Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Codenames» Forums » General

Subject: Spymaster using the timer (and telling their team they can continue guessing) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stockton-Pitt
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
designer
radical8games.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game we had an issue come up where as soon as a team identified the 2 words the spymaster had given a clue towards, the spymaster slammed the timer down in front of them. We argued that this was clearly against the spirit of the game (that the spymaster gives no information except the clue and number), whereas the other team argued that the rules state any player can use the timer. The spymaster also told there team they could use their extra clue when they were considering passing, basically saying they could safely guess again using the same clue. Now, we were all confident the second thing shouldn't have happened, but there was some dispute about the first.
What do people here think, do you let the spymaster use the timer on their own team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
therearerules wrote:
In a recent game we had an issue come up where as soon as a team identified the 2 words the spymaster had given a clue towards, the spymaster slammed the timer down in front of them. We argued that this was clearly against the spirit of the game (that the spymaster gives no information except the clue and number), whereas the other team argued that the rules state any player can use the timer. The spymaster also told there team they could use their extra clue when they were considering passing, basically saying they could safely guess again using the same clue. Now, we were all confident the second thing shouldn't have happened, but there was some dispute about the first.
What do people here think, do you let the spymaster use the timer on their own team?

I think that sounds like an interesting and potentially fun way to plahif everyone agrees before hand but it seems like lawyer ball if they do it mid game like that.

Also, I think I would prefer to play without those shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therearerules wrote:

Obviously a bad thing to do and against the rules about giving information. By this logic of using the timer as such, the spymaster could place the timer directly on the card he/she wants the team to guess...or use one-knock-for-yes, two-knocks-for-no to play twenty questions.

Information is information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurred to me at some point that spymasters probably shouldn't flip the timer on their teammates for fear of the appearance of something like that. But I'm still surprised someone did it so baldly. You barely have a game left if that's legal. Don't allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not allowed. It came up during our game, when the spymaster flipped the timer on his own team because he wanted them to make a decision - effectively communicating that the card they were leaning towards picking was the right one.

After that we simply said that spymasters cannot use the timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Definitely not allowed. It came up during our game, when the spymaster flipped the timer on his own team because he wanted them to make a decision - effectively communicating that the card they were leaning towards picking was the right one.

After that we simply said that spymasters cannot use the timer.

Whilst the example given supports your house rule, I would find this rule generally unacceptable. Our club rarely use the timer, but when it is used, it is most often the Spymaster playing it on his/her own team, because they're just taking so long. I don't see anything unethical about saying, effectively "Just get a move on, you're driving me crazy!".

I would have solved your problem by ruling that the use of the timer (by anyone) is only allowed after a few minutes have passed. (Or, more cruelly, by putting the timer on every team as soon as the clue is given - perhaps allowing one turn of it after the sand has run through.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy S.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
If someone tried this ploy in one of my game groups I can guarantee there'd be a big fight. That is such a blatant "gaming" of the rules that it would be objected and rejected immediately. It doesn't matter that "the rules don't say you can't do that". The laws don't say "you can't kill someone by filling their mouth with asteroid debris from the Gamma Quadrant and making them choke on it and die". But if you manage to get your hands on asteroid debris from the Gamma Quadrant and then kill someone with it, don't be shocked if your "not against the rules" defense gets you a life sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
padlock

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
I agree that it's against the spirit of the rules. If the opposing spy master continues to do it, just flip the timer yourself as soon as they've given the clue. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used the timer and don't think that I will.

When teaching the game, I often ask if the guessers want to use their "extra" guess, but am careful not (or at least try not) to give any information based on tone of voice or when I guess.

For example, I'll wait a few seconds and/or until it looks like they are done before asking. I wouldn't do it at all, but it seems like a lot of people forget about the extra guess possibility. Then you have that awkward, "Who's turn is it?" moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.