Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Chiu
Australia
Chatswood
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Right now I am still very ambivalent about backing the game - Yes the story looks enticing and all, but I am quite underwhelmed by the rulebook, seeing that it's a $100 investment (as compared to $80 nextdoor at Scythe) Now the question is - Will you guys be backing it? Why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anything has changed for me. I still find the project interesting, it looks like a great RPG in a box and while I haven't been through the full rule book, the bits I have seen look decent.

The problem for me, as I said in my KS geek list is that I don't think I can get this to the table at home. So it is basically too big for me. If there was a smaller starter set at around $50 then I might take the risk, but $100 even with the great value per model Middara has offered, means I am happy to stay $1 backer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now its looking like no. In the time since this KS launched, Gloomhaven captured a pledge from me, and I've currently got Scythe and the 7th Continent going as well.

Middara was the first game I've ever just pledged $1 for to gain access to the Pledge Manager because they just didn't seem capable of actually producing the game in a timely/polished manner. I got memories of Myth way too strongly.

Now, if they had offered a significantly cheaper Standees version like Gloomhaven did, I'd take a gamble, but as it is, they have no real manufacturer, it took them forever and a day to put out the rulebook, and we still haven't been graced with a newer gameplay video.

Meanwhile, Gloomhaven has released full PnP of a beginning scenario, along with digital versions for Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia. Scythe has plenty of homemade videos, GenCon videos, and a PnP. 7th Continent has a PnP in the works, but has plenty of reviews and how to play videos up.

I admit that I'm fully judging the company by how they ran the KS--and they just haven't shown any improvement since then to get me to willingly take the risk. Especially right now, when they've got a ton of competition for my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:

Now, if they had offered a significantly cheaper Standees version like Gloomhaven did, I'd take a gamble...

Meanwhile, Gloomhaven has released full PnP of a beginning scenario, along with digital versions for Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia.
Obviously there's a lot of personal preference here, but I don't think standees are a good idea. I personally think standees look terrible, and I probably wouldn't get over that first visual hurdle with any gasme that had them. I saw Dead of Winter on TableTop and it felt like an 80s throwback. If you want cheaper manufacturing I think you're better with meeples or tokens.

That said an intro scenario PnP does sound like it would be a great idea. I'd find someway around the standees, probably by grabbing some Krosmasters, but it is a good plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temeraire wrote:
InkSplat wrote:

Now, if they had offered a significantly cheaper Standees version like Gloomhaven did, I'd take a gamble...

Meanwhile, Gloomhaven has released full PnP of a beginning scenario, along with digital versions for Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia.
Obviously there's a lot of personal preference here, but I don't think standees are a good idea. I personally think standees look terrible, and I probably wouldn't get over that first visual hurdle with any gasme that had them. I saw Dead of Winter on TableTop and it felt like an 80s throwback. If you want cheaper manufacturing I think you're better with meeples or tokens.

That said an intro scenario PnP does sound like it would be a great idea. I'd find someway around the standees, probably by grabbing some Krosmasters, but it is a good plan.

1,369 people pledged for the Standee version of Gloomhaven. The monsters are already standees, so that's part of it admitedly. But at the same time, that allows them to have a lot more enemies than a mini-based game.

And obviously I disagree. The art quality on Dead of Winter's standees is phenomenal. And all together it feels way more alive than a game that might have had a bunch of unpainted minis for a much higher price.

Do I like minis? Absolutely. But I'd almost always take a standee version if offered at a cheaper price, and apparently a lot of other people would too. For something like X-Wing or Armada, the minis absolutely shine. Cthulhu Wars is another place where the minis are magnificent. But at the same time, for an adventure-y board game, you can't escape the fact that the minis start out unpainted, and the terrain is almost always flat cardboard with a drawing on it anyway. Walls are flat, doors are flat, so just having a few minis, in my mind, usually just makes the difference that much more obvious.

That, or you get a situation like Mage Knight, where the minis are hilariously bad and standees would have just been much nicer looking in the end.

Or you end up in a place like Kingdom Death, where the game is $400 because of minis when you could have gotten into a lot more hands with standees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:

1,369 people pledged for the Standee version of Gloomhaven. The monsters are already standees, so that's part of it admitedly. But at the same time, that allows them to have a lot more enemies than a mini-based game.

