Subject: Shouldn't this game use pictograms over text on the cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game and I enjoyed it quite a lot buuuuuuuuuut I immediatly disliked the fact that dev cards have a lot of text on them because it is sometimes hard to quickly scan the table and figure out who can do what special abilities...

Most of these cards could have a picture or a pictogram to tell what it does, allowing all players to quickly recognise everyone's special powers.

What do you think about that? I would love to see this in a future version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you tried to use pictures there would be a lot of, "What does that card do? Let me see the rulebook."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
I think if you tried to use pictures there would be a lot of, "What does that card do? Let me see the rulebook."

Yeah it happens in some games that are poorly designed but most games can do great pictograms that also have the benefit of getting rid of that language dependency problem as well!

Look at games like :

7 Wonders's special cards (yellow, white, purple and wonders)

Fresco's portraits

Smallworld's special powers did a wonderful job at it too

But you are right about the fact that this would lead to the dreaded "let me look at the reference sheet" moments. I prefer that to having to consistently double check who does what by requesting them to read aloud what's written on their cards because my poor eyes can't see what's written on the table..

At the very least they can keep the text but put a distinctive picture on each card (over the text). That would make it easier no?

I understand both sides.. My intentions are not to bash that game I enjoyed a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also something to take into consideration. Art and development for a full set of icons for cards and special abilities can take a lot of time and money. Smaller publishers, like Space Cowboys was, are probably happy to cut corners in that area and just put text on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other side, you save on translation fees
Your game will attract players with languages your game isn't translated for as well.

But I get the cost saving point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bellamy
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:

I find that with the right design of pictures, they are easier, more intuitive and lead to less reading of card and rulebook. For example, a symbol or design of card to denote when it can be used can stop arguments about when a specific card can or cannot be used, that sometimes arises from vague wordings on cards or simple misinterpretion.

They can make a complex game a lot simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.