Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
This has some problems
Much of what is labelled as the II corps should be in the I corps
For instance the 1st and 2nd brigades of MajGen Cooke (who are labelled as Bijlandt and Saxe-Weimer Nassau rather than Maitland & Byng)
Also Chasse who seems to have 3 brigades (2 led by Detmers) rather than the 2 in reality.
Presumably these are all errors but disappointing.

Chris Perello's Waterloo OOB can be freely downloaded from the Decision website under the Napoleonic e-rules section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pacey Dorset
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes, the British Guards have errors on their non-presentation side - which is some consolation there. I am not sure about the potential issue with Chasse's division, given that the Detmers force is listed as brigade 1 and 2 - perhaps it is just a way of representing that large force in game terms?

I am also not certain right now as to whether assigning Anglo-Allied units as II corps forces is something to do with how command practicalities are going to work out on the map.

My main issue, however, is with the rules. With so much that is different here, I could have done with a couple of introductory paragraphs highlighting the basic mechanisms of movement, combat and command. As it is, you have a lot of things coming at you straightaway. I also am not keen on having sidebars all over the place with important information in them, and all in different type sizes to the main text. And the player aid is, well, a bit cramped - at least to my eye.

There's an odd, misplaced reference to Liege in the description of the attack on Hougouumont, unnecessary plurals in the text and "fastened/unfastened" instead of limbered/unlimbered. One thing the rules are crying out for is a good example of play. But I intend to persevere because the design really has some seriously different ways of doing a boardgame battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you actually played the game yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pacey Dorset
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm hoping to set it up for a play or two this coming Friday and over the weekend. I aim to write a review once I have enough experience of the gameplay. That review will probably be posted on The Boardgaming Way as soon as possible after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could say sth about the components quality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pacey Dorset
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'll cover the game pretty comprehensively. That will include the components as well as the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.