Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Smith
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I saw the pictures posted and thought the color choices for the space station were pretty bland, but I reserved judgement until I could see it firsthand. I saw the game yesterday up close and my fears are confirmed.

I like the space backdrop on the board, it's a bluish hue and it's well done. I do think the Spawn (black tokens) get soaked up into the background too readily though and disappear.

The space station tiles are just blah though. It's a bunch of grey tiles with red, yellow, blue, and green accents. I'm not a fan compared to the bright pop of the original (or 30th anniversary) Survive. A big grey blob might look like a space station, roughly, but I don't think it makes a game aesthetically pleasing.

Once you flip the tiles, the artwork is good and there's a lot more color in play. I just think this version of the game is a miss in the visual impact department.

I'll hopefully get a chance to play it this week, but I'm disappointed in the product. A big piece of what makes Survive such a good family and crossover game is the bright visual appeal, I think this version is visually boring. Meh, we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Space Station in the center is supposed to be... a space station, which is gray/silver metalic. Let's face it, think "Death Star". That is what we were going for, and we succeeded completely, in our opinion. YMMV...

The colored section of the 3-D tiles, which use a different color and shape for each of the FOUR different height tiles are to ensure it's color-blind friendly.

And, as I mentioned, there are FOUR different height tiles:
- approximately 2mm tiles, 4mm tiles, 5mm tiles, whopping 6.2mm tiles.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, but we believe this game is beautiful in all regards, exactly what we wanted it to be, and in particular the big chunky components, which are substantially larger than our original Survive.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonny Bohnanny

Nebraska
msg tools
I would be interested to see what other options were considered for the art on the back of the tiles. I think the little dots / sprinkles could have been left off some of the tiles. They mix in with the stars a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonny Bohnanny

Nebraska
msg tools
I don't think it's going too far to mention that the cargo bay tiles appear to have more detailed art. I can see that they are suppose to look damaged, but there really seems to be a difference in the detail and sort of weathered look. It would be great to have that same detail and shade layers with maybe smaller cracks on the rest of the tiles.

Am I the only one seeing this?

Regarding:
Quote:
but we believe this game is beautiful in all regards

I'm just not there with you on the cards for The Crew Strikes Back expansion.

Teaser image above.

And this, the one below, is closer to what was released...

And based on the comments, perhaps feedback... oh never mind. Why is the art style so different? The other images posted as teasers seem to be further developed than what shipped. What gives? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.