Good numbers argument. Maybe standees and starter sets can both go onto the publisher's radar for another time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
InkSplat wrote:

The numbers for Gloomhaven are misleading I think. The reason is because there was no pledge that would allow you to get models for both the heroes and the monsters.

There was two main reason why I went for the standees with Gloomhaven.
(i) I think mixing standees and sculpts are the worst of both worlds. I would want either all standees or all sculpts, having a mix for me is pointless.
(ii) I don't have to paint the standees. Ideally, painted minis look wonderful but in practice, I know I'll just have grey bits of plastic moving around the board if I went for the sculpts.

Three reasons, there are three main reason why I went for the standees. Cost.

With Middara, if I was given the choice between the existing $100 pledge with sculpts or a $60 version with only standees, I would still go for the $100 version. The reason is because there are a bucket-load of really good looking miniatures due to the stretch goals that were reached. I think it's good value and well worth the extra, even if I never get round to painting the miniatures.

The Middara sculpts are also quite distinguishable, certainly the heroes seem easy to tell apart even from 3 feet away. Even if not painted, it shouldn't be too difficult to tell which model is which. Not so sure that will be true for Gloomhaven.

Mind, I also think it would be a good idea to have offered a Standee only pledge. I suspect the standee version could be released sooner, meaning there wouldn't be such a wait to play. This would apply to the Miniature pledges as the miniatures could be part of the wave 2 shipment.

One argument against this is Retail. It's not a good idea to divide the Retail market by having two version of the same product. I would imagine that for Retail, there would only be one version available, and I suspect that would be the miniatures version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't decided. Right now no, but I'm hopping to see prototype mini's before the pledge manager closes. So maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Węgrzyn
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a full backer myself I find some of the comments hilarious. To me it's the final product that counts, they do not have to make me wet every day with some videos or PnP simply because I know it costs work which I'd rather see in the actual game instead. How they did with the boards for example I was extremely happy with - fantastic makeover. Comparison between some giant projects and this one is also ridiculous. Now I have no illusions why ks becomes preorder system instead of helping indy wannabe publishers... Lastly I admit it is hard to deliver so much mini content for just 100$ when projects with only a handful of plastic are sold for the same price o.O I suggest you go make such a useful advice while project is still running and maybe do that with a CMoN campaign, since cardboard is what they want to offer in a minis project, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misiodziej wrote:
Being a full backer myself I find some of the comments hilarious. To me it's the final product that counts, they do not have to make me wet every day with some videos or PnP simply because I know it costs work which I'd rather see in the actual game instead. How they did with the boards for example I was extremely happy with - fantastic makeover. Comparison between some giant projects and this one is also ridiculous. Now I have no illusions why ks becomes preorder system instead of helping indy wannabe publishers... Lastly I admit it is hard to deliver so much mini content for just 100$ when projects with only a handful of plastic are sold for the same price o.O I suggest you go make such a useful advice while project is still running and maybe do that with a CMoN campaign, since cardboard is what they want to offer in a minis project, right?

How is it hilarious to think that the method in which they handle the project as a whole correlates to how the final product will turn out? I mean, it took them MONTHS to produce a rulebook they promised before the KS finished. They NEVER produced a decent quality play video that they said they would.

If their promises for fairly simple things result in them being between ridiculously late and never delivered, why am I supposed to have faith in their ability to deliver the game at all? It's not unheard of for KS games to never see the light of day or be unplayable or terrible quality. Not sure what's so hilarious about learning from the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Węgrzyn
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Misiodziej wrote:

How is it hilarious to think that the method in which they handle the project as a whole correlates to how the final product will turn out? I mean, it took them MONTHS to produce a rulebook they promised before the KS finished. They NEVER produced a decent quality play video that they said they would.

If their promises for fairly simple things result in them being between ridiculously late and never delivered, why am I supposed to have faith in their ability to deliver the game at all? It's not unheard of for KS games to never see the light of day or be unplayable or terrible quality. Not sure what's so hilarious about learning from the past.

Sure, I agree that it's unprofessional and you've made some point. It happens with ks projects that are actually created by unexperienced publishers and I just consider it quite common and sort of an inbuilt feature of crowdfunding. Some of the suggestions were hilarious though and I've explained why.

