Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who's into strategy will have a field day with War of the Ring, that much is certain.
WotR is a 2-player game set in Middle Earth, with extra rules for 3 or 4 players, which is also a lot of fun, of course.

About components: first of all, the board is HUGE! There's a lot of components: cards, dice, lots of counters, and figures of course. Might be a bit overwhelming if you don't expect that, but I advise to look past it. Sure, the first time you set up the game, it'll take half an hour. But you're in for some great fun after that.
The board, figures and cards all look very nice, as do the special dice you'll be using.

Rules: start out with the quick-start rules for the first time, and you'll be fine. It's a lot to digest, but that only shows how detailed the game is. You play as either the good guys (Free Peoples) of the bad guys (Shadow).
The Free Peoples win by either taking over some important places on the map, or by destroying the One Ring. The Shadow player wins by taking over a lot of cities and strongholds, or corrupting the bearer of the Ring. For more detailed rules: go to the "rules" forum.

Only for Tolkien fans? No, not really. Obviously, it helps with the general mood if you know about The Lord of the Rings, but you can play the game without intimate knowledge of the setting. If you know about the setting, you're going to love replaying the most spectacular parts.

So, final verdict? War of the Ring has to be one of the best strategy games there is. It's highly detailed, great fun to play, very pleasing to look at. I wouldn't recommend it to people who don't like strategy games very much, but for those of you who do: play this game. You'll love it. There's also an expansion, where you can reply the great battles in Rohan and Minas Tirith (Gondor).

Oh, and you might consider getting a bigger table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty light review, a few details would help.

But it's in easy read, at least.

And I wouldn't recommend playing the quick-start rules, ever.

It'll only confuse you once you want to play the full-blown game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skinny Review, but does get the point across for players who are absolutely new to the game. I'll add a couple of quick comments, all of which have been stated before, but can definately help the experience.
None of these are manditory, but each will make the play run more smoothly.

1) Before playing, try to spray paint the figures into the "color groups" as presented by the country outlines: for the SHADOW: Sauron = Red (or just leave them Red), the Southerlings & Easterlings = Orange and Saruman's troops = yellow for the FREE PEOPLEs: Men of North = Lt Blue, Elves = Lt Green, Rohan = Dk Green, Dwarves = Tan, and Gondor = Dk Blue. The characters can remain grey, and often those can be fun to paint "at your leisure" as there is no imperative to do them all at once, like normal army troops.

2) Glue a nickel under Nazgul, to prevent them from falling over so easily (darn game costs an extra 40 cents!)

3) Have a TV tray or other small table NEAR the main gaming table and next to the FPP. Use THAT as the cemetery... helps to prevent arguments later about which troops are DEAD (out of the game) and which are just not recruited yet.

4) Use the wonderful FILES created and uploaded to BGG by some of users over the past few years. There is a file for easy set up, featuring a seperate page for each Army. I printed on card stock, trimmed and each game we place all the figs of each onto each card first; and right on the card is the initial set-up locations! There are also files for Maps that show locations of all the Towns, Citys, Fortresses; a map showing HOW MANY regions every location on the map is from Mordor (handy for Frodo); and summarys of all functions of the game rules.

5) The print on the cards is quite small. I bought on ebay a rectangular magnifying glass that fits perfectly over cards and even has a small light bulb... if any of the players are getting older and have difficult with small (I mean SMALL) print, this can be helpful.

6) I disagree that the INTRO RULES should be totally avoided. While there is no doubt that they are totally unbalanced in favor of the SP, they do allow the players to LEARN the basic game functions, flow and style of the game and, perhaps most important, what each of the ICONS on the dice is for. I have taught this game numerous times and have found that getting the hang of the icons, especially the Flags and Helmets, whose icons can initially be confusing to look at and understand, is quite important. If you are teaching the game, it's important to stress those. Also, explain that the Character deck has the ONE (sword) icon, but the other deck has BOTH icons on it... many times new players are stumped by the backs of the cards that show the "double icons"... specifically understanding the two components will get things digested better.

7) Finally, and I admit a Bias, I recommend newbies first play the INTRO game with my REVISED INTRO GAME Rules. The final 1.4 version of both the FPP and SP can be found in the Files sections; just 1 page for each side and it TOTALLY fixes the Intro. Not only will the game be MUCH more competitive, but they will have FUN playing the game WITHOUT having to contend with the LONG learning curve for ALL the individual aspects of each of the cards. It also allows for a much easier HUNT situation. Those two aspects, and a simplyed system for the effects of each "named" Character, are the Main Change from the regular game. Players who imply that learning the Intro will only "Confuse" newbies when they switch to the regular game, are also implying that the new players are smart enough to learn a Whole Unique gaming system, but somehow will be totally lost when later they have to just amend a couple of couple of items and learn a few new replacement rules.... I think not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I made a classic newbie's fault here, apparently? I thought: "let's not make it too long, or people might be bored."
Now I know I can write in more detail. Thanks for the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Debattista
msg tools
Randall Silver wrote:

About components: first of all, the board is HUGE! There's a lot of components: cards, dice, lots of counters, and figures of course. Might be a bit overwhelming if you don't expect that, but I advise to look past it. Sure, the first time you set up the game, it'll take half an hour. But you're in for some great fun after that.
The board, figures and cards all look very nice, as do the special dice you'll be using.

I just bought it recently and even though the game is great, I had missing components

I have one missing Orc regular, one missing Rohan elite and one extra Gondor elite.

Is that something common? Also the board had a minor defect with a sort of bubble in it (luckily it's on the sea area which is obviously not used).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zizou wrote:
I just bought it recently and even though the game is great, I had missing components

I have one missing Orc regular, one missing Rohan elite and one extra Gondor elite.

Is that something common? Also the board had a minor defect with a sort of bubble in it (luckily it's on the sea area which is obviously not used).

Contact Fantasy Flight customer service. They will send you the parts you're missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, as Kevin already said: Fantasy Flight will mail you missing components. A friend of mine was missing something in his Warrior Knights game, and he got the missing part 10 days later.

Hope you'll get everything right soon, it's a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Debattista
msg tools
It certainly is! I managed to purchase the last copy of it on the entire island last week and the agent told me that otherwise I would have had to wait for months before they shipped new ones out!

I did contact FFG but noy reply yet from their part

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marek madej
Canada
flag msg tools
Great Review:

Short and to the point.

Thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.