14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Role Playing Reccomendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rpg [+] [View All]
Ryan Ferguson
msg tools
Hey everyone, first-time poster here!

So, a few of my room-mates and I are looking for a fun board game which supports 3+ players. If you guys have any recommendations along the same lines as either Dungeons and Dragons(Role-Playing/Cooperative) or Warhammer (PvP Turn Based Strategy), only less in-depth, easier to learn, and not too pricey (too pricey being much more than $50). There's no theme requirements either. Sci-fi, WWII era, Mid evil, anything goes!

If you guys have any games that you would highly recommends, I'd LOVE to hear about them so I can read into them further!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you don't mind actualy RPG recommendations, I'd suggest West End Games' old Star Wars RPG.

It's long OOP but blows the d20 Wizards version out of the water.

Most of the core books are fairly cheap on eBay and through used bookstores (I believe I got a mint copy of 2nd Edition: Revised and Expanded for $12 in bookstore, and a couple good sourcebooks for $9-$12).

You can use Star Wars Miniatures (also a great game in iteself), for a visual representation, especially during combat. Most common and uncommon figures can be had for less than a dollar online and their are plent of sculpts you could use for your characters and NPCs; if you want to use the big names for NPCs, you'll spend between $5 and $60 per figure, so I'd not using the minis if you plan on using people like Luke, Han, Vader, Maul, Fett, etc. as NPCs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your requirements, I think you probably should start by taking a look at these games: Descent: Journeys in the Dark, HeroScape, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Return of the Heroes and Runebound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillingMachine wrote:
Based on your requirements, I think you probably should start by taking a look at these games: Descent: Journeys in the Dark, HeroScape, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Return of the Heroes and Runebound.

All excellent suggestions. For the RPGish feel I can certainly recommend Descent: Journeys in the Dark, Runebound (Second Edition) and Return of the Heroes. Descent is a dungeon crawler that pits a group of heroes against the overlord who is actively trying to kill off the heroes. It is a little pricey but great fun and it comes with plenty of scenarios to work with, plus more in their online database, and it's not hard to create your own scenarios. Runebound and Return of the Heroes are fairly similar in that they are both essentially are games where everyone is competing to be the first to complete the overall goal (usually killing the main bad guy). Runebound is a little more combat-focused while Return of the Heroes is a little more story-driven. Runebound has many expansions that really change the game, though, which is cool.

I might also suggest looking at Battlestations. I haven't played it myself but I've read about it a fair a bit and am quite interested in the game. It looks to be a sci-fi RPG distilled down to a board game.

Hope that helps get you started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes is a fairly accrate reflection of a RPG too, and playes quite nicely. Or as KillingMachine says Descent etc would get my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
return of the heroes is a great game! i would highly recommend that one. It can be played from 1 to 4 players, the board can be randomly placed and you can add exploring it is a very wide game while being not to complex. So its a good starting game. PLus there are many expansions for it.

Talisman is being reprinted so there is a great classic rpg. It will be out in October hopefully!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Two other games to look at are Prophecy and later this year Talisman will be reprinted. No one knows what it will look like, but it is in this vein.

Prophecy has far less die rolling than Runebound and has more PvP potential than Return of the Heroes (which, as I recall, has none - we never play PvP, so I don't know those rules). One benefit of Runebound is that the art is far more immersive, so if you are used to Magic decks or lots of pretty pictures, Runebound might go over better than the more schematic/imaginative RotH and Prophecy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
roth has no PVP but if you want to i guess you could add it in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen G├Ątzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also have a look at Arkham Horror and Marvel Heroes. Both seem to evoke a strong "roleplaying" feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for something that is an rpg on the light side then you might want to check out Battlestations!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12350

The game is scenerio based and designed so that one or more scenerios can be played in an evening. There is a GM and players can advance their characters through games. The core game, if you buy it at an online discounter, is probably around $30. The base game has tons of material, more than enough to keep you busy for quite awhile, but there are also two expansions which add much more to the game. I think if you bought all three products at discount it would cost you around $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ferguson
msg tools
Wow guys, thanks so much for all the quick responses! I'll do a little reading on the games and see what I come up with! Any more suggestions would be great as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a roleplaying-and-miniatures-heavy gang of gamers, with not a lot of boardgame experience. Once they got into "Descent: Journeys in the Dark", they haven't wanted to play much else. Once we added the expansion (which shifts the balance away from the heroes winning all the time) it became even *more* well received.

Granted, it is pricier than what you suggested (you can pick up both the basic game and the expansion for about 85 dollars online) but in my opinion, it is the game that best suits your description.

If you wanted something less pricey, and more general, you could pick up Runebound, or even cheaper/faster/easier you could pick up Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord or an old copy of Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i woudl suggest savage worlds and i do alot for teh rerasons see thiese links im getting fed up of actually typing the explanations of reason out so please forgive teh links rathe than a specially written piece

GAH! why cant i access which listsa nd forum posts i ahve added to in my profile anymore?

ok go to teh svage worlds listing and check out teh lisst and forums its in and its me talking http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21358

oo i found the list very similar to your request http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9553

hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also through in my recommendation for Arkham Horror. It's cooperative if you guys don't feel like competing against one another. Descent is fun. I wouldn't consider Marvel Heroes to really be a "role playing board game" it's more of a strategyish game, but still a blast to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.