Remember Kingdom Death: Monster? It was done by a full time manufacturer of the minis. Maybe Tokaido and it's one year slip despite being handled by a proper publisher and having extremely well known names on the cover? There are plenty of those, even with professionals doing it. Just chill out a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yash Samant
United States
Custer
Washington
flag msg tools
My situation was a bit different: I had actually missed the Middara Kickstarter campaign, but I contacted Succubus Publishing and thankfully they allowed me to do a late pledge via the Pledge Manager. Middara looks absolutely awesome, and I am not at all worried about the developers delivering a superb product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i really want to go for 100$ here, but at the moment middara has just to few information.

i read the rulebook, and to be honest, i don´t see anything special...

i backed sword and sorcery because they deliverd with galaxy defenders
i will back perditions mouth, because the roundell mechanic looks fresh and new. and i saw the game at essen and the gave out preview copys to youtubers.

midarra is just so silent... its a shame...

just du a video of how you playtest. film it the same way you did with you KS play video.

that doesn´t take any time!
not doning it gives me a bad feeling that the creators are not sure about there own project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed for a $1 and am otherwise out.

Between losing interest in minis for the sake of minis, and personally getting disgusted with KS exclusives as a way to push impulse buys, this just isn't the kind of project I want to support anymore. Add to that the skepticism they'd be able to meet their promises anyway (which is why I pledged a $1 when I did), I'm not regretting anything.

And now I have more money for Scythe and Cthulhu Wars Onslaught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was unsure if I needed another dungeon crawl game in my collection. Looked interesting enough with potential that I may want to up pledge later, and I like getting project updates.

Been following and nothing has pushed me into backing. That is not to say they are doing a bad job per say, just that between other projects and games this one looks less attractive to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was an early backer (at the $1 level) mostly due to the interesting blend of fantasy and modern settings, the 'slightly off the norm' art and design, and the general way enemies are handled. It seems as if every encounter will be a life or death scenario, which may be very good or very frustrating. I also enjoyed the look of their first (unsuccessful) project End of Eternity, even a bit bummed that the shaved head knife girl didn't make an appearance!

As for upgrading to a full pledge, I really want to for all the same reasons I originally clicked that Remind Me button. My main hangups are wondering if the writing will be good enough to carry the game (which I have few qualms about, gameplay wise) and the time it might take to actually receive anything of the game. I fear this will be a project we'll see a couple years from now.

The shipping is something that pushes me closer to jumping in entirely, too. We shall see! I like it and I want to jump in with both feet, but there has to come a time when I stop backing all the projects that interest me and let most of them pass to retail years and years from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thread. Very interesting to read al your opinions and thoughts.

Midddara was actually what brought me into Kickstarter. This is my first game I ever backed even if just for $1. I also thought this would be my first "all-in" kickstarter project but I am not sure anymore.

First there are a lot of rpg-boardgame-mix dungeon crawlers with campaign mode coming out at the moment and many look great. Back when I discovered Middara it looked like one of a kind but it was actually just the beginning of a flood of quite similar games.

Second and more importantly I discovered Gloomhaven and this project kinda ruined me for every other one out at the moment. The way Isaac runs this campaign is just awesome. He is very present on BGG and his campaign page, answers every question, shares his thoughts on the design process, keeps backers updated on a regular basis, offerd pnp and draft rules since day one, online try out version via Tabletop Zen and even keeps those preview versions updated without any need of backers asking for all of this, and on top of that he is a very nice guy... sorry, I know this is not a thread about Gloomhaven.

But I hope you get my point. With Middara on the other side there stands a great looking game with beautiful 3D renders of miniatures and an interesting world design. But also a designer team which never heard of BGG beforehand and didn't prepare the question of shipping well enough. In the four months since the campaign ended they just presented a rulebook (finally), samples of minatures which make most people (me included) unhappy, some new artwork previews and a pledge manager. All this does not really encourage me to fully back the game. Now I wish they would not make a minis game but just use standees and offer a cheaper version, this would probably make the decision easier for me. At the moment my trust and excitement is not big enough to justify the more than $100.

And then I always ask myself if there will be really enough interesting game in the box. The idea of the gameplay and skill system sounds great. But watching the playtest videos bores me very much. The presentation of the game in those videos is just dull.

Still for me as an international backer the decision seems harder than for US backers. Because retail normally isn't an option. Of course I could get this game via retail here but it will cost much more (including shipping and VAT/taxes) than going with the kickstarter version. It feels like if I want this game I better get it now or never.

