United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Anomaly, or inevitable unlikelihood?
badge
Snoopy : )
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't get more official than this. Proof provided. Thank you, Mr. Moon, for the time and the beautiful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've never even worried about this before. I've never played 2-player so that didn't occur to me, so all that occurred to me is that 2 different players could connect those cities, and that one individual player could not have both. Looking at the board, I would never have expected that I could take two routes (i.e. the case of one ferry and one land route). I would think, then, that for a two player game it would be the same.

But I got curious and looked at some of the old threads. There are still conflicts and I don't consider this "proof." I have two reasons for that. One, the publisher sometimes changes rules and my impression is that's the rules you follow, and I've even heard designers say that. (Unless of course the publisher admits to an error and corrects it.) Someone posted where the French rules specifically say they have to be parallel.

More importantly, someone on another thread posted their response from Alan Moon, where he was quoted as saying the exact opposite, that those were not double routes. So I don't get how your response over-rides that. I can't see this as proof when the designer is disagreeing with himself.

However, as I've already stated, in the case of a multi-player game, I would never have expected to be able to use both routes in those cases. And I also try to go with intent. Just because something is a bit curved so it can be a ferry I don't think changes the intent of that rule. And in a 2-player I saw people referring to the intent being more cutthroat. I don't think that has to be the intent. In multi-player you have two or more people getting in your way, and in 2 player it opens it up a bit more, so I would think the intent is providing a bit of a handicap to that. Regardless what the intent was, there was certainly some sort of intent and I'd think it would still apply.

So I agree with these being double routes, just from my own point of view, but since we still do have some conflicts floating on the threads, I don't see this latest response as being the "final proof."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hotko
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Nordic Countries, the only places where this would be an issue is between Stavanger and Kristiansand where one is a 2 car tunnel and the other is a 3 car ferry or Moirana to Trondheim where it is a 5 car tunnel or 6 car ferry.

Obviously, there may be similar situations on the other maps but is it really an issue? I imagine it would only matter in the maps when joining a ticket by more than 1 route gains more points...

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chotko wrote:
In Nordic Countries, the only places where this would be an issue is between Stavanger and Kristiansand where one is a 2 car tunnel and the other is a 3 car ferry or Moirana to Trondheim where it is a 5 car tunnel or 6 car ferry.

Obviously, there may be similar situations on the other maps but is it really an issue? I imagine it would only matter in the maps when joining a ticket by more than 1 route gains more points...

Am I missing something?

As Mo i Rana – Trondheim is a double route, only one player can claim it during a 2-player-game. If the routes were two single routes, both players could claim one route each. There is also the situation where a player collects points by claiming randomly selected long routes across the board; being able to claim both a 5-car tunnel and a 6-car ferry would then be advantageous.

When I design fan expansions for Ticket to Ride, I try to write rules concerning double routes that cannot be misunderstood, mainly due to these never-ending discussions on TtR:Nordic Countries. (Depending on the particular map's features, the rules might well differ from one to another.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.