Coup: Rebellion G54» Forums » General

Subject: Should there be a 5+ player list for roles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the role cards are separated into basic and advanced but I find this a poor separation. However I did see roles that would be much better in games with 5-6 players and are just awful in 3-4 player games. So here is my 5+ player list. I say remove these cards if playing with 3-4 players to avoid dead roles. I basically took 1 from each of the roles (2 from the special interest) so that the ratios are generally the same.

Capitalist Remember in coup where 5 people claim duke. Well in 3-4 player games claiming capitalist is the safest bet even if you don't and the active player won't be challenging any players. This is much better in 5-6 where if the capitalist is overwhelmed by players also claiming capitalist that player must risk a challenge or have that action be a wasted action.

General When in doubt, nuke'em from orbit. The only way to be sure. The problem with 3-4 player games is that well the general will be horded (as all force cards are already horded) because of the protection needed from purge. Better in a 5-6 player game. Completely horrible in a 3 player game where everyone will have general. Save this for a 5+ game.

Producer AKA the Inquisitor from reformation. This card gains information on other players which makes bluffing in a 3-4 player game nearly impossible. Reformation recommended inquisitor be played in 5 or more player games, I say that recommendation should hold to this as well.

Lawyer In a 3-4 player game this card is dead. It can only have an action when a player has been eliminated making the least active role out there. In a 5-6 player game you might have players taking opportunity of lawyer. In a 3-4 no one will because by the time one player is eliminated everyone else will be on 1 card and will likely not be holding lawyer as it would not help them. Also cards like producer can confirm that they are not holding lawyer.

Protester In a 3-4 player game you basically need to team up on someone. Trying to get someone on your side when there are only a few players is difficult. In a game of 5-6 it would be likely that someone may join your side and also makes it easier to form (fragile) alliances. Either way save this for larger games and leave it out of the small games.

So do you agree that certain roles should be left out of a 3-4 player games? Also if you do agree then do you agree with this list or should one or more roles be replaced with a different one instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I haven't played enough to be familiar with all the roles yet so I can't comment on all of the ones you've suggested. However, after playing a few three player games, we already identified Producer and Lawyer as ones to avoid with low player counts too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree.

The first time that I played with Lawyer, it was a 4 player game. It changed up the usual decision making about who to target. Normally you try to equalize the influence, but when the Lawyer is present, people become vultures, so you really want to lay low at first and not be the first person to lose influence. Like the Contessa, Lawyer is one where you can bluff other roles early until it's time to use it. Judge and Lawyer is a pretty fun combo.

Part of what makes G54 cool is that each set of 5 cards is a unique puzzle to figure out based on the player count and the interaction between the cards. Which cards are valuable? What can I safely bluff early? What should I search for with Communications? So far I like getting a set of cards out randomly, playing 2-4 times and then talking as a group to decide which card(s) to axe. I haven't played with all of the cards extensively (Speculator, Mercenary, and Crime boss still haven't shown up), but if there are enough cards that are perceived as "weak" in a particular setup, it makes challenging people on communications cards more common.

Missionary is my favorite card so far. Most of the special interest cards warp the game in fun ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
I disagree.

The first time that I played with Lawyer, it was a 4 player game. It changed up the usual decision making about who to target. Normally you try to equalize the influence, but when the Lawyer is present, people become vultures, so you really want to lay low at first and not be the first person to lose influence. Like the Contessa, Lawyer is one where you can bluff other roles early until it's time to use it. Judge and Lawyer is a pretty fun combo.

Part of what makes G54 cool is that each set of 5 cards is a unique puzzle to figure out based on the player count and the interaction between the cards. Which cards are valuable? What can I safely bluff early? What should I search for with Communications? So far I like getting a set of cards out randomly, playing 2-4 times and then talking as a group to decide which card(s) to axe. I haven't played with all of the cards extensively (Speculator, Mercenary, and Crime boss still haven't shown up), but if there are enough cards that are perceived as "weak" in a particular setup, it makes challenging people on communications cards more common.

Missionary is my favorite card so far. Most of the special interest cards warp the game in fun ways.
The thing is in Coup you would likely be targeted before someone is eliminated especially if you are the only one with 2 cards. So trying to keep 2 influence by the time someone is eliminated is unlikely unless you are hitting them with force.

But yes I do like the unique interactions and randomness that comes with different classes. Removing 5 roles for a lower player count game won't remove that much of the variety, also it is way less than removing the advanced roles for newer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smack Random
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Jexik wrote:

I actually enjoy playing with the Missionary as well, and even though this is the opposite of the OP's original post I would say that it is a role you should not use in 5 or 6 player games as opposed to a role that should not be used in a 3 or 4 player game(I actually don't mind it too much in 5 player games, but it definitely shouldn't be used in 6 player games). Replacing Missionary with Intellectual is a pretty good compromise in 6 player games I found.

In a similar vein, I also like not using the Writer or Newscaster in 6 player games. I feel like it is too easy to gain too much information and really kills bluffing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.