Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I understand the rules, you cannot retreat through an enemy ZOC, even if the hex is friendly-occupied, right? So if you have an enemy unit surrounded with your ZOCs, his friends can't cover his retreat. He's still dead if you get a retreat result against him.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. This is a standard idea in many wargames. You may not have the strength to eliminate the enemy unit directly, but if you can block his retreat, he is eliminated anyway. So if you can't get enough strength adjacent to him to attack him at high enough odds to guarantee a DE result, at least try to surround him with ZOCs so a DR result which he can't fulfil ends up eliminating him anyway.

For this reason the order in which you make your attacks in a turn can have great importance, because the results that force him back and let you advance may also allow you to surround neighbouring enemy units with your units &/or ZOC, so that a DR against those units will result in his elimination.

This is one of the things I like about simpler wargames like BotAW, Napoleon's Last Battles and Blue & Grey: the tactics of which attacks to roll first to maximise the odds of eliminating his units when unable to retreat. Perhaps not the most highly realistic, but I enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure. What I was questioning is just that in this game, apparently the presence of friendly units does not negate enemy ZOCs for purposes of retreat. I think most of the wargames I've played say they do.

I.e., if you had a situation like this:

If the Saxons attack the Viking 4-3 and get a DR result, the Viking is eliminated. He cannot retreat because he is surround by Saxon ZOCs, even though a friendly unit occupies one of those spaces. I think in most other wargames I've played the friendly unit would negate the ZOC for purposes of retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 13.4 subsection 4.3 imposes stacking limits at all times, not just at the end of movement and combat phases. Thus retreating into/through a hex occupied by friendly units is prohibited.

Retreat rule 7.8, 1st paragraph prohibits retreat into/through EZOC and prohibited hexes [whether prohibited due to terrain, overstacking, etc].
However, 2nd paragraph allows retreat through friendly units, *if* that is the only hex otherwise available (i.e. if the hex were vacant, it would be a legal retreat hex).

So the answer to your question is: No, the presence of a friendly unit does not negate EZOC for the purposes of retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.