Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a variant that I post knowing full well it isn't intrinsically balanced - but it's a lot of fun to play if you aren't taking the game too seriously.

Who's turn it is each time is determined randomly by a die roll. The way my group plays this variant is - whoever's turn it is - when they're done, rolls the die. If they roll a "1", they get to take a turn again, if they roll any other number, then the person who would be that number counterclockwise gets to take the next turn.

My group has tried this variant twice and it's been an absolute blast. We've used either the 8 sided die that comes with the game or a regular six sided die depending on how many players we have. If there are fewer players than there are sides to the die, we just make the higher numbers a re-roll.

This variant is not necessarily fair (some players may have to wait a bit for their turn and/or the traitor may get several turns in a row) but it definately makes for a fun time if everyone is interested in having a good time. It also makes the game harder because of certain aspects that change. For example:

-You can't plan on the player with Lancelot's Armor being able to bury that one really bad card you discover and sort using Clarivoyance.

-There's no guarantee that you will have enough turns to finish a quest you travel to before it fails.

-There's the possibility that lots of cards will be traded by the king, or very few.

-In general, you can't really script out any hard, solid plans for what to do to deal with certain crisis that come up because you have no idea who's turn it will be next.

This variant is one you may want to try every so often purely for the fun factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.