Well, sorry for the long post. To keep it short: Here I am... wrangling with myself - still uncertain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still in on Middara. The rulebook seems pretty straight forward, but I think that much like other games of this sort, a lot of the rules and gameplay will be found in the cards and the adventure book. You can learn the rules from the rulebook, but you can't learn the "game" without the rest of the materials.

Being a miniatures game, I did not expect them to hit their delivery deadline, but they are doing a good job with weekly updates. All in all, a good showing so far for a brand new company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Right now its looking like no. In the time since this KS launched, Gloomhaven captured a pledge from me, and I've currently got Scythe and the 7th Continent going as well.

Middara was the first game I've ever just pledged $1 for to gain access to the Pledge Manager because they just didn't seem capable of actually producing the game in a timely/polished manner. I got memories of Myth way too strongly.

Now, if they had offered a significantly cheaper Standees version like Gloomhaven did, I'd take a gamble, but as it is, they have no real manufacturer, it took them forever and a day to put out the rulebook, and we still haven't been graced with a newer gameplay video.

Meanwhile, Gloomhaven has released full PnP of a beginning scenario, along with digital versions for Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia. Scythe has plenty of homemade videos, GenCon videos, and a PnP. 7th Continent has a PnP in the works, but has plenty of reviews and how to play videos up.

I admit that I'm fully judging the company by how they ran the KS--and they just haven't shown any improvement since then to get me to willingly take the risk. Especially right now, when they've got a ton of competition for my money.

I feel the way you do! Gloomhaven, Scythe, 7th Continent - all KS I will jump on. Been on the fence for Middara for the longest time and now with competition like S&S and Folklore, it's hard to say

I love the monster mechanics in Middara, I love summoning creatures to fight for me and I love the items e.g. leather jacket, mp3 player

I really wish there were more videos on it. I just don't feel comfortable because i'm really not sure how many people have playtested it - we haven't gotten many previews/reviews.

What do you mean they have no real manufacturer?

Alas, still on the fence - I wish we could get more feedback from the developers. Should we contact them on KS if they don't use BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
What do you mean they have no real manufacturer?

They haven't selected a miniature manufacturer at this point. They are leaning towards Panda eventhough early samples proved poor. Panda was given a second chance to deliver a better miniature and thus far, we've not heard or seen anything on this topic.

At this point, I am sorta wishing I was a $1 backer whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They did say that they have other manufactures lined up in case things don't work out with Panda. They have said from the start that they want to produce quality miniatures. The last update said that they can probably get better results if they supply a 3D printed master to Panda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
They did say that they have other manufactures lined up in case things don't work out with Panda. They have said from the start that they want to produce quality miniatures. The last update said that they can probably get better results if they supply a 3D printed master to Panda.

That's true, Brian. So far the Succubus team has been pretty transparent with backers and I definitely appreciate them doing that. We haven't heard anything in quite a while (for them) and I hope there's closure on the MFG soon. I have to say those first proofs Panda sent back were pretty awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. They weren't the worst miniatures I have seen. It was probably on par with the heroes from the first season of Zombicide. Unfortunately they lost almost all the detail in the face. Hopefully a combiniation of the 3D masters and some adjustments in their sculpt to accentuate the small details will do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only some days left till the pledge manager closes and I am still not sure if I should back or not. In the last update they said that there are about 800 (!!) people who have not ued the PM yet, so it seems that I am not alone. Where are you guys and why are you not pledging?

Me? I am still not sure about the game. The art will be cool, very modern anime-like but very cool. But art updates seem to be the most concrete things we get to see unfortunately. Furthermore the minature situtation is still unsolved or without further progress.
Gameplay-wise what worries me more and more is the lack of different enemy types and minatures which can be used in the campaign. The campaign and story book is what eally interests me. I know the box is full of unlocked, KS exclusive minis, but most of them seem to be one-shot adventures and won't be used in the campaign. Also there is always the concern in my backhead that this game could be a little bit too dicey and repetitive for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masoud Tabatabaei
Luxembourg
Luxemborug
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonce wrote:
The art will be cool, very modern anime-like but very cool. But art updates seem to be the most concrete things we get to see unfortunately.

This, unfortunately no update on the campaign and storybook, no update on the "real" minis (not the 3d renders), and although not promised explicitly, not still a descent video. The way it is now (unless they make my mind changed by their last update before the closing of pledge manager), I would prefer to wait for the retail version, however later and more expensive than the kickstarter it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.