oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most famous and my favourite is Apache Leader. But it is not a simulation. It is a great game with a simulation feel to it. Exciting, and aircraft moves and attack in a way that makes sense. But the setup, even ahistorical, is just a setting for an exciting game.

Old B-17 Queen of Skies, is closer to a simulation. You follow each bullet as it rip through the B-17.

ECA: Dambuster Raid have a more dull map than B17QoS. But it is night anyway. While B17 has just a single scenario, ECA have plenty that all seems interesting.

ECA tells a story much better than B17. In B17 you learn that a crew member is sent home with frostbite. What happens in ECA is way too much to mention here. But you should really check the scenario book (download file section.) and read a few examples.

I did not expect much of a single bomb run scenario. But it is much better than expected. Flying low and constantly fight for correct speed and altitude. Way off and you make a go around. Maybe drop a flare for better visibility and an experience bonus from first run, you have better chance of success - if you survive the flak.

This scenario plays in 30 min - including picking counters from bags and setup.

You can walk through this scenario in the Example of Play - also found here in the files section.

This can be my solitaire airwar simulation favourite after a few more plays. And of course full campaign.

Did ECA slip under Marnaudo`s radar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Prodi
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i asked Marco on the You Tube about the game some months ago and he responded that, unfortunately, the game never "clicked" for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask, which YouTube channel are you guys referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably it's Marnaudo's channel which is here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, okay. I've watched this channel before...just didn't know his real name. I like his stuff, his videos are very informative and he covers a very wide breadth of games.

I am surprised at the lack of YouTube walk-throughs and play sessions for this one, though. They would come in helpful for the Flight and Campaign scenarios. I'm sure I will be able to get the rules straight in time, but a good YT can greatly streamline the process.

In fact, I was hoping Stuka Joe would have tackled the Dambuster Raid (he's got a series about B-17 so I figured this one would be in his wheelhouse as well). I really like his videos for their high production value and instructive pace. His tutorial for Churchill was fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Craig
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Stuka Joe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not seen Stuka Joe's channel before - I'm off to have a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Künzle
Germany
Rostock
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
eker wrote:
..ECA tells a story much better than B17. In B17 you learn that a crew member is sent home with frostbite. What happens in ECA is way too much to mention here. But you should really check the scenario book (download file section.) and read a few examples.

...This can be my solitaire airwar simulation favourite after a few more plays. And of course full campaign.

I would have preordered this game, or even bought it for full price after release, except for the extremely unfortunate use of the "N-word" in the rulebook. I'm African-American, and there is no way on earth that I'm going to pay my hard earned money for a game in which I have to see that word every time I open a rule book.

A white person is probably not going to "get it." He will roll his eyes and complain about "political correctness," and insist upon the necessity of using that word in this particular wargame because of its "historical context." That's OK. I don't expect most of you to "get it." One reviewer at GMT's website even said he, himself, didn't consider it to be offensive. Well, OF COURSE he wouldn't.

As far as I'm concerned, the use of the N-word in ECA is nothing more than an excuse for a bunch of white wargamers to say it, repeatedly, out loud. It is the dumbest editorial decision I have ever seen in my 40+ years of wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony M wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, the use of the N-word in ECA is nothing more than an excuse for a bunch of white wargamers to say it, repeatedly, out loud.

I actually find that comment quite offensive.

To put some context to this, the word is mentioned in a side-bar box on page 45 where it states that it was the name given to the dog. In the game itself, the relevant counter is labelled "Jinx", referring to the fact that the dog's death, who was seen as a lucky mascot, had a demoralising effect on the crews.
In avoiding the use of the word in the game and confining it to the historical context box, I think that they've handled the matter quite well.

I can't imagine any of us
Tony M wrote:
white wargamers
setting up this excellent game just to use the word jinx repeatedly, out loud.
The type of moron who might do so with that other word wouldn't understand the rules anyway.

It's a shame you find the use of the word in a historical reference section offensive, but please don't try to label us all as racists based on the colour of our skin (ironic at best).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Wilson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Sadly, content of character (the most important thing) seems to count for little anymore.

History isn't always warm and fluffy (is it ever?) and airbrushing reality out of it to suit modern "sensibilities" is an idiocy that I fought continually when I taught.

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony M wrote:
eker wrote:
..ECA tells a story much better than B17. In B17 you learn that a crew member is sent home with frostbite. What happens in ECA is way too much to mention here. But you should really check the scenario book (download file section.) and read a few examples.

...This can be my solitaire airwar simulation favourite after a few more plays. And of course full campaign.

I would have preordered this game, or even bought it for full price after release, except for the extremely unfortunate use of the "N-word" in the rulebook. I'm African-American, and there is no way on earth that I'm going to pay my hard earned money for a game in which I have to see that word every time I open a rule book.

A white person is probably not going to "get it." He will roll his eyes and complain about "political correctness," and insist upon the necessity of using that word in this particular wargame because of its "historical context." That's OK. I don't expect most of you to "get it." One reviewer at GMT's website even said he, himself, didn't consider it to be offensive. Well, OF COURSE he wouldn't.

As far as I'm concerned, the use of the N-word in ECA is nothing more than an excuse for a bunch of white wargamers to say it, repeatedly, out loud. It is the dumbest editorial decision I have ever seen in my 40+ years of wargaming.

Definitely don't buy Rihanna's new album, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.