Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Runebound (First Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Time Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Bratt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just recently received this game through BGG Marketplace laughlaugh

I made a good purchase! We played this game with 3 people for the first time today, here's some highlights:

I noticed that if your starting character has a lot of health (4 or 5) it makes the beginning of the game a lot easier. I started with a character that had 5 health! I didn't die one time the whole game (mainly because I also had some shield items/artifacts) and I didn't have one single ally!

The blue and the red may look intimidating but their not. If you have a player with a lot of health (like I did) it really doesn't make that big of a difference if your fighting a blue or a yellow. I started out attacking 2 or 3 greens and than moved on to 2 yellows. After going to a town or two I fought 3 blues and beat them all the first time. I was feeling pretty cocky at that point and already had 2 runes so I attacked a red and won! This made me have 3 runes and win!!

One of the other players spent the whole time hopping between towns/markets they ended up with 2 allies and a bunch of items, but they still didn't have all that much power since they could only afford the cheap stuff (and their character only had 3 health!!)

The other player copied just about everything I did. When I decided to try my first yellow, so did he. When I tried a blue so did he. He ended up in second and had 2 allies and a good amount of money!

The whole game took about 90 minutes and proved to be a great experience. I didn't notice it but my game has the Shadow of Margath expansion included already!!

A couple minor questions:
-Do the red cards count as normal runes? I had 2 runes and than defeated a red enemy..does that mean I win??
-When you perform combat rolls is it equal or greater? Lets say I had 5 melee and the enemy had 12 melee. I roll a 7...do I dish out damage or do I take damage?
-There seem to be a lot of the event cards...But surprisingly the first one that came up in our game was a blue card which doubled every thing's price...We decided not to follow this rule since it would make the game much harder
-Is it possible to run out of adventures due to knockouts? If players kept getting up to 3 or 4 experience and than dying wouldn't that eventually make the game almost impossible to finish?? I can't see this happening with less than 5 players but 5 or 6..maybe??
-What if there is a tie in total combat roll in hero vs hero??
-Is there a limit to number of allies you can have?

One big question:
-If I'm attacking a creature that has let's say 12/2, 18/0, 9/3, and 4HP, with my party of me (3/1, 3/1, 4/2, 5HP) and an ally (0/2, 3/1, 1/1, 3HP) is this a valid battle outcome:

Round 1
I decide to attack with my hero for range and ally for melee, I will defend with my hero for magic.
I attack with a roll of 11 and do 1 damage to the creature
My ally attacks with a roll of 5 and loses nothing
I defend with a roll of 3 and lose 3 HP

Round 2:
I decide to attack with my hero for magic and ally for melee, I will defend for ranged.
I defend with a roll of 9 and lose no HP.
My ally attacks with a roll of 20 and does 1 damage
I attack with a roll of 6 and kill the beast!!

Basically, I didn't really understand how allies fight...do they just attack once and become deactivated or do they keep attacking every round (they can't defend though...right?). If I have 4 allies can I fight with 3 allies (one per each phase) and than the next round fight with 2 allies and than with my hero?


I found this game to be awesome and the rules make the game easy to learn but don't cover every loophole leaving a couple things undecided.

I will be very very happy if you answer my questions too! (I can't really afford to give out GG at the moment though....maybe imaginary s )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm *extremely* happy you like Runebound, its one of my absolute favorite games, but my question is why did you get the 1st Edition of Runebound? The 2nd Edition is infinitely better and fixes a lot of the issues the 1st edition had. The 2nd Edition is also the one that is being supported.

Again, LOVE the game, but I never played the 1st Edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bratt
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
It was $10 for the 1st edition...so I jumped.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adamjon858 wrote:
The blue and the red may look intimidating but their not. If you have a player with a lot of health (like I did) it really doesn't make that big of a difference if your fighting a blue or a yellow. I started out attacking 2 or 3 greens and than moved on to 2 yellows. After going to a town or two I fought 3 blues and beat them all the first time. I was feeling pretty cocky at that point and already had 2 runes so I attacked a red and won! This made me have 3 runes and win!!
Just after I got the game I tried a simple 2-player by myself. One player was "careful and strategic", taking out mainly green encounters and building up. The other guy was just crazy and went straight for some blue and yellow encounters. The latter ended up waaay ahead of the former. So it's a gamble in the beginning (you need a few lucky rolls and a lot of Life helps), but if you get through you gain a great advantage.
adamjon858 wrote:
A couple minor questions:
-Do the red cards count as normal runes? I had 2 runes and than defeated a red enemy..does that mean I win??
Not sure what you mean by normal runes? To win you either defeat the main badguy, or collect 3 runes. All the red monsters who aren't the "boss" turn into runes when you defeat them. So unless I'm missing something, yeah you won.
adamjon858 wrote:

-When you perform combat rolls is it equal or greater? Lets say I had 5 melee and the enemy had 12 melee. I roll a 7...do I dish out damage or do I take damage?
Equal or greater to win. So you dish out :)
adamjon858 wrote:

-There seem to be a lot of the event cards...But surprisingly the first one that came up in our game was a blue card which doubled every thing's price...We decided not to follow this rule since it would make the game much harder
Usually you get a green one first, than yellow, etc. But it's very possible to get one of the higher ones early on. It can change the game quite a bit, and I suggest always leaving them in. It really helps with variety to the game.
adamjon858 wrote:

-Is it possible to run out of adventures due to knockouts? If players kept getting up to 3 or 4 experience and than dying wouldn't that eventually make the game almost impossible to finish?? I can't see this happening with less than 5 players but 5 or 6..maybe??
Absolutely. The Advanced Rules help here with some "random encounters".
adamjon858 wrote:

-What if there is a tie in total combat roll in hero vs hero??
Just like with other encounters you only have to equal his total to attack. Also note that pvp alternate rounds attacking and defending, and the defender always rolls first so the attacker knows what he needs to beat.
adamjon858 wrote:

-Is there a limit to number of allies you can have?
It's not in the rules, but accordnig to the FAQ the limit is 2 allies (and 2 weapons and 1 armor, as stated in the rules)
adamjon858 wrote:

One big question:
-If I'm attacking a creature that has let's say 12/2, 18/0, 9/3, and 4HP, with my party of me (3/1, 3/1, 4/2, 5HP) and an ally (0/2, 3/1, 1/1, 3HP) is this a valid battle outcome:

Round 1
I decide to attack with my hero for range and ally for melee, I will defend with my hero for magic.
I attack with a roll of 11 and do 1 damage to the creature
My ally attacks with a roll of 5 and loses nothing
I defend with a roll of 3 and lose 3 HP

Round 2:
I decide to attack with my hero for magic and ally for melee, I will defend for ranged.
I defend with a roll of 9 and lose no HP.
My ally attacks with a roll of 20 and does 1 damage
I attack with a roll of 6 and kill the beast!!
As far as I can see, this is correct.
adamjon858 wrote:

Basically, I didn't really understand how allies fight...do they just attack once and become deactivated or do they keep attacking every round (they can't defend though...right?).
Both you and your allies can only attack once each round. So if you have 2 allies (max) then you can attack one of the phases (e.g. melee) and they can attack in one of the other phases (e.g. ranged and magic). Allies never defend (always you).

Noticed after writing this up that the OP was quite old ^^ I'm leaving this in either way, as it might help some new folks later on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.