Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any info on the Deluxe sets?

I'm inquiring as to whether it pays off to just wait for them. What was the situation in the previous edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
Sargeras777 wrote:

I'm inquiring as to whether it pays off to just wait for them. What was the situation in the previous edition?

The deluxe boxes are simply a different expansion format - they don't supercede the core, or anything like that. Essentially, the game is expanded in two ways:

1) Groups, called cycles, of 6 "Chapter Packs", each with a full playset of 20 new cards. Chapter packs are released roughly a month apart. When we hit our 8th cycle (>4 yrs from now), the current model is that the first two cycles will 'rotate' out of the competitive field.

2) Boxes, called deluxe boxes, of a full playset of 50-60 new cards. In 1st edition, each box was themed around a specific faction (Lords of Winter, Kings of the Storm, Lions of the Rock), with some neutrals/cards for other factions. In Netrunner/Star Wars, these are split between two factions - but those games are asymetric. We don't yet know what model they'll go with (mono-faction, mono-theme, dual-faction), but typically a deluxe box is released ~between two cycles. Deluxe boxes will never 'rotate' out of the card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's likely that the deluxes will be dual faction - otherwise the last few factions will have to wait ages (years) for theirs to come along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
First Edition had them quite far apart from each other.

Netrunner has tended to have them between cycles. The recent Warhammer 40k Conquest one was after the first cycle too.

This is a pure guess, but I imagine that the Deluxe Expansions for this game will be two factions each in the box. Something like:
Night's Watch / Stark deluxe box
Lannister / Tyrell deluxe box
Targaryen / Martell deluxe box
etc.

First Edition deluxe boxes had cards that were not for the faction on the cover too. The Greyjoy one, for example, had a new Joffrey and a bunch of neutral cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aphynes wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

The deluxe boxes are simply a different expansion format - they don't supercede the core, or anything like that. Essentially, the game is expanded in two ways:

1) Groups, called cycles, of 6 "Chapter Packs", each with a full playset of 20 new cards. Chapter packs are released roughly a month apart. When we hit our 8th cycle (>4 yrs from now), the current model is that the first two cycles will 'rotate' out of the competitive field.

2) Boxes, called deluxe boxes, of a full playset of 50-60 new cards. In 1st edition, each box was themed around a specific faction (Lords of Winter, Kings of the Storm, Lions of the Rock), with some neutrals/cards for other factions. In Netrunner/Star Wars, these are split between two factions - but those games are asymetric. We don't yet know what model they'll go with (mono-faction, mono-theme, dual-faction), but typically a deluxe box is released ~between two cycles. Deluxe boxes will never 'rotate' out of the card pool.

I guess my question was does it pay off to wait for the Deluxe Expansions rather than purchase the mini-decks right now.

Did all decks come in deluxe expansions in the previous edition (one way or another)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

I guess my question was does it pay off to wait for the Deluxe Expansions rather than purchase the mini-decks right now.

Did all decks come in deluxe expansions in the previous edition (one way or another)?

Not sure I understand the question, but there was very little to no overlap between Core Set, Chapter Packs, and Deluxe Expansions. There were Deluxe Expansions for all the Houses (Factions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
Pure speculation of course but I'm expecting the deluxe expansions to each be dedicated to the next book in the series and provide key cards of characters/locations/events that are important to the book as a whole, then for each chapter pack to fill in the gaps as the Westeros cycle is doing. Possibly a new title for melee as well (!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:

Not sure I understand the question, but there was very little to no overlap between Core Set, Chapter Packs, and Deluxe Expansions. There were Deluxe Expansions for all the Houses (Factions).

Wait what? No overlap? What were precisely the Deluxe Expansions then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually 165 - 180 cards (3 of each), predominantly focused on one House (with a few cards from other Factions/Neutrals). They were big (Deluxe) Expansions -- not Deluxe (fancy) versions of Chapter Packs.

Chapter Packs were 60 cards, pretty evenly spread among all the Houses and some Neutrals. They were small expansions.

If you played Lannister, a Chapter Pack would give you a few cards you could use, but lots you wouldn't necessarily want. The Lions of the Rock Deluxe Expansion would give you 37 different Lannister cards, plus 11 Neutrals, and 7 others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't get all the cards from the Chapter Packs in a Deluxe Expansion -- and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
You won't get all any of the cards from the Chapter Packs in a Deluxe Expansion -- and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
You won't get all any of the cards from the Chapter Packs in a Deluxe Expansion -- and vice versa.

We don't know that for sure -- that didn't happen in the First Edition, but sometimes cards from the Core Set were also in Deluxe Expansions. I'll grant you it is very unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
Tubarush wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

We don't know that for sure -- that didn't happen in the First Edition, but sometimes cards from the Core Set were also in Deluxe Expansions. I'll grant you it is very unlikely.

I don't recall this ever happening. The only example I can kind of think of was Jaqen H'ghar which was banned either immediately upon release or slightly before, and they released a reprint of him with less bonkers text later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
Tubarush wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

I don't recall this ever happening. The only example I can kind of think of was Jaqen H'ghar which was banned either immediately upon release or slightly before, and they released a reprint of him with less bonkers text later.

There were locations from the Core Set that showed up in Deluxe Expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
They were just the basic economy locations though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
Tubarush wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

The revised Jaqen was released in a reprint of the same chapter pack he originally came in. He was unbanned and errata-ed to have the new text (so older copies of the card were considered to have the new text as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
manydills wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
Tubarush wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

The revised Jaqen was released in a reprint of the same chapter pack he originally came in. He was unbanned and errata-ed to have the new text (so older copies of the card were considered to have the new text as well).

Ah, yes - I misremembered exactly how that all went down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear:

The cards in the Core Set are ONLY in the Core Set.

When teh Deluxe Expansions come, the cards in them will ONLY be in them. That's how the LCG model works.

If you think that waiting for a Deluxe Expansion will give you a lot of cards for one faction and include cards from the Core Set, that is an incorrect assumption. You'll get a lot of cards for one faction, yes, but without the Core Set you will be missing fundamentally critical cards for every Faction and many of the most important Plot Cards, likely for the run of the whole game.

Get the Core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just to clarify, there will be 3 copies of each card in each deluxe expansion?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Laerfan wrote:
You'll get a lot of cards for one faction, yes, but without the Core Set you will be missing fundamentally critical cards

You'd think people would guess that expansions expand the game

The way LCGs are structured now each deluxe expansion is independent enough that it only requires the core, although the first cycle of chapter packs is probably nigh-mandatory. Taking the Black has a couple of must-haves for some factions.

CardgameDB has all the known cards for FFG's LCGs in case you want to know what's in an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.