Alkung Lalafell
Thailand
flag msg tools
I'm going to purchase it next week. I will mainly play it with 3 or more players.

The game looks really fun and it climb customizable game rank really fast xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
It's a blast - and yes a single core is sufficient for a melee with up to 4 players at once. There are pre-constructed decklists in order to jump right in. You won't get much customization out of a single core, but it's definitely the right starting point... if you like what you see, you'll find it hard to resist the urge for a second core set to add to your deckbuilding abilities.

As for how long it takes - a 'tournament' round for melee in Thrones 1.0 is 1.5 hrs - but that's with decks built for the format, and players intimiately famliar with the rules. If you get a few joust games under your belt first (to get a hand on the cards etc), your first melee game could be about 2 hrs, working it's way down to 1.5 hrs as you get familiar with the dynamic. More deckbuilding options (a second and third core) will bring the time down further.

If you jump right into melee and you're reading all the cards for the first time, I wouldn't be surprised if it took you over 3.5 hrs for your first match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alkung wrote:
I'm going to purchase it next week. I will mainly play it with 3 or more players.

The game functions very well on its own like a charm. The learning scenario in which the Lannisters and Starks pit off against one another is a very thrilling quick game that is pretty well balanced.

Three of the four "coalition" decks are relatively well balanced. One seems overpowered and so far in the several games I've been through all have ended with a Targaryen/Martell victory. Their deck seems overpowered when compared to other decks, with The Red Viper who gets stronger as the game goes later up to a terrifying 11 STR points on the 7th turn. In our games, it does matter if the player was forced to discard numerous card using intrigue or under frequent military attack; the Targaryen/Martell player never had any trouble (even with bad hands) to relatively quickly recuperate and amass victory points.

The best game might be a three-player game with the other three decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Note that Martel is strongest on turn 6, when there are 5 plots in the used pile.

On turn 7, the previous 6 plots go back to the plot deck, and they are re-set to 0 plots in the used pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proxyman wrote:
Note that Martel is strongest on turn 6, when there are 5 plots in the used pile.

On turn 7, the previous 6 plots go back to the plot deck, and they are re-set to 0 plots in the used pile.

I didn't limit myself to that single House Cards. One of the Targaryen wins was even without The Red Viper (he was discarded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sargeras777 wrote:
Alkung wrote:

The game functions very well on its own like a charm. The learning scenario in which the Lannisters and Starks pit off against one another is a very thrilling quick game that is pretty well balanced.

Three of the four "coalition" decks are relatively well balanced. One seems overpowered and so far in the several games I've been through all have ended with a Targaryen/Martell victory. Their deck seems overpowered when compared to other decks, with The Red Viper who gets stronger as the game goes later up to a terrifying 11 STR points on the 7th turn. In our games, it does matter if the player was forced to discard numerous card using intrigue or under frequent military attack; the Targaryen/Martell player never had any trouble (even with bad hands) to relatively quickly recuperate and amass victory points.

The best game might be a three-player game with the other three decks.

I don't think that's significant tbh, just coincidental. My first Melee was last night and I creamed the Targ/Martell player and Stark/Greyjoy player while playing as Lanni/Tyrell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proxyman wrote:

Wait, so the Martells' max is +5?

P. S. By the way, we never get to turn number 7. The Targaryen player mostly wins around turn 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
proxyman wrote:

Wait, so the Martells' max is +5?

P. S. By the way, we never get to turn number 7. The Targaryen player mostly wins around turn 5.

Yep. There will never be 6 plots in the used pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.