United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2015 Mini Secret Santa!

Interested in getting involved with the Print-and-Play Secret Santa but daunted by the printing requirements? Want to dip your toe in the pool of seasonal PnP generosity? Why not try the Mini Print-and-Play Secret Santa?

The whole "lower page count limit" for the regular PnP Secret Santa seems to generate a lot of anxiety, and it also relegates awesome minimalist designs to "also-rans" rather than the main event. The Mini PnP Secret Santa celebrates those smaller gems without the stress of wondering whether you're building enough for your target.

An introduction to Print & Play: On the geek, there are a plethora of FREE games, there for the taking! The catch? YOU have to make them! Some simply require you to print and cut out, while others are much more complicated. In addition, you can make a quick player's copy, or take your time and make a masterpiece. We're kinda leaning towards the former here...

Sign-ups Closed - View Exchange Here

Once you've signed up, don't forget to...

Add your wishlist here!

Here's all the important details:

This exchange is based heavily on the excellent work that Simon Hunt/H3rne did running the first Mini-PnP-Secret-Santa in 2013 - many thanks to Simon both for an enjoyable event in 2013 and the basis for this rules/description document!

Requirements

You must be a member of the The Print and Play Guild. It isn't that hard to join the best community within BGG. Just click that link! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/477

You must sign up for this exchange before Sunday, November 8, 2015. This is a bit earlier than last year, so should definitely leave everyone enough time to research, select a game, spend a couple hours of crafting and pop it in the post in time for the Big Day. Once you get your target, check the last posting dates before Christmas with your local post office so you have an idea of how much time you have.

Expectations

Receivers

You may not receive a game on your wishlist. The longer and more detailed your wish list entry is, the more likely you will be pleased with what you receive.

The game you receive will be a small Print and Play game. It might be a single printed sheet with no other components or require you to provide components of your own like dice, markers, tokens, play money or real money (Coin Age I'm looking at you!). This is not the BGG Secret Santa exchange. If you are seeking a new, just-released, shrink-wrapped game, this is not the exchange for you. This is not the BGG "Full Fat" Print and Play Secret Santa for heavy-duty crafters. If you are seeking a large, complex and/or professional-looking game in a box, this is not the exchange for you either.

You may not receive as many items as other people on the list - frankly I'm expecting just one game per target, but that's not a rule. This exchange is random and anonymous. Some participants can afford the time or may be more skilled, enabling them to be more prolific than others, but the spirit of this exchange is minimalist. If you feel the overwhelming desire to bombard your target with 20 Christmas Cards - each containing a mini-game, then you are probably on the wrong exchange.

Please be respectful and thankful for whatever you receive. The idea is that you receive a fun diversion for Christmas - just enough for you to feel "Hey! I got a game."

Givers

Bear in mind that the postage is likely to represent the main cost, and bear this in mind when signing up and selecting countries you can post to.

The Santa/Santee assignment is automated and cannot be edited by hand, so keep this in mind also. Unfortunately this means that comments like "I'm happy to send internationally but prefer to send within the country" cannot be heeded. If you're happy to send internationally that's great, but you do need to check the relevant box. If you'd rather send only within your home country, then that's great too, feel free to restrict your signup however you feel comfortable.

You are expected to deliver a constructed game that will be playable with minor common component additions, that you believe will be enjoyed by your target. "Constructed" means that the receiver should not need to do any cutting or gluing when receiving your gift (e.g. Pocket Mods should be cut and folded!). It is difficult to put a price tag, time cap or size restriction on this requirement, as the nature of print and play produces a huge spectrum of costs, time and size. As a general guideline, this being the lite/mini Secret Santa, I suggest some maximum values for these. Even pushing out the boat, it shouldn't cost more than $5 to make, take more than a couple of hours to craft or require more than 10 pages of printing (and I'm probably not including rules in that). If you do feel compelled to go above and beyond, your target will no doubt appreciate it but please don't feel short-changed if your own Santa doesn't match your efforts. If you would rather build (and receive) something more complex, the Full-fat PnP Secret Santa may be what you're after!

You may have to do some investigation. This is not the main BGG exchange. Not everyone will post on the Micro Print and Play Secret Santa Wishlist. You will need to look at their profile, their personal wish list, wants in trade list, games rated highly, etc. This is your chance to play detective and be creative. It’s possible you know of a game that would be a perfect match, but that your target has never even heard of. On the other hand, I'd avoid sending pocket-mod RPGs or Postcard war-games if the receiver doesn't show any interest in RPGs or wargames.

You are responsible for shipping your gift. Again, if you need to use more than a Christmas Card envelope, you're possibly on the wrong exchange.

PnP Angels of Lite

The PnP Angels of Lite are responsible for making sure everyone has a good mini-game Christmas. They pick up the slack when other Santas are unable to give an appropriate gift to their targets.

If you selected 'Give Only' you're already a PnP Angel of Lite! You may also volunteer to help out by GM to me (Bichatse); I will coordinate with the PnP Angels of Lite to make sure that all participants receive something.

