Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Plans with 1:1 cut-outs and dimensions can be found here: MaverickLancer's Dice Tower

After playing (i.e. throwing dice all over the floor) for weeks on our tiny dining room table, I finally decided to make a dice tower. However, most of the designs I found were rather large and bulky. I personally wanted one that had a more sleek, elegant, and compact look that was able to be neatly folded. I liked the look of Geek Chic's Entropy Engine, but worried about stability with such a narrow design. My solution was to use magnets.

Being a mechanical engineer, I also have the overwhelming urge to ensure structural integrity as much as possible. All interfaces were reinforced with 1/2" flat head sequin pins (found in the quilting section of any craft store).

The magnets were mounted at the lower back of the tower and rear of the case. By using the stronger Neodynium (shiny silver) magnets, I can even turn the dice tower upside down and the tower will not move.

Build Notes
- This was put together over the course of a single lunch break. Not all dimensions are exact; there may be some adjustments required
- When gluing the magnets in place at the specified locations, make sure that they are both facing the correct direction.
- I added felt to all "ramp" surfaces in addition to the bottom of the box for more quiet operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome design. =) Does the foamcoard endure the manipulation with strong magnets?

People, do check out his file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also wondering how well the foamcore stands up to having the magnets separate from themselves without tearing/breaking up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Awesome design. =) Does the foamcoard endure the manipulation with strong magnets?

People, do check out his file

I've been using mine on a daily basis and it's held up quite well. Magnetic strength is exponentially better with distance. At 2 foamcore boards apart, it holds enough to stabilize the tower, but not enough to overcome the tacky glue I used.

Note that my tower also used the pins shown in the thread above, much like one would use nails if this were wood. It adds a lot of extra strength, and allows the glue to dry straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen frequent references to people using magnets in board edges to ensure a good connection edge-to-edge. I guess maybe that's not so easy with foamcore, although perhaps sliding apart (or burying them deeper) might be a solution.

Thanks for the design. I like its potential for portability too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.