Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG members,

When prepping this game for the first time, I took the advice of the PitchCar forums and tested all the discs before applying the stickers. My observation of the discs revealed that the sides touching the track surface possessed two different contours: one was concave, which provided more stability and surface contact, and the other was slightly convex (or blunt pointed), leading to less friction, but provided less stability, less ability to control/aim, and spin. After little thought, I decided to apply the stickers to the side with the blunt pointy side so that the cars had more stability when they were placed on the track.

After playing many, many races with a friend, I pointed out the difference between the two sides and we started flicking the discs on their stickered sides. And we kinda liked the action from them: less control but definitely traveled a greater distance.

Now, I know that every player has noticed this, so I'm not enlightening anyone, but here is my question....

Which side did other players decide to place the stickers and why?

Is there a standard application process that I just missed in the three sentences of rules?

I am also considering buying an extra set of discs and stickers so I can have both actions represented for a player to choose from. Any idea where I can find replacement parts? Directly from Ferti?

I look forward to any feedback about this cool game. In a party, I could see many beers being consumed, because I noticed that my friend and I were circling the table like vultures the entire two hours... swigging a few sips before, after, and between flicks. What a hoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you I applied the stickers to the convex side. My initial thought was that the little pointy bit might catch on a track seam, and cause a car to flip from the track.
Although truth be told, as long as you are consistent about applying the stickers to one side or the other, I doubt very much if it would matter.

As for the odd pitch car circling effect, that may be the only part of the game that I don't like. If you have six guys/gals playing at once you can easily loose track of which beer is yours. And that my friend is a tragedy. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin E
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone out there having trouble discerning between the convex/concave side of each disc, I found the easiest way to do so is by placing each side of the disc on a piece of track and giving it a spin. In most cases one side will spin much longer than the other...pick which side you prefer.

This method for choosing convex/concave side might be obvious, but for a newcomer to pitchcar I didn't give any thought to spinning the discs until after I had applied stickers to them all, completely convinced that the stickers were all placed on the "pointy" side. They were not.

Removing and reapplying the stickers is not a big deal, but hopefully doing this "spin check" will save someone the hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I applied the stickers on both my sets to the blunt pointed side. I noticed that the amount of spin (friction reduction) that the blunt point gave varied between cars quite a bit. I didn't notice any such variation on the other side.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This must be another difference between the first and second editions of Pitchcar. My version (first editio) came with the cars already printed/painted on the discs. Also, there is no discernible convex or concave side to my cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sinclair
United States
Shawnee
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided not to apply my stickers. Anyone else do this? It doe not really take away from the theme at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Korhonen
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But then you can't tell if your car flipped over. From the rules of my copy : "If your car turns over ... you must put it back where it was when you pitched it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Guthrie
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize it until after I had applied the first few stickers so a couple of my cars have the sticker on the non pointy side. I don't mind, it adds character to some of the cars and people can choose which kind of car they'd prefer to drive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lee
Switzerland
Zurich City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrUnicorn wrote:
For anyone out there having trouble discerning between the convex/concave side of each disc, I found the easiest way to do so is by placing each side of the disc on a piece of track and giving it a spin. In most cases one side will spin much longer than the other...pick which side you prefer.

Super helpful. Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If youhave wrongly applied the stickers, you can order a replacement set of 8 wooden discs directly from Ferti:

http://www.ferti-games.com/shop_paypal/

They're EUR 5.50 + P&P, and the stickers are included

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AwesomeRobotDavid
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need these! But in the USA! I sent an email to Ferti but did not receive a response. Anyone from Europe planning on visiting Seattle soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Newport
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendarydave wrote:
I need these! But in the USA! I sent an email to Ferti but did not receive a response. Anyone from Europe planning on visiting Seattle soon?

You can get them here:

http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=102...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.