Help! Life just happened…

If you are having trouble of any kind and think you won't be able to send something suitable to your target, please contact me via GM in the first instance and I'll set an PnP Angel of Lite on the case:
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lastly

Many thanks to the Thrifty Secret Santa via Simon Hunt for a template (including this bit). Okay - I stole it without technically asking, but thanks anyway!

SEASONS GREETINGS, and lets re-define the meaning of Christmas Post!

Some Useful Links:

General Info

The Print and Play Guild
Print and Play Games Construction Tips and More Links
PnP Podcast (by FNH)
All the DIY links you never knew you needed

Design contests which have produced some small games

2009 4 Tile/Card
2010 One-Sheet Label
2011 Quick PnP
2013 Two-Player
2013 Postcard Game
2013 Solitaire
2013 In a Tin/Express
2014 Two-Player
2014 Solitaire
2014 Card Game
2014 Microgame
2014 Dice Game
2014 18 Card Microgame
2015 Solitaire
2015 Microgame
2015 Two-Player

Todd Sanders in particular has designed many small games that would be suitable

24-Hour Contests

Other places to find small games

Minimal versions of boardgames on playable postcards
Postcard and one-page PnP wargames
PnP Game Suggestions

If anyone knows of any other good repositories of small PnP games or useful DIY links, let us know in the thread below!

Taunting

Remember to use this account to keep your target updated taunt your target!

Mini PnP Santa
msg tools

User name: Mini PnP Santa
Password: tiny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am planning on signing up for this, but my printer just crapped out and I haven't had time to look at it yet... If I can get it fixed or get a wireless router to hook up my other one, I will sign up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i will be a substitute Santa over here as well as the main SSPnP list. if someone doesn't receive something i will volunteer to be a crafter for that person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in as a give only as I enjoy making these more then playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up for my first mini-PnP santa! Super-excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Demski
Canada
Stony Mountain
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just signed up for my first Mini PnP Secret Santa as well! I'm new to PnP games, so was a little intimidated by the full PnP (maybe next year), but I think I can handle this one no problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! I need to tidy my PnP wishlist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soniaandree wrote:

How do you designate a PnP wishlist as separate from your regular wishlist here on the Geek? Do you just comment in your wishlist or do you create a geeklist or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:

How do you designate a PnP wishlist as separate from your regular wishlist here on the Geek? Do you just comment in your wishlist or do you create a geeklist or what?

Don't worry - either a geeklist or a thread will be going up a little before the closing date for wishlists. Of course, if people prefer to use their regular BGG wishlist then that's fine too, so you may have to do a little research if your target doesn't post one.

(Last year we did it in the announcement thread, which worked fine too, but I figure a separate thread or list makes it easier to find your target's wishlist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of fun

I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Leonard
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soniaandree wrote:

Me, too. I also need to check my geeklists I keep of the games received.

I keep my list as comments on my profile page (just click on my name).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have too much homework and whatnot to participate in the main PnPSS, but I'm sure I can find the time to participate in the mini-PnP!

In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Priyans Murarka
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up!

Looking forward to it! (Have to update my WishList meeplemeeple)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aalekh H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Signed up too! Have already got my Fat-PnP target, can't wait for my Mini-PnP one now. This is going to be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did wishlists in the main thread last year, but let's try a geeklist this time, eh? Hopefully it'll make everything clearer and easier to find.

2015 Mini Print-n-Play Secret Santa Wishlists

If you're taking part in the Mini PnP Secret Santa, please add an item to this list and give your Secret Santa something to go on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jp
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome, wish my craft skills where good enough to warrant joining.

;p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused as to what games to put on my wishlist. I have a bunch of retail box games on my list, but I can't imagine anyone making a PnP version (especially a mini PnP) if any of those games.

How do I even know which games qualify for a mini PnP? I know there are a lot of PnP versions of games on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full is considered a minimum of 10 pages. The mini is a minimum of "1". People here are great about appreciating anything that you do no matter what your level is. So sign up anyway and do your best no matter what level it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tabicat wrote:
I'm confused as to what games to put on my wishlist.

As mentioned, the general guidelines are something between 1 and 10 pages - so see if you can find any PnP games you're interested in which are around that size. You can search the BGG database for Print and Play games if you click the yellow "Adv. Search" link to the right of the search box at the top, expand the "Board Game Category" section and tick the "[+] Print and Play" box in the right-hand column.

If you need inspiration, you could wait a few days for other people to fill in their wishlists and see if there's anything you like the look of - the exchange is open until the end of Sunday, so there's no hurry to complete a wishlist yet.

There's also several links in the first post to sources of small Print and Play games. Not every game in the contests and lists linked to will be a 1-10 page game, but a sizeable chunk of them are.

Hopefully you'll find something that appeals! In the worst case, your Santa may be able to make a guess based on what games you've rated well and what items you have in your regular commercial-game wishlist, but it's best to give some suggestions if you can.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - you could also check the monthly PnP build lists and the PnP Hotness for ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.