msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
first of all:
i really like the scenario that Scythe takes place in and
i really like a game that makes growing your empire a rewarding experience and
i love the idea of a game that circles around a dark secret heart in its centre
but..

when i think about a world in which people grow their crops close to the remains of early 20th century heavy industry, where they exploit the lands drilling for oil and mining metals i instantly doubt the quality of those crops and the food that will be made with them.
This world seems to be set right in the middle of an ecological desaster.

Also the factory i instantly imagine more like the "Zone" out of Tarkovsky´s the Stalker than an always helpful place.

i´m sure the game is great as it is right now but maybe that could be something for a future "dark skies.." expansion?

Maybe
- going into the factory could put personal stress on your character?
- working too close to the factory might make your workers more unstable?
- food could be hsealthy or poisonous?
- producing good not only generates benefits but also pollution that can change the value of the land (and might force you to conquer different territories)?

but for now i´m very much looking forward to the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Franklin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only farm food on very specific spaces. You're not farming on oil fields or the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XalabasterX wrote:
You only farm food on very specific spaces. You're not farming on oil fields or the like.

you´re right!
i just thought in more general terms - don´t know why, but when i look at those pictures of mechs walking through wheatfields i cannot help but think about their exhaust fumes and oil leaks etc.. - might be my german childhood during the eighties..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bendig
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
That sounds like a really cool idea, like an ecological counterpart to popularity, in a way: you musn't just smash and grab whatever you want. I wonder where one could work it in, though; Scythe's gameplay seems pretty tightly wrought already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet it is steam, and later diesel powered tractors that created the huge boost in agriculture we have seen since the 1880s. Plus refrigeration, pasturization, chlorine gas sanitation of municipal water supplies, and other technology advances of the 1880s-1920s that made the food supply and municipal water supplies much safer and more sanitary than ever before.

You may want to read The Escape from Hunger and Premature Death before you decide that technology advances have somehow reduced the food supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
schroederjan wrote:
XalabasterX wrote:

you´re right!
i just thought in more general terms - don´t know why, but when i look at those pictures of mechs walking through wheatfields i cannot help but think about their exhaust fumes and oil leaks etc.. - might be my german childhood during the eighties..

mechs harvest all our wheat now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some parts of Asia still have crop farms right next to urban roads.

Myself, I kinda freaked out when I first encountered the oil wells of Los Angeles. laugh

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/08/the-urban-oil-field...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
schroederjan wrote:
XalabasterX wrote:

you´re right!

mechs harvest all our wheat now

..and are hopefully technically improved compared to those from the 20ies..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schröder

Wien
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Some parts of Asia still have crop farms right next to urban roads.

Myself, I kinda freaked out when I first encountered the oil wells of Los Angeles. laugh

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/08/the-urban-oil-field...

wow, those are impressive pictures - you definitely don´t want to happen something to that oil well next door..

sofar i´ve learned quite a lot through this thread...thumbsup

and i still believe that there is great potential in the sinisterness of that secret factory that was responisble for the weapon production of a whole war that is literally the centre of the game!
That is such an amazing thematic idea that for me it seems a bit underexploited in terms of gameplay at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.