Popular Tags: gamesplayed [+] [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all, a decent year of gaming. As always, I would have liked to play more, but grateful for the fun times I had around a game board with friends and family as well as in front of the screen competing with virtual friends. Thanks to all my mitspielers!

Face to Face, Cardboard, Around a table, etc.

Whatever you want to call it, it’s still the best medium for social gaming. Other methods have some advantages, but a telling point is that while I won’t travel hours to sit in front of a computer screen, but gladly, even eagerly, will to go to a con or to a friend’s house for the primary purpose of playing games.

422 games
114 games played once
49 games played twice
23 games played thrice
11 games played fource

This distribution will probably be similar in 2007. The less often played games are a mix of older games that were brought out to "try again," games that others wanted to try and games that I really didn't care for and may not be played again. (There will be some overlap between my second and third categories.) The first case, "trying again" were usually my efforts to inspire interest in games that I've enjoyed from the past. Sometimes they catch the group's interest and sometimes not. With the huge variety of games available between my and my friend's collection, not to mention the new releases always coming out, for a game to make the list below either I or someone I know must really like the game. In general, this is a good thing, but it does mean that some games won't get played.

NICKELS
7 Ages (5) - probably won’t be on Nickel list next year, because one of main four players in our group moved out of state. I am surprised that this made the list, but it’s a fun, though long game. This has all kinds of elements that I don’t like, but I am strangely compelled to play it when opportunity knocks. Considering the time spent in 2006, probably 60-80 hours total, my door is in splinters.
Blue Moon City (5) - Might nickel again, although my first play was my favorite. I’ll need to at least try the new tiles from Spielbox. It hasn’t grabbed me like I thought it would. It’s a fun game, but not my favorite.
Descent (5) – At least a nickel next year. Another surprise that it made this list, especially since my first play wasn’t until 11/13. It’s a big hit with my 9yo and the 13yo likes it, too. Fun dungeoncrawl and I don’t have to take it easy on the kids anymore. (I pulled a few punches in of our first game)
Times Square (5) – I hope this is a nickel or dime in 2007. My favorite of the newer Kosmos 2-player. Fast and tense.
Up Front (5) –probably nickel again if I go to Gencon, All five were at Gencon in tournament. At least thirty games online either IUFL or at PBW site.
Bang! (6) – another strong candidate for a nickel next year. How can you not like a game where you can legally shoot your kids, your wife, your friends, etc.?
Carrom(6) – good chance of dime next year, unless we get Crokinole board. I think we like the bouncing off the sides that this format allows, so we probably won’t be investing in Crokinole soon.
Jungle Speed (6) – probably a dime next year since we finally got the expansion, although the expansion with the “put your hand on top” card has led to jammed fingers.
Pokemon (6) – probably a dime, it might have been a dime this year, but I think I neglected to log some. What else am I going to do at Pokemon league while the kids play. (First choice is to get a friend to come along, second is to read game rules or a book, but when a kid asks you to play a game…..)
Power Grid (6) – at least a nickel. This is the only one on list that I don’t own, yet. Now that I know my 13yo likes it, I think I’ll have to pick it up. Great economic game that I loathed as Funkenschlag and didn’t really enjoy my first couple plays in 2004.
Roma (6) – predict a nickel next year, too. I’d play more, but don’t get a lot of 2plyr meatier games in.
Age of Steam (7) hope to see this at a dime, but probably a nickel again. I am counting three plays of Railroad Tycoon I this list (I consider it an expansion).
Cathedral (9) – probably off list next year. All of these were in the two days after we got it. Not a bad game, but there are better ones out there. It really looks cool, though.
DIMES
Toppo (11) – at least a dime next year – fast, fun, card recognition, so far enjoyed by all that have tried it.
Great Wall of China (11) – probably at least a nickel next year. This made it despite first play occurring on 12/29! My son loved it and my guests over New Years’ weekend liked it. Plays in 20 minutes, but feels like more fun than that.
Blue Moon (19) – I hope to see this one here again. Tough to get time for 2plyr games, but this is worth it. So far, I’ve only played with pre-constructs, occasionally adding emissaries.

Honorable Mentions
Augsburg 1520 (4) – predict at least a nickel. The first play of this was 12/26 and it’s been pretty well received.
Kleine Fische (4) – suspect at least a nickel. I am really surprised this one didn’t nickel this year.
Lost Worlds (4) – suspect a nickel as 9yo loved it for a couple days and I think his interest will rekindle.
What’s It To Ya? (4) – suspect a nickel. Great party game (not an oxymoron when playing with the in-law’s)

Others to watch for next year Underground(2), Gheos(2), Leonardo da Vinci (2) and Mission: Red Planet (1) all played in last two days of the year.

