Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken McMillen
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When the bank runs out of money during an operating round, does the game end after that particular OR, or do you complete the entire set of OR's as in other 18XX games? I am asking because the rules say "complete the operating round which is in progress and note the sums (payouts) due". Using the singular tense of operating round means to me to finish the round you are in, not others which may follow (for instance, if you are in the 2nd of 3 total OR's.) I saw an article on BGG somewhere sdescribing a sample game where they finished all the OR's in the sequence, and it just so happened that a company reached the end of the stock market. Both end-game conditions were reached and it was unclear what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems clear to me under Rule 6.2 (and quoted by you) that when the bank runs out of money you finish only the current operating round (not set). Yes, this is different from most of other 18xx games I've played. Should a company reach the highest price then the game ends at the end of that company's turn (i.e. do NOT complete the Operating Round). I'm not aware of any rulings which modify these ending procedures and a quick check of Blackwater Station doesn't mention any, so if I was playing I'd have to go with the way 6.2 is written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Vaughan
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill is right re how the rules are written, but I have always played through to the end of the full set of ORs as a variant house rule, which I believe makes for a better game. If you scan through the other posts this would seem to be popular with a lot of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1825, playing out the full 3 ORs is unnecessary. The rule is required in 1830 (and its spin-offs) to avoid gameyness in the final SR - you could potentially come out ahead by cashing out all your stocks to break the bank and trash everyone else's stock value, which it's unlikely they'd make back in even one OR. It wouldn't necessarily be a *good* idea, but you want to avoid the temptation.

Because that option is unavailable in 1825, there is no need to play the full set of 3 to deter it. Because stocks can be freely bought and sold without hosing anyone, there is no particular reason that the ORs need to come out even with respect to the SRs. So we always play the way the game was designed.

I think this is better, because the game will be of a more consistant actual length. Since a lot of 18xx is timing, having the game end on the OR the bank breaks makes the length of the game less random, and so the payoffs on various investments less random.

We have, however, always used a house rule that if a stock hits the end of the track, we play out the complete OR instead of ending immediately. This could be an issue in 1853, where the game would often end by someone maxing out their stock. But it's never happened in 1825, which I think is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.