Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you counter a creature attack spell (casted by a creature) with a counter spell which triggers explicitly only against attack spells?

For example, if you are attacked with "Winged Strike" by a creature, can you counter it with "Dematerialize"?

NOTE: I know, that every creature attack spell has also the symbol of an attack spell on it. But we also know, that a spell being cast has only the spell type, in which it is cast. So, an attack spell/creature attack spell is only a creature attack spell in the moment, it is used by a creature.

So the question is, can a counter spell, which is triggered by an attack spell, also be used against a creature attack spell?

My assumption: No, because, a creature attack spell is simply not an attack spell (if cast by a creature).

There are card texts, which support this assumption, because they explicitly mention only "attacking wizard" instead of "caster". For example, Dispeleport and Magic Resistance speak explicitly about the "attacking wizard".

What would you say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating question. Without the rules in front of me, I'd say that yes - you can counter a creature attack spell.

But I don't know.

Follow up: can a creature and wizard attack in the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always assumed yes, because: "(...) Each creature can activate once per turn, and after its activation, its controlling wizard’s turn resumes. Each time a creature is activated, it can move and perform one attack."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If the creature's attack is by spell, then a spell counter can be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.