Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Diep
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran into a rules question playing jon snow with longclaw attached. If he's participating in each challenge that wins, does he gain renown power tokens as well for each one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say "yes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
dragonz510 wrote:
Ran into a rules question playing jon snow with longclaw attached. If he's participating in each challenge that wins, does he gain renown power tokens as well for each one?

Sure - why wouldn't he? He is considered participating (as per his text). He has renown (as per Longclaw's text). Renown grants each participating character (for the winner) a power.

It's only fitting that Longclaw should work particularly well on both Jon Snow and Old Bear, the two people who wielded it in the books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

dragonz510 wrote:
If he's participating in each challenge that wins, does he gain renown power tokens as well for each one?

Here's a reference for you, so that you can be sure of our replies:

Page 9, Rules Reference: Under, "Gains"
"If a card gains a characteristic ( such as ... a keyword...), the card functions as if it possesses the gained characteristic".

So back to your example, if he participates in each challenge that he wins, then while he has 'Longclaw' attached, treat him as if he also has Renown, which of course means he gets a power token for each Challenge (that he wins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Jon + Longclaw is pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Diep
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just started playing with the pre built decks and it seemed kinda crazy at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that intrigues me more is why the only challenge Jon can take is Intrigue. That's so...baffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sargeras777 wrote:
The thing that intrigues me more is why the only challenge Jon can take is Intrigue. That's so...baffling.

Except his ability is this: While Jon Snow is standing, he is considered to be participating in each challenge in which you control another attacking [Night's Watch] character

But still, I wondered the same thing - at least why he doesn't have a printed Military Challenge Icon. Him being a bastard, I can understand why he doesn't have a Power Challenge icon. But no military? The way his ability reads I'm sure is meant to cover this - that essentially when in a defensive posture he's capable of any challenge, but when on the offense, his forte is intrigue only.

EDIT: On second thought, we need to keep in mind that the core set focuses on the first book. In the first book, Jon didn't have much of a military role, either. (Though I haven't read the books, but my wife has and this is what she reports plus the TV show didn't give him much military action, if at all, during season 1).

Perhaps in future expansions he'll pick up the military icon. Just as we can expect Joffrey to pick up the "King" trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Sargeras777 wrote:

Except his ability is this: While Jon Snow is standing, he is considered to be participating in each challenge in which you control another attacking [Night's Watch] character

But still, I wondered the same thing - at least why he doesn't have a printed Military Challenge Icon. Him being a bastard, I can understand why he doesn't have a Power Challenge icon. But no military? The way his ability reads I'm sure is meant to cover this - that essentially when in a defensive posture he's capable of any challenge, but when on the offense, his forte is intrigue only.

EDIT: On second thought, we need to keep in mind that the core set focuses on the first book. In the first book, Jon didn't have much of a military role, either. (Though I haven't read the books, but my wife has and this is what she reports plus the TV show didn't give him much military action, if at all, during season 1).

Perhaps in future expansions he'll pick up the military icon. Just as we can expect Joffrey to pick up the "King" trait.

But he isn't a Littlefinger or Varys either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

Sargeras777 wrote:

You have that backwards, his ability applies when *attacking*, so you can only kneel him to defend in Intrigue, but as long as he's supporting his brothers with the right icons, he can attack in all three challenges without kneeling.

As to why his sole icon is Intrigue even though it's not how he'd prefer to serve the Watch, that's thematic because despite his semi-noble upbringing and extensive martial training he's forced into the Stewards rather than the Rangers. The three icons are tied to the three orders (Ranger = Mil, Steward = Int, Builder = Pow). Intrigue fits because he's the personal aide to the Lord Commander, but he can still help you win Mil and Power challenges if you can get him into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, you're correct... I got that backwards. My dyslexic brain was thinking this: "...that essentially when in an offensive posture he's capable of any challenge, but when on the defense, his forte is intrigue only. (His ability makes this pretty clear). But I typed exactly the opposite. Getting old sucks.

And BTW, that was a great thematic explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemysław Rodzoń
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
raw_bean wrote:
As to why his sole icon is Intrigue even though it's not how he'd prefer to serve the Watch, that's thematic because despite his semi-noble upbringing and extensive martial training he's forced into the Stewards rather than the Rangers. The three icons are tied to the three orders (Ranger = Mil, Steward = Int, Builder = Pow). Intrigue fits because he's the personal aide to the Lord Commander, but he can still help you win Mil and Power challenges if you can get him into them.
I can understand this Ranger / Steward / Builder icon slit, but:
1. Jon is a capable fighter. Does being Steward made him less of a fighter?
2. Several Rangers has Power icon. Including Ranging Party. Hell, even chars like Iron Islands Fishmonger and Wildling Horde have Power icon. Is Jon really worse than that?
3. I can't remember Jon being very "smart" in book 1. He was rather straightforward. Hence intrigue icon is the only one I wouldn't give him.

To be honest, I would love to see him as a tricon, or Mil/Pow and ability to be considered participating in any challange if at least one other NW charaacter is. Because right now he's a contradiction of defensive NW archetype. We'll see what future brings, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just for grins and giggles, Jon Snow existed as three versions in 1e. They were:

Set: Core Set
House: Neutral
Cost: 3
Strength:3
Icons: Military, Power

Card Text:
Bastard. Night's Watch.
No attachments except Weapon.
Ghost is immune to events.
Response: After you win a challenge in which Jon Snow or Ghost participated, Jon Snow claims 1 power.

Set: A Sword in the Darkness Ch Pack
House: Stark
Strength: 3

Card Text:
Night's Watch. Wildling.
Any Phase: Kneel 1 Night's Watch or 1 Wildling character to choose another Night's Watch or Wildling character. Until the end of the phase, that character gains a War crest.

Set: The Horn That Wakes Ch Pack
House: Stark
Strength: 2

Card Text:
Bastard. Night's Watch. Wildling.
Deadly.
Your Wildling characters get +1 STR.
Your Night's Watch characters gain "immune to events."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.