.

Likely Effects: This will increase the usage of thumpers thus decreasing the negative effect of Shai-Hulud. Playing thumpers for another player would create new interesting political opportunities and possible use for coercing another player to ally with you. Since Corrino and Fremen will start with a thumper they will be more likely to have a beneficial first round. I don’t forsee this variant having much effect on play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this way a couple more times I would tweak it. Only the Fremen and Corrino start out with a thumper, no others are handed out at the beginning. Then once each round Corrino must hand a thumper out during the ally phase, either to himself if he has used it, or give it to another player.

Thumper sharing is great, in my opinion.

We had a game last night where the corrino player rolled a sandworm and used his thumper. Then he rolled another sandworm and begged the Atreides for his thumper. Corrino promised to give the one he will hand out during the ally phase. Atreides obliged and then Corrino rolled a third worm! Myself as Harkonnen laughed and refused to bail out the Corrino player. This adds a fresh dynamic and some political manipulation that can be used when a worm is rolled.

Corrino later ended up winning anyway with Spacing Guild in round 5, but still a fun game. Highly recommend this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great variant, we tried it out last night and quite enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.