Popular Tags: wiki [+] ameritrash [+] Great_games_defined [+] [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some talk about creating a wiki page to give general info about the Ameritrash games so we don't have to point at threads or geeklists every time someone wants more information. I stubbed out a page with some general info. It's pretty sparse right now. Also, it's about as dry as a bone which we all know is not Ameritrash. There need to be some nukes and motorcycles in there somewhere. Anyhow, if you've got the time and interest, edit away:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Ameritrash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should the entry also have some standard definition added? e.g. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ameritrash
(I dunno)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate everyone's attempts to classify this genre of games (that I happen to enjoy quite a bit), but are we really stuck with the name Ameritrash? It works as a description, I suppose, but it seems that the use of that term was designed to define the fans of the genre as a disaffected minority here trying to fight off attacking Eurogamers. Do any of the fans of the genre have a different term that seems less bitter?

I apologize if the topic of the name has been covered ad nauseam already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
latindog wrote:
I appreciate everyone's attempts to classify this genre of games (that I happen to enjoy quite a bit), but are we really stuck with the name Ameritrash? It works as a description, I suppose, but it seems that the use of that term was designed to define the fans of the genre as a disaffected minority here trying to fight off attacking Eurogamers. Do any of the fans of the genre have a different term that seems less bitter?

I apologize if the topic of the name has been covered ad nauseam already.

It has been discussed.

And I personally love the name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
It has been discussed.

And I personally hate the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent start. I wish we could get people to start calling these "Amerigames", though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
An excellent start. I wish we could get people to start calling these "Amerigames", though.

Or AmeriClassics?
Or AmeriQuality?
Or AmeriFun?
Or AmeriBadMammaJammas?

I don't know. I like it when someone uses the terms "AmeriTrash" or "EuroSnoot", with all sincerity, to describe a game. That person allows me to know just how dull they are. I only wish more people would come out and be more clear about their true mental and social capacities before I got to know them. It makes things so much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through and formatted a wee bit of the text to make it more readable. Having that massive chunk of info without breaks was painful to scan/read through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
How about "Bad Ass Games" (BAGs)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
bill_andel wrote:

Or AmeriClassics?
Or AmeriQuality?
Or AmeriFun?
Or AmeriBadMammaJammas?

I don't know. I like it when someone uses the terms "AmeriTrash" or "EuroSnoot", with all sincerity, to describe a game. That person allows me to know just how dull they are. I only wish more people would come out and be more clear about their true mental and social capacities before I got to know them. It makes things so much easier.

Yeah, I'm glad you have the great mental capacity to judge an entire IQ of someone based on a nickname coined to a game. We aren't worthy of your obviously enlightened views on personalities and intelligence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
This is a great set of info about these games. Thank you for adding it to the wiki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks a lot ROB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
joebelanger wrote:
bill_andel wrote:

Or AmeriClassics?
Or AmeriQuality?
Or AmeriFun?
Or AmeriBadMammaJammas?

Yeah, I'm glad you have the great mental capacity to judge an entire IQ of someone based on a nickname coined to a game. We aren't worthy of your obviously enlightened views on personalities and intelligence.

Thank you. You couldn't have made that any easier for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hmm...alright Ameritrash.

Drama, Elegance and Realism all appeal to me. But if I were to drop one then it would be realism. No sense being realistic if it isn't fun. Drama and Elegance...I guess hybrids would appeal most to me, because a dramatic yet bloated endless wreck of a game wouldn't appeal to me; while on the other hand an elegant yet dry and boring game wouldn't either.

Conflict, dice, theme, nukes, title, chrome, minis...I'm cool with (as long as I don't have to paint anything). Player elimination is alright, though if there were a way to prevent it without either making 90% of the game worthless except for the final moments, or allowing players to stay along with no help of winning (creating kingmaking opportunities)...then I'd be cool with it.

Long playing time...hmm. Unfotunately for me, I don't know anyone who can sit still for more than an hour or 2. I would be up for a say...4-8 hour game of conquest though; but nothing that realistically takes longer than a day to play. "Let's just leave it set up like this and come back tomorrow"...no thank you. I've played 14 hour games of Civilization and guess what...by the end you're just hoping it will end. There isn't a cardboard box in the world with 14 hours of game in it.

Imbalance, kingmaking, ganging up. This is where Ameritrash falls down for me. Something like Diplomacy is probably the last thing I would ever want to play. That seems more like a popularity contest than a game. Why not just forget the game and everyone just secretly write a name down. Then each round whoever got the least votes is out of the game. Then it only takes 5 minutes to arbitrarily hurt everyone's feelings instead of hours. I'd rather play something like Axis & Allies...with set sides. Hitler can't just decide to join the Americans in the middle of the game and that's the way I like it. I used to play D&D with people who would literally bring gifts for the DM each session. How do you think that turned out? No fun at all.

A short'ish Ameritrash with defined sides, and maybe some hybrid Euro stuff thrown in is I guess what I'd be into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len & Amy Billingsley
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob - Really a nice piece of work.

Thanks much.thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A valiant effort!

Honestly, I think the article could say more if it was half as long.

I assume we're all free to pitch in and edit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

Have at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:

Hear hear. I certainly am not going to object to anyone calling the genre "Ameritrash", but I'm going to use "Amerigames" and think it's a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

Have at it!

One problem, a large chunk is attributed to a particular person, so editing it is changing their words. Is that section off limits or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer66 wrote:
robartin wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

Have at it!

One problem, a large chunk is attributed to a particular person, so editing it is changing their words. Is that section off limits or what?

I'm wondering if that entire section wouldn't be better off represented as a link to the post, with the main points summarized in the wiki?

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the wiki, Robert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I'm wondering if that entire section wouldn't be better off represented as a link to the post, with the main points summarized in the wiki?

That sounds like a good idea. It will shorten up the main article, which will allow more detail to be added there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
bill_andel wrote:

Hear hear. I certainly am not going to object to anyone calling the genre "Ameritrash", but I'm going to use "Amerigames" and think it's a great idea.

I would prefer that the term "Ameritrash" is not used.

As such, I'll also refer to games in this genre as "Amerigames".

Or maybe as Ameros?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or "Muros", as in 'Murrica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.