Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I last night sat down for a game of ASLSK, playing for the first time in a about a year. We've been playing ASL off and on since the early 90s, but unfortunately don't have the time to play big, full ASL scenarios.

We randomly selected S13 and diced for sides. I ended up with the Allies, comprised of a mixed Greek/ANZAC force with 3 Bofors AA guns, defending an area of Crete. He had a rather sizable force of German Fallschirmjäger, who are attempting to knock out the guns to support additional landings.

The objective is straightforward. The Germans must capture or destroy all three guns in 6 turns. The allied forces have quite a challenge, as the Germans have superior numbers and quality of men. Furthermore, the Germans do not setup on board, entering along any edge on turn 1. Therefore, the Allies have to plan their defense around multiple potential attack zones.

There are a variety of ways to approach this scenario as a defender. Going man-for-man isn't an option, as the Germans will simply steamroll over the meager Allied forces. For the Allies to win, they must be willing to sacrifice squads to delay the Germans, so I realized most of my men would probably be killed. Finally, the Germans have a lot of troops, and will benefit from massing their fire, especially considering the heavy hindrance modifiers they'll be facing from the in season grain. Therefore, as a defender I have to spread out, meaning that a 24 column shot puts at most a squad and a half at risk.

After considering this, I decided to focus my forces on 3 main defense points. I looked for areas where I could cover multiple avenues of approach, and a spot where I could have an "Alamo" where my forces could slowly fall back to and make a final stand (the blue box below). Furthermore, I decided to place two of my guns close to the front line, figuring that my opponent likely wouldn't split his forces. This would allow me to deal with one threat at a time, and reposition my forces, using interior lines, to deal with his assaults. The final gun, I buried deep in the wheatfield, at the "Alamo".

My opponent decided to enter his forces on the north and east sides of the board. He entered a sizable force in the north wood, opposite my small group of Greek defenders. The other came across the east wheatfield, in an effort to pinch my defenders in the east wood, where one of my guns was located. Not fearing my brave Greeks (despite my many taunting of "WE ARE SPARTA!!!), he moved a big stack straight towards the them. They let loose with defensive fire and the first die role was snake eyes, wounding the leader and breaking all the squads! Take that!!!

However, the victory was short-lived as my opponent skillfully surrounded the woods salient, killing a squad of Greeks and driving the rest into the center wheatfield. However, brave Sgt. Bogdas refused to abandon his post and entered into a melee with a half squad on turn 2 (more about that later.)

Meanwhile, the Germans in the east field were slowly trudging through the grain towards the first gun, whose fire was completely ineffectual. My ANZAC light machine gunners were popping off good harassing fire, keeping the Germans from completely breaking through where the Greeks had once been. However, realizing on turn 3 the first gun was going to fall, they skulked back behind the woods. Fortunately, my opponent's average die roll for attacks and morale checks were 8, resulting in extremely poor progress.

By turn 4, the first gun was taken and I had lost all my Greeks except for a half squad (one squad causality reduced itself in rally phase two turns in a row eliminating itself...ouch!) As you'll note, Sgt. Bogdas is still fending off the half squad in a melee in the east wood. To make matters worse, the second gun malf'd on its 3rd shot, and was promptly broken when the crew attempted repairs the next turn. Way to make it easier for the Germans. It did manage to take out a charge by a half squad carrying a DC...which I really wanted to grab, but stopped myself.

This all setup for a classic, ASL end scenario human wave for the last gun. My opponent, having studied classic Russian human wave formations, surged forward. He outnumber me 3 to 1, and felt confident that he could simply overwhelm the remaining half squad and crews. His goal was to draw as many defensive fires as he could, freeing a squad or two to CC the crew of the last gun. I carefully held my fire until I could ensure multiple first, subsequent, and final shots. A half squad in R4 managed to get 5 shots off, until he failed a MC on a final fire shot against the last squad of Germans rushing adjacent to him. My half squads behind the gun managed to pin another group moving from the north, but I couldn't stop a final group getting next to the gun.

The final gun held its fire, until DfPh. Shells went flying, scoring another snake eye hit on an unbroken stack. My remaining ANZAC forces scored a 4 against the remaining unbroken squads, breaking all of them. All that was left was a single 8-0 leader, to go into CC against the gun crew for the win.

As attacker, my opponent rolls first...3. My crew is dead. I need a 7 to wound, 6 to kill...5. In a flurry of pistol fire and hand grenades, we've managed to kill each other in CC, securing the victory for the Allies!

Unfortunately, brave Sgt. Bogdas did not make it. Just as the crew finished off the German leader, he finally succumbed in his melee, which had lasted an amazing 4 turns (8 dice rolls).

Wow, this was what ASL is all about. So many little stories within the battle, constant ebb and flow, and having it all come down to the wire. This is why we love ASL, as we will tell stories about this scenario for years to come.

In full disclosure, my opponent's dice rolls crippled him early on. While my dice weren't fantastic, every time I needed a good roll, I got it. While I think this scenario is consistently winnable for the Allies, it requires a solid setup and willingness to sacrifice your troops to delay the Germans. On the other hand, the Germans have to move fast and swift, and not be tempted to take massive Prep Fire shots just to knock out a squad or two.

All in all, another great game of ASL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta love this scenario. With the Germans I think it is a good idea to bring at least one HS from each direction, as this makes routing for the Allies very difficult, if not impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
With the Germans I think it is a good idea to bring at least one HS from each direction, as this makes routing for the Allies very difficult, if not impossible.
As you showed me a couple of weeks before! Yes, I can confirm, this is a good tactic! And a good scenario too! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
Gotta love this scenario. With the Germans I think it is a good idea to bring at least one HS from each direction, as this makes routing for the Allies very difficult, if not impossible.

I agree. Although my opponent didn't setup this way, and it doesn't show in the pictures, he did get many of his half squads in place to cause routing problems throughout the course of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls