Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the alt-history scenarios, it is possible for Britain to control Germany. Does this have any game effect other than giving Britain 5 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Re: British control of Germany - any effect other thsn points?

Only in the one that calls for it. Understanding and Control can only be placed where they show up on your objectives chart.

There is no particular bonus to having control in Germany--surprisingly--except that it prevents Germany from placing any PFs there and it consequently loses the ability to use home base as a reserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

Only in the one that calls for it. Understanding and Control can only be placed where they show up on your objectives chart.

There is no particular bonus to having control in Germany--surprisingly--except that it prevents Germany from placing any PFs there and it consequently loses the ability to use home base as a reserve.

Makes sense, thanks. Thematically it's weird that a British-controlled Germany can still act independently outside the Fatherland, but that's the only restriction I can see in the rules. The powers that want an understanding with Germany may wish to prevent British control in this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Well, that's the great challenge with that scenario. It is very difficult to achieve given everyone else's interests. You really need to work on some alliances to try to get somewhere. Hope you've found a group to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately York UK where I live has a game club called Beyond Monopoly! that meets 4 times a month. It's mainly Euro gamers, although there is a group of wargamers in the club (of which I count myself one).

I've tabled this 4 or 5 times this year (my son got me a 2nd hand copy last Xmas) and it's gone down surprisingly well with both Eurogamers and wargamers. The negotiation aspects are really fun and everyone gets involved.

We played the Anglo-American alliance for the first time last Saturday (when the question was posed) and really enjoyed it - it's probably more fun than the standard game, especially for the US (which I played - we draw chits to determine sides). We got a joint US-Germany win, just one point ahead of the other three!

We have been playing it wrong tho' - we've been having combat and adjusting control / understanding at the end of each player's PF allocation rather than doing all combat after all PF allocation. It still works (and is still fun), but I'm keen to try it with the published rules rather than Jim's unintentional "didn't read the rules right" variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Yea, I've played a few games where the rules "evolved" over time. And, being the one who usually took up the responsibility of reading the rules I definitely took some flak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.