BSW games
Hard to beat this medium at two in the morning when one isn’t sleepy or when there’s a half hour before ______. The effortless banking, scorekeeping and rules interpretation have a lot going for it as well. It surprises me that there isn't more overlap with the ftf list.
I screen shot Jan. 1, 2006 and 2007 to compare counts.
241 games
4 once
1 twice
2 thrice
NICKELS
Niagara(5)
Um Krone und Kragen (5) I am done with this one, too.
QUARTERLost Cities (29) another gem that I’d like to play more
DIMES
Diamant (6)
Caylus (6) This just doesn’t work for me.
Halali (8) It’s easier to fire up two computers than play cardboard
Ra (12) always fun, and I’ll usually play if there are two or more mitspielers available, I’d like to play this one ftf more often as well.
Puerto Rico (13) in future, I’ll probably not play this many, it’s just taken too seriously on BSW
San Juan (16) 2 player this game really shines
HALFDOLLARS
Carcassonne and variants (61) hard to beat for fast game that’s fun without working too hard. Most of these were HuB.
Thurn and Taxis (64) loved it, but guess ~25 plays in 2007 It’s harder to get a game going than when it was new.
Honorable Mentions
Die Saeulen Der Erde (3) – implemented late in year
Funkenschlag (Power Grid) (4) hope to play more next year

SpielbyWeb (games ended in 2006)
This is a great interface for the games that this site hosts.
Since it’s limited list, I’ll refrain from the bold currency headers.

Santiago (5) – I’ll be playing this one some more, glad to see it implemented. Although this will probably remain one that is more fun ftf.
Hacienda (10) - I’ve probably depleted the land on this one. Similar issues to Tikal.
Hoity Toity (23) - Finding this online is great. I’ve always enjoyed this one, but it hasn’t sparked the same interest in my gaming groups.
Tikal (27) - I have become convinced that this isn’t my game. In two player, I don’t want to work hard enough to play well. In multi-player, the kingmaking frustrates me (even when I am recipient) I don’t expect to see this one on any of my nickel lists again. It’s fully explored territory.
Amun-Re (51) I can’t play it well, but enjoy it.

Also finished 1 Bus game.

Starting this year, I will probably be tracking my plays in the Wargame Room as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked reading your game by game analysis. One of the more interesting lists of its type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I wanted to contribute a little besides statistics :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
All in all, a decent year of gaming. As always, I would have liked to play more, but grateful for the fun times I had around a game board with friends and family as well as in front of the screen competing with virtual friends. Thanks to all my mitspielers!

Face to Face, Cardboard, Around a table, etc.

Whatever you want to call it, it’s still the best medium for social gaming. Other methods have some advantages, but a telling point is that while I won’t travel hours to sit in front of a computer screen, but gladly, even eagerly, will to go to a con or to a friend’s house for the primary purpose of playing games.

422 games
114 games played once
49 games played twice
23 games played thrice
11 games played fource

This distribution will probably be similar in 2007. The less often played games are a mix of older games that were brought out to "try again," games that others wanted to try and games that I really didn't care for and may not be played again. (There will be some overlap between my second and third categories.) The first case, "trying again" were usually my efforts to inspire interest in games that I've enjoyed from the past. Sometimes they catch the group's interest and sometimes not. With the huge variety of games available between my and my friend's collection, not to mention the new releases always coming out, for a game to make the list below either I or someone I know must really like the game. In general, this is a good thing, but it does mean that some games won't get played.

NICKELS
7 Ages (5) - probably won’t be on Nickel list next year, because one of main four players in our group moved out of state. I am surprised that this made the list, but it’s a fun, though long game. This has all kinds of elements that I don’t like, but I am strangely compelled to play it when opportunity knocks. Considering the time spent in 2006, probably 60-80 hours total, my door is in splinters.
Blue Moon City (5) - Might nickel again, although my first play was my favorite. I’ll need to at least try the new tiles from Spielbox. It hasn’t grabbed me like I thought it would. It’s a fun game, but not my favorite.
Descent (5) – At least a nickel next year. Another surprise that it made this list, especially since my first play wasn’t until 11/13. It’s a big hit with my 9yo and the 13yo likes it, too. Fun dungeoncrawl and I don’t have to take it easy on the kids anymore. (I pulled a few punches in of our first game)
Times Square (5) – I hope this is a nickel or dime in 2007. My favorite of the newer Kosmos 2-player. Fast and tense.
Up Front (5) –probably nickel again if I go to Gencon, All five were at Gencon in tournament. At least thirty games online either IUFL or at PBW site.
Bang! (6) – another strong candidate for a nickel next year. How can you not like a game where you can legally shoot your kids, your wife, your friends, etc.?
Carrom(6) – good chance of dime next year, unless we get Crokinole board. I think we like the bouncing off the sides that this format allows, so we probably won’t be investing in Crokinole soon.
Jungle Speed (6) – probably a dime next year since we finally got the expansion, although the expansion with the “put your hand on top” card has led to jammed fingers.
Pokemon (6) – probably a dime, it might have been a dime this year, but I think I neglected to log some. What else am I going to do at Pokemon league while the kids play. (First choice is to get a friend to come along, second is to read game rules or a book, but when a kid asks you to play a game…..)
Power Grid (6) – at least a nickel. This is the only one on list that I don’t own, yet. Now that I know my 13yo likes it, I think I’ll have to pick it up. Great economic game that I loathed as Funkenschlag and didn’t really enjoy my first couple plays in 2004.
Roma (6) – predict a nickel next year, too. I’d play more, but don’t get a lot of 2plyr meatier games in.
Age of Steam (7) hope to see this at a dime, but probably a nickel again. I am counting three plays of Railroad Tycoon I this list (I consider it an expansion).
Cathedral (9) – probably off list next year. All of these were in the two days after we got it. Not a bad game, but there are better ones out there. It really looks cool, though.
DIMES
Toppo (11) – at least a dime next year – fast, fun, card recognition, so far enjoyed by all that have tried it.
Great Wall of China (11) – probably at least a nickel next year. This made it despite first play occurring on 12/29! My son loved it and my guests over New Years’ weekend liked it. Plays in 20 minutes, but feels like more fun than that.
Blue Moon (19) – I hope to see this one here again. Tough to get time for 2plyr games, but this is worth it. So far, I’ve only played with pre-constructs, occasionally adding emissaries.

