Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hades shard installation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Rogers
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Looking for clarification here. Corp has jackson installed, runner runs archives (has a hades shard in hand, but corp doesnt know this). What is the latest point that hades could be installed? Is it after the latest jackson pop or before? Does the runner need to announce he intends to access or install hades when he runs archives - if so when should he announce this?
Same questions applies for utopia shard i suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The installation of Hades Shard through its ability replaces the act of accessing cards. Therefore, it happens after the runner has declined to jack out, and after the last paid ability window. The corp will need to have used Jackson Howard before that if he's going to at all.

The runner does not need to announce his intention to install Hades Shard until he actually installs it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree with the response above me. Let me be a bit more technical and refer you to the timing of a run diagram that is in the FAQs.

Using jackson is a paid ability, and can be used several places. The last one is 4.3. Once the runner says he wants to access cards.

The moment to use the Shard is in 4.5 where he would properly access the cards and in this moment he says "wait! I wanna instead do XXX". Jackson cannot be used in response to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rogers
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Hi thats what i thought as well. Interestingly, often you can run on archives (forcing a pop of jackson) and then install hades. In effect you are getting two archives acceses for the price of one run (as you forced them to clean archives now and you have one saved for later).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rogedavi wrote:
Hi thats what i thought as well. Interestingly, often you can run on archives (forcing a pop of jackson) and then install hades. In effect you are getting two archives acceses for the price of one run (as you forced them to clean archives now and you have one saved for later).

If you suspect that they have agendas in Archives, but they have a Jackson out and ready, you can also pull a bluff with something like Retrieval Run. You play the event, and then when it comes time to access, you just access normally instead of taking Retrieval Run's effect. Most corp players won't pop Jackson, even if they have agendas in Archives, because they don't think you're going to access cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
rogedavi wrote:

If you suspect that they have agendas in Archives, but they have a Jackson out and ready, you can also pull a bluff with something like Retrieval Run. You play the event, and then when it comes time to access, you just access normally instead of taking Retrieval Run's effect. Most corp players won't pop Jackson, even if they have agendas in Archives, because they don't think you're going to access cards.

I once won a game by doing a Retrieval Run through ice with an Eater, then dropping and popping the Hades Shard. Corp didn't use Jackson because they thought I was just trying to install my Femme, and I couldn't access more than 0 cards because of Eater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skotothalamos wrote:
Corp didn't use Jackson because they thought I was just trying to install my Femme, and I couldn't access more than 0 cards because of Eater.

That is wicked. Man, do I hate Eater. It's the "replacement effect" breaker of choice, that's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skotothalamos wrote:
Novacat wrote:
rogedavi wrote:

I once won a game by doing a Retrieval Run through ice with an Eater, then dropping and popping the Hades Shard. Corp didn't use Jackson because they thought I was just trying to install my Femme, and I couldn't access more than 0 cards because of Eater.

Wouldn't Eater's restriction also prevent you from using Hades Shard's ability during the run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
skotothalamos wrote:
Novacat wrote:
rogedavi wrote:

Wouldn't Eater's restriction also prevent you from using Hades Shard's ability during the run?

It might, but he installed Hades on 4.5 (structure of a run) and there is no paid ability window after that (during a run). So the next possible window to use paid abilities is step 1.2 (structure of a turn - runner's turn). Because it's runner's turn - runner is going to resolve his/hers abilities first.

So it doesn't matter actually Everything was legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But once Hades is installed, the Corp can use Jackson during 4.5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:

At what paid ability step?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
manydills wrote:

Negative. Jackson Howard must be used during a paid ability window, and there isn't one in 4.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. Right you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Hein
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused.

Quote:
Hades Shard
Whenever you make a successful run on Archives, instead of accessing cards, you may install Hades Shard from your grip, ignoring all costs.

If you use Eater to break any subroutines, you cannot access cards. How can you install Hades Shard instead of accessing cards, if you cannot access cards? I thought that was not allowed.

Edit: Is it because the "you cannot access more than 0 cards" phrasing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hankdane wrote:
Edit: Is it because the "you cannot access more than 0 cards" phrasing?

That's exactly it. Eater doesn't prevent the "access cards" step, it simply modifies the number of cards you can access. Replacement effects don't care how many card you would have accessed, only that the appropriate step exists.

It's worth noting that if you use Eater during a run on Archives (and don't use a replacement effect), you will still turn all face-down cards in Archives face-up, because that's part of the process of accessing cards in Archives. It's just that you wouldn't be able to actually access any of them, which can be useful against certain corps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.