Subject: Thunderbird 3 orange colour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Walton
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
My game arrived Thursday 15th October - looking forward to playing soon.

Has anyone noticed the orange colour of Thunderbird 3 ? Is there a reason it is not the correct shade of red - a minor niggle but the other models look good unpainted and Thunderbird 3 stands out and spoils the overall look and feel of the game for me.

I was going to re-spray my model red, but not so sure after reading about paint reaction to the plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Avery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyjwalton wrote:
My game arrived Thursday 15th October - looking forward to playing soon.

Has anyone noticed the orange colour of Thunderbird 3 ? Is there a reason it is not the correct shade of red - a minor niggle but the other models look good unpainted and Thunderbird 3 stands out and spoils the overall look and feel of the game for me.

I was going to re-spray my model red, but not so sure after reading about paint reaction to the plastic.

The discussion threads on Kickstarter already discussed this at great length, so feel free to consult those for a full answer, but here is the brief version. THe colour of Thunderbird 3 matches the official ITV Pantone colour guide for the vehicle. Any perceived difference is due to the quality of the original recordings and the colour timing on filming. Further adding to the confusion is that artwork based on the show and even the new CG series depicted it as red.

Unsatisfactory as an answer for those of us who just "know" it is red, but that's the answer. Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's not just your copy, it's orange (and many seem to have a bend near the nose-cone).

Paint- wise, wash the model in soapy water to remove any oily residues, dry it, apply an undercoat of white acrylic paint, let that dry, then apply red acrylic paint as required. There shouldn't be any chemical reaction between the acrylic paints and the plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought Thunderbird 3 was orange. Not quite the orange they used in the board game, but I definitely never considered it red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
I always thought Thunderbird 3 was orange. Not quite the orange they used in the board game, but I definitely never considered it red.

Just checked some stills from the original series - you're right! How memory and the years can alter one's perception!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As one of the more elderly contingent (ahem!) I distinctly remember from my youth that Thunderbird 3 was orange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was red in the film and often people remember that (the old films that is!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the original series remastered bluray (which is an amazing restoration) and it is orange. Plus if you look at pics of the original model at various convention appearances it does look orange.

I did a Google Image search and the color varies widely from orange to red. And a lot of the toys over the years were red. So I certainly can understand the confusion.

If anyone knows who Martin Bower is, here's some of his work. He built many of the model ships from the original Space: 1999 series & Alien movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I would describe TB3's proper colour as burnt orange. Never red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

The same colour as Tony the Tiger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Raps
Netherlands
Vlijmen
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny. I could have sworn it was red. Must be because my Matchbox toy version from 1992 was bright red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapseflaps wrote:
Funny. I could have sworn it was red. Must be because my Matchbox toy version from 1992 was bright red.

Matchbox has a lot to answer for. Didn't they also product a TB2 that was almost blue? Let alone how many shades of green you can buy a TB2 decked out in.

Edit: Better cut Matchbox a little slack as the blue Thunderbird 2 was by Dinky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Walton
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Thanks guys - age and memory are playing tricks on me. I did have a Thunderbird 3 model toy in the 60's (yes, I did watch Thunderbirds first time around - in black and white on the TV) which was definitely a scarlet red colour (I don't know the manufacturer - it was plastic, motorised, quite big and not Matchbox or Dinky). You are right, toy manufacturers do use the wrong colours and these do have a strong influence on how I remember things from long ago. Never realised the link between TB3 and Tony the Tiger.
Good answers from you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
tonyjwalton wrote:
Thanks guys - age and memory are playing tricks on me. I did have a Thunderbird 3 model toy in the 60's (yes, I did watch Thunderbirds first time around - in black and white on the TV) which was definitely a scarlet red colour (I don't know the manufacturer - it was plastic, motorised, quite big and not Matchbox or Dinky).

I wonder if you are referring to this TB3 toy from the 1960s?. It had a friction drive motor, which when revved up to maximum speed, would trundle the model along the carpet for about four feet.

Still burnt orange, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

It's always a treat to watch this from time to time. Watch out for Alan and Scott changing places (twice) en route to TB3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Walton
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Thanks James. It could be the one, although I don't remember a nose-wheel. The colour I am sure about as it matched a red Man Utd football shirt I had recently received and wore quote a lot. Strange how some things stick in the mind from years ago. I am starting to question my perception of reality of life in the 60's
(they do say if you can remember the 60's you weren't there !)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

The same colour as Tony the Tiger.

Awesome. I remember collecting the models from cereal packets, when the models were still allowed to be packed in with the cereal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderbirds are GRRRRRREAT!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Drury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My model back in the late 60s/early 70s was that darkish orange colour. On the TV it was grey though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel Drury wrote:
My model back in the late 60s/early 70s was that darkish orange colour. On the TV it was grey though.

Yep, I'm old enough to remember watching black & white TV!

My grandparents refused to buy a new TV for the longest time and so had to live with B&W whenever I was over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The TV licence was cheaper for B&W

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! It's never occurred to me that TB-3 was red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is dark-orange officially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahah funny htere was a thread about this. I always thought it was red as well so was confused with the orange model. But my TB3 model had a bent nose so I asked for a replacement. When I got it I figured it might be a good oppotunity to try painting the old one, that I wasn't using anyway.

I haven't actually painted any mineatyres since I destroyed Warhammer models at age 11... So I found some old Humbrol colours and a crappy brush and gave it a shot...

Howver the RED colour I had found was all dried up so I went with the closest thing I had which was an orange (didn't even have anythin to mix it with to make it darker haha). SO anyway after slapping a bunch of paint on I had my funnny looking model.

I used to crappy low resolution photo for reference. But then I started watching the series again and I paused at the intro to realize that TB3 is actually ORANGE! And I also realized that the midsection is not metallic but rather a blue.

The main body colour atually turned out pretty well though it's a sloppy job due to spending zero on the materials. Anyway, here is a photo:

I didn't want to waste the stiickers on this halfassed job so well I just painted the numbers on...

Now I am trying to do TB5 which I also happen to have two modls of (I won one at the release party).

Going to look for more threads on people who have painted their mineatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binnet wrote:
Hahah funny htere was a thread about this. I always thought it was red as well so was confused with the orange model. But my TB3 model had a bent nose so I asked for a replacement. When I got it I figured it might be a good oppotunity to try painting the old one, that I wasn't using anyway.

I haven't actually painted any mineatyres since I destroyed Warhammer models at age 11... So I found some old Humbrol colours and a crappy brush and gave it a shot...

Howver the RED colour I had found was all dried up so I went with the closest thing I had which was an orange (didn't even have anythin to mix it with to make it darker haha). SO anyway after slapping a bunch of paint on I had my funnny looking model.

I used to crappy low resolution photo for reference. But then I started watching the series again and I paused at the intro to realize that TB3 is actually ORANGE! And I also realized that the midsection is not metallic but rather a blue.

The main body colour atually turned out pretty well though it's a sloppy job due to spending zero on the materials. Anyway, here is a photo:

I didn't want to waste the stiickers on this halfassed job so well I just painted the numbers on...

Now I am trying to do TB5 which I also happen to have two modls of (I won one at the release party).

Going to look for more threads on people who have painted their mineatures.

It looks really good. A paint job is better than no paint job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.