Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Nefarious» Forums » General

Subject: Is it possible to get stuck on this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to use the word broken because my goal is never to "solve" games or find flaws. However, today I played a 2 player game with my girlfriend and I got into a situation that made the game very frustrating. I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember the following setup:

Twist Card - when you research, you don't get any money.
Work Space - had two of her workers on there

Remember, in a two player game, your opponent sits both to your left and right, so it's $2 for a worker.

I need money to do anything, so I naturally take the Work action. Well, guess what? The moment I do that, I owe her $4. Then I take $4 from the bank. Then next turn, I need more money (so I can invent). I take Work and pay her my $4 and take $4. If you're keeping track, I now have $4 and she has $8 additional dollars. She won soon after.

Another issue I found was when you are doing the first phase where you select actions and pay out based on workers, it's confusing which order goes first.

For example: She takes the espionage action and I have two workers there. She owes me $4 (in a 2 player game), but she has no money. I take the research action and she has 2 workers there. I owe have $4 and can easily pay. If she pays me first, she pays $0 of $4 since she's broke, then I pay her $4 for doing research. If I go first, I pay her the $4 and she'll turn around and pay me the $4. So we are net zero.

There's no concept of first player here, so who pays who first, when at least one party doesn't have enough?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't pay her, ahe takes the money from the bank.

However, if you borh had a bunch of agens there, the game might stall since no one would want to take the action and give a lot of money to the opponent.

Some setups are better than others, so when you set it up, take a look at the card and check if it seems fun. If you like the game to be fast, just remove cards that slow it down.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
I hate to use the word broken because my goal is never to "solve" games or find flaws. However, today I played a 2 player game with my girlfriend and I got into a situation that made the game very frustrating. I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember the following setup:

Twist Card - when you research, you don't get any money.
Work Space - had two of her workers on there

Remember, in a two player game, your opponent sits both to your left and right, so it's $2 for a worker.

I need money to do anything, so I naturally take the Work action. Well, guess what? The moment I do that, I owe her $4. Then I take $4 from the bank. Then next turn, I need more money (so I can invent). I take Work and pay her my $4 and take $4. If you're keeping track, I now have $4 and she has $8 additional dollars. She won soon after.

Dude, the money for spies comes from the bank, not from other players. You don't owe her anything. You play Work, she gets $4 from the bank, then you get $4 from the bank.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Dude, the money for spies comes from the bank, not from other players. You don't owe her anything. You play Work, she gets $4 from the bank, then you get $4 from the bank.


Well this changes everything
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
You don't pay her, ahe takes the money from the bank.

However, if you borh had a bunch of agens there, the game might stall since no one would want to take the action and give a lot of money to the opponent.

Some setups are better than others, so when you set it up, take a look at the card and check if it seems fun. If you like the game to be fast, just remove cards that slow it down.



Thanks for the both pieces of advice. I definitely made a mistake on paying each other for agents. Also, I can see how certain twist cards could really make for a stale or long game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a twist card that makes you round your total money down to the nearest $5 if you have more than $5 at the start of a round.

That one makes for a long game. I recently had the pleasure of playing with that twist combined with the no money for researching twist. That was fun...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend putting a spy in each space when that one is there. You are guaranteed to get at least 1 from that each turn so if you take the income action you get 5.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.