Honorable Mentions
Augsburg 1520 (4) – predict at least a nickel. The first play of this was 12/26 and it’s been pretty well received.
Kleine Fische (4) – suspect at least a nickel. I am really surprised this one didn’t nickel this year.
Lost Worlds (4) – suspect a nickel as 9yo loved it for a couple days and I think his interest will rekindle.
What’s It To Ya? (4) – suspect a nickel. Great party game (not an oxymoron when playing with the in-law’s)

Others to watch for next year Underground(2), Gheos(2), Leonardo da Vinci (2) and Mission: Red Planet (1) all played in last two days of the year.

BSW games
Hard to beat this medium at two in the morning when one isn’t sleepy or when there’s a half hour before ______. The effortless banking, scorekeeping and rules interpretation have a lot going for it as well. It surprises me that there isn't more overlap with the ftf list.
I screen shot Jan. 1, 2006 and 2007 to compare counts.
241 games
4 once
1 twice
2 thrice
NICKELS
Niagara(5)
Um Krone und Kragen (5) I am done with this one, too.
QUARTERLost Cities (29) another gem that I’d like to play more
DIMES
Diamant (6)
Caylus (6) This just doesn’t work for me.
Halali (8) It’s easier to fire up two computers than play cardboard
Ra (12) always fun, and I’ll usually play if there are two or more mitspielers available, I’d like to play this one ftf more often as well.
Puerto Rico (13) in future, I’ll probably not play this many, it’s just taken too seriously on BSW
San Juan (16) 2 player this game really shines
HALFDOLLARS
Carcassonne and variants (61) hard to beat for fast game that’s fun without working too hard. Most of these were HuB.
Thurn and Taxis (64) loved it, but guess ~25 plays in 2007 It’s harder to get a game going than when it was new.
Honorable Mentions
Die Saeulen Der Erde (3) – implemented late in year
Funkenschlag (Power Grid) (4) hope to play more next year

SpielbyWeb (games ended in 2006)
This is a great interface for the games that this site hosts.
Since it’s limited list, I’ll refrain from the bold currency headers.

Santiago (5) – I’ll be playing this one some more, glad to see it implemented. Although this will probably remain one that is more fun ftf.
Hacienda (10) - I’ve probably depleted the land on this one. Similar issues to Tikal.
Hoity Toity (23) - Finding this online is great. I’ve always enjoyed this one, but it hasn’t sparked the same interest in my gaming groups.
Tikal (27) - I have become convinced that this isn’t my game. In two player, I don’t want to work hard enough to play well. In multi-player, the kingmaking frustrates me (even when I am recipient) I don’t expect to see this one on any of my nickel lists again. It’s fully explored territory.
Amun-Re (51) I can’t play it well, but enjoy it.

Also finished 1 Bus game.

Starting this year, I will probably be tracking my plays in the Wargame Room as well.

What! No Twilight Struggle! And I thought I had hooked you with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only finished one ftf. I definitely nickeled At Wargame Room, maybe dimed, but I didn't log those in 2006.

I am officially hooked :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burnson
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Why are you "done with" Um Krone und Kragen? That's teetering on the brink of purchase for me but I can't make it fall into the cart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jburnson wrote:
Why are you "done with" Um Krone und Kragen? That's teetering on the brink of purchase for me but I can't make it fall into the cart.

I've only played on BSW, but was just thoroughly unimpressed. My assessment might be harsh. I'll probably try it ftf if someone wants to and may like it better there.
It may be more my problem than the game, because I usually like dice games, but couldn't get my head wrapped around this one online. Maybe actually seeing it would be a better test.
Nonetheless, my experience moved this into the try (if I have to) and probably not buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.