1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Will FoD has expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
This game looks very cool and interesting. However, I want to ask will it has expansion in the future. I really like to have many expansions to increase the replayability and it is just fun to fill up the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Not all games need expansions. This trend needs to go.

But, of course, if it is a fun expansion that doesn't add bloat to the game, I am ok. Especially, if it comes after 1 to 2 yeas of the base launch, revitalizing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear god no! Nooooooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions for expansion's sake!? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
Expansions for expansion's sake!? Really?

Why not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
My only issue with an Expansion, is what is there to add. Another player adjusts the balance of the game, and who would you add most of the characters who are not dead appears as allies in the game, so who is there to add? More locations again throws off the balance, a USA map, cool but not ticket to ride and makes little sense. more items and events ok sure its welcome but again it can throw off game balance and that is not that much of an expansion. A traitor variant, why? As a sequel to the novel Dracula there is not much one could add to the game as an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mcloud357 wrote:
My only issue with an Expansion, is what is there to add. Another player adjusts the balance of the game, and who would you add most of the characters who are not dead appears as allies in the game, so who is there to add? More locations again throws off the balance, a USA map, cool but not ticket to ride and makes little sense. more items and events ok sure its welcome but again it can throw off game balance and that is not that much of an expansion. A traitor variant, why? As a sequel to the novel Dracula there is not much one could add to the game as an expansion.

I think you make a great point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The only expansion the first two versions of the game had was with the first version. They put out a small expansion that simply added Mina Harker as a fourth Hunter. The game really doesn't need one and as much as Fantasy Flight goes overboard with the expansions (they finally turned me off Arkham Horror because of them) they don't always do so with stand alone boardgames such as Britannia, Letters from Whitechapel and of course Fury of Dracula (second edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
More encounter cards, traps and weapons I don't think would be a bad thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
The only expansion the first two versions of the game had was with the first version. They put out a small expansion that simply added Mina Harker as a fourth Hunter. The game really doesn't need one and as much as Fantasy Flight goes overboard with the expansions (they finally turned me off Arkham Horror because of them) they don't always do so with stand alone boardgames such as Britannia, Letters from Whitechapel and of course Fury of Dracula (second edition).

Letters from Whitechapel is getting an expansion! It's not an FFG production, but the original Italian company. Who knows if it will actually be released in the US by FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of expansions for their own sake but surely Holmes and Watson as hunters??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never understood how a Holmes / Dracula crossover could make any sense. One is about a material world turning out to be a magical one (Dracula) and one about seemingly supernatural events always having a natural explanation (Holmes).
sweaty wrote:
Not a fan of expansions for their own sake but surely Holmes and Watson as hunters??

Edit: I look like a real party pooper on this thread don't I... *grumble grumble* humph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
It kind of does not work for another point, being that Van Helsing (minus being German was based on Homles to begin with. It would be like having a batman board game with Zorro and The Shadow in it as well, they are both part of the bases of batman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
I never understood how a Holmes / Dracula crossover could make any sense. One is about a material world turning out to be a magical one (Dracula) and one about seemingly supernatural events always having a natural explanation (Holmes).
sweaty wrote:

Edit: I look like a real party pooper on this thread don't I... *grumble grumble* humph.

Feel free to read a Study in Emerald! It replaces Dracula with Cthulhu Mythos, but its a great short story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I think you could add a lot of additional encounters and rumor cards that could involve things like castles, and crypts.

but what I think would really be an interesting new theme that would make a lot of sense is a Wrath of Frankenstein's Monster expansion pack that adds a north pole board.

Hear me out here, remember in the original books the monster murders Stein's loved ones and flees to the north pole, all the while Victor Frankenstein chases him vowing to destroy the monster he created. I think a game where you not only have to hunt the monster but also protect Victor's loved ones from being murdered by the monster would make for a really interesting game and could quite easily use the Fury of Dracula board without missing a beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Cardozo
United States
Merion Station
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be in favor of Maybe Jonathan and Quincy as full on optional characters, and maybe the ability for Dracula to corrupt a player to his side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperador Carlos wrote:
I'd be in favor of Maybe Jonathan and Quincy as full on optional characters, and maybe the ability for Dracula to corrupt a player to his side.

Quincy dies in the novel though and the board game is set later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
In the 2nd ed he was a zombie alley of Dracula but you are still correct that it is a sequel to the novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcloud357 wrote:
In the 2nd ed he was a zombie alley of Dracula but you are still correct that it is a sequel to the novel.

Oh nice! I didn't know that. In Clive Leatherdale's book on Dracula he advanced (very convincingly) the theory that Quincy was on Dracula's side all along. As far as I remember it he points out that Qunicy happened to be always guarding the spot where Dracula escapes, coupled with his shady past and bat knowledge. And finally his stabbing of Dracula with the knife just at the moment when darkness falls, begging the question: why is Dracula killable with a knife whilst the other vampires needed a stake? Perhaps Quincy was just trying to make it look like a convincing defeat? Does Dracula turn to dust or is he really escaping as a mist? That kind of thing. Poor Quincy. Not much of a reward.

(Edited for typos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
well he was the best alley the count could get it, but yeah his reward no Bueno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More event, item and encounter cards would be welcome for me. Not sure it needs any new mechanisms but I am open to the idea.

I would also like a smaller map (maybe the UK (including Whitby)) that would be a better fit for a quicker and more manageable 2/3 player game with only 2 hunters. It would also help with new players. The current map has 60 odd locations so maybe halving that I think would work well. Not sure what else would need tweaking though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyMooMan wrote:
More event, item and encounter cards would be welcome for me. Not sure it needs any new mechanisms but I am open to the idea.

I would also like a smaller map (maybe the UK (including Whitby)) that would be a better fit for a quicker and more manageable 2/3 player game with only 2 hunters. It would also help with new players. The current map has 60 odd locations so maybe halving that I think would work well. Not sure what else would need tweaking though.

Intriguing notion, of a shorter, quicker version. Title suggestion:
"The Fit of Pique of Dracula".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Intriguing notion, of a shorter, quicker version. Title suggestion:
"The Fit of Pique of Dracula".

I was thinking Dracula Express or Dracy Mc Quick Quick but yours works as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Australia
flag msg tools
I was having a game this evening and after a discussion with my brother we had the thought that possible (mini) expansions could swap Dracula out for other notable vampires from the aristocracy of the night, e.g. Elizabeth Bathory, Count Orlok, Lord Ruthven, Carmilla. These would just be an alternate character sheet (with their own rules) and accompanying figurine. Could possibly add in extra encounter cards and items to spice things up.

I also wondered if you could deal with the the number of players problem by limiting the game to specific regions. Thematically you could say blocked out regions are already under Dracula's influence.

**Both of these points may have already been made by others on this forum, I just haven't bothered to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering current FFG trends maybe an app with an AI for Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.