Subject: What this game truly needs... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a Halfling hero !

This message was brought to you by the Frustrated Halfling Fans' Association.

Really, am I the only one who thinks he that the halflings as unexpected heroes are a crucial part of the fantasy genre's narrative ? Are we condemned to always be forced into playing humans, elves, dwarves, or any race as long as they can look bad-ass ? Has the contrast of a seemingly weak halfling hero become so unsustainable for glory-craving players ?

Outside of its Bilbo origin, the "weak but resourceful/lucky" halfling archetype worked wonders in Warhammer Quest, the classic cooperative dungeon crawl. It occasionally gave birth to out of nowhere epic moments, while consistently generating lots of laugh. Heck, the whole "we're small but we can try to tip the chances for justice" is one of the driving force behind the very successful (though mechanically limited) Mice and Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be surprised if they didn't include a halfling or Hobbit inspired character as they already have a "Legolas".

I actually would like to see more off the wall characters types like they are showing with potentially the Werewolf as a hero character. I'd love to see Minotaurs, Trolls, Lizard Man, Fairy, or a Giant as characters. Fantasy doesn't have to be "black and white" with ugly monsters as villains and "pretty" humans, elves as heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
leave hobbits with ring for the best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
These are supposed to be super duper awesome resurrected once-god-like rad heroes. So the "weak but resourceful" thing doesn't really play well to the game's background.

So my money's on no halflings.

But who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
.. Better playtest material

The complete cardboard pieces printed on one cardboard piece is really unsexy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Halfing/Hobbits

I think variety is the spice of life and someone to be there for the little folks could makes sense. Considering one of the tactics involved is getting 'command' of a tile, maybe they can subvert that to their benefit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
leave hobbits with ring for the best

Cause we all know elves or dwarves featured here have nothing to do with this ring thing.

And we also know halflings have never been associated with any other seminal fantasy work, like Dungeons and Dragons or the Warhammer universe.

In fact, the example I gave was taken from Warhammer Quest, the game which has set the standard for coop dungeon crawl (though the genre is exploding right now, for promising results), a genre which Sword and Sorcery is trying to expand. I just wanted to point that the Halfling thief character in this game worked wonders to produce awesome memories for players and whacky gameplay sequences which produced those narratives. So that could be a good idea to try to emulate (and expand) in Sword and Sorcery what I feel was a really successful game design.

And yes, I'm biased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
These are supposed to be super duper awesome resurrected once-god-like rad heroes. So the "weak but resourceful" thing doesn't really play well to the game's background.

So my money's on no halflings.

But who knows?

That's a fair point, but not a decisive one. Small heroes tipping the odds against impossible ones are a most recognizable mythical pattern. David killing Goliath, Ulysses taking on the Cyclops, Hop'o my thumb, Tom Thumb, Issun Boushi...

All of those are, mythically speaking, the very definition of heroes. And halflings are the fantasy translation of those.

Mechanically speaking, it can successfully be translated, as illustrated by the Halfling Thief in Warhammer Quest, into characters with a gameplay based on deceit, tricky powers, and random, unexpected (often weak, but sometimes spectacular) effects.

Taking advantage of tile domination could also be one way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Kinnunen
Finland
flag msg tools
I feel sorry for the Halflings. I really do. But the bigger victims are the undead. Yes they get lots of coverage in all fantasy settings. But the undead are sick and tired for being portrayed always as the villains. Especially skeletons and Liches. Just because a fella is just a walking pile of bones doesn't mean he is automatically evil! sauron

Thus they need more skeleton heroes/good guys to break this stigma that is hanging over them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perkele666 wrote:
I feel sorry for the Halflings. I really do. But the bigger victims are the undead. Yes they get lots of coverage in all fantasy settings. But the undead are sick and tired for being portrayed always as the villains. Especially skeletons and Liches. Just because a fella is just a walking pile of bones doesn't mean he is automatically evil! sauron

Thus they need more skeleton heroes/good guys to break this stigma that is hanging over them.

But aren't all the heroes from this game back from the dead already ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myfly wrote:
.. Better playtest material

The complete cardboard pieces printed on one cardboard piece is really unsexy.

Well... At least the art on the tileset - which seems to be definitive ? - is really evocative. Which is the most important, since it means we'll have good visuals in the final product. If the art was left pendant, the risk of getting a bad tileset would actually make me more wary of pledging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.