Subject: Help a newish collector rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steve Facie

Dallas
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I signed up for Secret Santa, but don't have an extensive war-game collection. It consists of several versions of Panzer Grenadier, Conflict of Heroes, Lock n Load, Fire in the Lake and two or three command and color style games.

What do folks think are a few games that absolutely must go on the "your starter collection isn't complete without this" list? Time period and complexity aren't dispositive. Like all war gamers, I'll move chits around without any good reason. :-)

Bonus points if it's reasonably attainable for Secret Santas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few games that are great starters.

A House Divided
Washington's War
A Victory Denied Or A Victory Lost
Fading Glory Or any of the Nappy 20 games
Age of Napoleon
Blood & Roses

Thoughts?

Good luck. Also look into Vassal. Great outlet for wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squad Leader

Advanced Squad Leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the Commands & Colors: Ancients or Commands & Colors: Napoleonics series, depending upon your taste. They are easily obtained and can be found for a reasonable price, especially compared to other war games.

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Thomas
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Space Battleship Yamato, Battlestar Galactica, Dilbert, Douglas Adams, The Tick
badge
Me ees Pearls Before Swine fan, but me no like zeeba neighba.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Simonitch
Vance von Borries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
W1815

Churchill OOP from GMT, but may be available in stores

Wing Leader: Victories 1940-1942

Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
facie wrote:
What do folks think are a few games that absolutely must go on the "your starter collection isn't complete without this" list?

Nothing, really. Some good games recs above, but there really isn't any game you must play. Tastes vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

La Bataille de France, 1940

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Combat Commander: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reluctant Enemies: starter game for OCS
Paths of Glory: one of the better card driven games
Julius Caesar or Hammer of the Scots: pretty easy but very good block wargames. If you are not afraid for something heavier... you might also consider Rommel in the Desert
Friedrich or Maria: great 3/4 player games with easy rules.
Breakout: Normandy: best area-impluse game on the market
World at War: Eisenbach Gap or Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer Looking at your current collection... these are similar games that you might like as well.
To The Last Man! very good card driven game with hidden enemy strength (makes it not good for solo play)
Holdfast: Russia 1941-42 another decent block wargame
Storm Over Stalingrad or Storm Over Dien Bien Phu 2 more area-impluse game supported with cards
Fading Glory small hex and counter wargame
Enemy Action: Ardennes never played it but it got nothing than positive reviews (it is on my list)
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 great solo game with nice narrative (do need a little bit of imagination or it is just rolling some dice) you might also consider Thunderbolt Apache Leader
Beyond the Rhine or Guderian's Blitzkrieg II real moster OCS games but you can play them against me on Vassal :p
Hold the Line: Frederick's War looking at your collection... you might enjoy this as well
Battles of the Bulge: Celles little enjoyable game about the bulge
Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944 same system as red winter but this one is still in print. Just being shipped so no idea if it as good as the previous game though
A Few Acres of Snow deckbuilding wargame

Games that are out of print but worth getting (even if already used)
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
No Retreat! The Russian Front
Napoleon's Triumph
Warriors of God
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage at least I think it is out of print (not sure about it)

Good luck. Hope you find this list usefull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve Facie

Dallas
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies everyone! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the top 100 wargames, and just starting at the top, I would suggest:

Twilight Struggle, as an example of a card-driven game.
Sekigahara (when it is reprinted) as an example of a block game.
ASL Starter kit #1, because it's cheap, and everybody should try at least some form of ASL.
Friedrich (or Maria, but it is OOP), because it's such an easy-to-play and fun game.
Operation Dauntless which will soon be printed (or Red Winter if you can get it), as an example of a more traditional hex'n counter wargame.
Guns of Gettysburg, because it's so unique and fun (I would love to suggest Napoleon's Triumph instead, but it is OOP).

Anyway, whatever you get, make sure you try a card-driven game (CDG), a block game, and a regular hex'n counter game. You mentioned tactical level hex'n counter games, but you should try some at higher levels. Red Winter and Operation Dauntless are still tactical level (grand tactical), but they have a lot of the mechanisms which are common in operational level and strategic level games, so they give you a feel for the genre. But Liberty Roads, Normandy '44 and A Victory Lost are probably also good choices to try as a hex'n counter game.

Another genre which I haven't tried myself, even though I have games in the genre, is area-impulse. Maybe Storm over Stalingrad is a good choice that is also available.

I think it's important to try different genres. Maybe you find out block games is your thing, or maybe CDGs. You never know if you don't try. The ones I suggested should be reasonably beginner-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
facie wrote:
I'll move chits around without any good reason. :-)

Hey! That's how I play wargames, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.