Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Layton
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Masters is a fast paced dice game. In fact, it's the fastest tabletop game I've ever played, with games ending in two to ten minutes! This allows players to enjoy several games in succession during a single gaming session.

Planet Masters is a print and play game and along with the rules players will need to print three pages of game boards. (There are six half sheet sized boards total.)

Players can choose between several different races to play, each with a unique look and special ability: Freebooters (intergalactic pirates with a large fleet of cruisers), Humans (the large Terran army gives them extra infantry), Matriks (cyborgs with additional star fighters), Mors (a distinct race descended from humans, focusing on resource production), Pacal (diplomats with more influence than most races), and Roaches (insectoids with extra transport ability.)

Along with the rules book and game boards, a number of different colored six-sided dice (red, white, and black) are needed to play. Black and white dice represent the resources available to players from planets under their control, while red dice represent starships and other weapons.

Players begin play with only a single die representing their home planet. During play additional dice are drafted from a central pool in the center of the table.

Each turn, players choose which of their dice to roll in order to generate the resources needed to build their forces to successfully engage the enemy in combat. The first player to accumulate three points of influence and/or resources wins.

My family and I like Planet Masters. I prefer games with sci-fi, fantasy, or historical themes, but my wife and youngest daughter don't like my miniature wargames or roleplaying games. (They would rather play games like Uno.) Planet Masters gets a thumbs up from us for being a game that our whole family can enjoy playing together.

Also, most of the time in our household we play co-operative games or games featuring a referee or gamemaster. I'm always hoping to find a game that will allow me to teach the kids about competition too. Planet Masters is working better for that than many previous choices. As my son said "it's okay to lose (in Planet Masters.) You didn't sit there slowly losing for hours like in Risk. You have time to play again so you get another chance to win. And half the time it was just bad luck and not something stupid you did (that made you lose) so you don't have to get all mad at yourself."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Schroers
Belgium
Sint-Niklaas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Particularly like the input from kids. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.