8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Space game without set turn limits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love games that you can set up an engine and see it work thorugh out the game. I love it in Dominion where you can run through you deck every turn with just the right set up. I love SotM when you get your super hero set up just right to get a bunch of triggers going every turn. I love playing decks in Magic where I do one thing and a bunch of other stuff dominoes because of it. But there are a bunch of games out there that have this engine building, but then have the game end after X turns. I don't like this because it usually ends shortly after I feel I have my engine up and running and I don't feel satisfied that I got to use it to it's best potential. The best comparison is TI3 and (can't remeber the counter part at the moment). I love TI3 more because there is no turn limit. But the game is so long and competitive that most of my gaming group don't like playing it.

I said all of that to get down to one question. Is there a game like Twilight Imperium 3rd edition, that is shorter or more people are generally willing to play, but doesn't have a turn limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly my sentiment. Eclipse looks like a fabilous game, but the 9 turn limit (if I recall correctly) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. You could always house rule it so that the game ends when x event occurs instead, like destroying galactic center, exploring all tiles, etc.

I am interested in the answer to this though.

SUBSCRIBED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Galactic Emperor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
In board games? Probably not. There are a number of good reasons for this limit in board games.

Look up a video game called Space Empires IV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong so someone please verify this but I believe Space Empires: 4X does not have a set amount of turns. I own it but have yet to get it to the table and it's been a bit since I read the rules. This is primarily a two player game though.

Marcodel wrote:
…Is there a game like Twilight Imperium 3rd edition, that is shorter…

One thing I will mention here is the 4 player rules for TI3 have each player pick two strategy cards per turn which for our group cut the time down to closer to 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Sill long but less then half our typical TI3 play with 5 or 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Madison

Houston
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X doesn't have a turn limit. It also happens to be a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System plays to a set amount of VPs. This game won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.