Doug Saxon
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Couldn't see this question answered anywhere. My apologies if I missed the thread or am blind to where it is explained in the rules.

I thought I saw it stated in another thread that when you complete work of an unrequested invention, you have to wait until it shows up. This is correct, yes?

Do you then reveal that this still unrequested invention is completed or do you keep everything hidden until it shows up? If you keep it hidden, and there is a mechanical man on that lab, on future research phases, does work continue, even though it's not necessary? Seems like it is then possible for the work marker to go past 15 and off of the lab.

And finally, when do you actually claim the invention when/if it is requested. Immediately when new inventions are put onto the table (which appears to be technically outside of that research phase), or do you have to wait until the research phase of that round?

Thanks!

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dsaxon wrote:
I thought I saw it stated in another thread that when you complete work of an unrequested invention, you have to wait until it shows up. This is correct, yes?

Yes (of course you've still the option to abort everything and get the goods back... a miserable strategical decision, but it is allowed).

dsaxon wrote:
Do you then reveal that this still unrequested invention is completed or do you keep everything hidden until it shows up? If you keep it hidden, and there is a mechanical man on that lab, on future research phases, does work continue, even though it's not necessary? Seems like it is then possible for the work marker to go past 15 and off of the lab.

Keep everything hidden, until it shows up. Unnecessary work can be generated in the meantime (may be useful to bluff). When 15 Work Points are gathered, no more work is possible (laboratories are "capped at 15").

dsaxon wrote:
And finally, when do you actually claim the invention when/if it is requested. Immediately when new inventions are put onto the table (which appears to be technically outside of that research phase), or do you have to wait until the research phase of that round?

You have to wait the right pahse, as always.

Note that (usually) it isn't a good idea to complete "unrequested" inventions: you use men and goods and a lab to get nothing now and something later... if that invention appears!

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Saxon
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

dsaxon wrote:

Therefore, other players will have a chance to start this invention on the upcoming Laboratory phase. Otherwise, the player who had been waiting will snatch it up immediately without any chance for competition. This would greatly discourage starting an invention before it's requestd. It seems like if its a gold invention, however, it's unlikely anyone would complete it in one round anyway. But say it's a bronze one, then there is no sense in starting it before it is requested, because everyone who starts it will likely complete it by the end of the round along with the player who has been waiting for it, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
dsaxon wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

dsaxon wrote:

Therefore, other players will have a chance to start this invention on the upcoming Laboratory phase. Otherwise, the player who had been waiting will snatch it up immediately without any chance for competition. This would greatly discourage starting an invention before it's requestd. It seems like if its a gold invention, however, it's unlikely anyone would complete it in one round anyway. But say it's a bronze one, then there is no sense in starting it before it is requested, because everyone who starts it will likely complete it by the end of the round along with the player who has been waiting for it, right?

Right!
The only case I can think of is this: you know what is coming (since you've used the proper option of the Council in a previous turn), so you start to work on it one turn earlier than needed (assuming you don't need the men elsewhere) to have the workers available during the next turn (when all the opponents that want to work on that invention must send some of their men to their labs, leaving you with the advantage to deploy more men in the city).
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.