Popular Tags: [View All]
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst checking out the buzz from the latest Essen releases I came across this little nugget. You really can't beat a bit of good old fashioned casual racism can you? Thanks Grand Austria Hotel. I've no idea what your game is about but you made my day. If you're short of advice for future games how about the cowardly French? Fat Americans? angry Irish? or lazy Mexicans?

Interested by this topic, I took to Google and found a few nice articles*. It's good to know this kind of stuff is still OK.

* http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/apr/06/repressed-brits-...

wrote:
Just reading through the rules and encountered this phrase

The Rules wrote:
Little piece of advice: definitely prepare 3 rooms. If you are Scottish or simply like saving money, you can prepare 3 free rooms.

Had to chuckle.

The Scottish get greatly offended about the way that they often get tarred with the English brush, particularly by international news channels. For once, Scotland is mentioned independently, but only to insult them and call them tight.

Well played.

Edits include a less generic title and my complete inability to include an inline link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Grand Austria Hotel
Is this a game of who can be most offended? The first person to not be offended wins the game. I'll start.

I take offence that the Scottish take offence by being tarred with the English brush.

Now someone can follow up and take offence over my offence that the Scottish take offence by being tarred with the English brush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just happy to be noticed. I mean, Scotland represents such a small fraction of the board game community.. and they mentioned us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
But it is true* that copper wire was invented by a Scotsman and a Yorkshireman fighting over a penny.

* Not actually true. Probably.

As someone living in Yorkshire, I find this credible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad is Scottish. When I was a young kid, I came home once and proudly said to him "Dad! I ran home behind the bus and saved bus fare!".

He shouted at me "Why didn't you run behind a taxi and save the taxi fare, stupid!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Scottish is a race?

Scottish is a dance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Scottish is a race?

Ethnicity, technically there is no seperate races among humans. Stereotypes, such fun! We do love to dumb things down for ourselves don't we, makes the world so much more digestible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an outrage!
Where are the untrustworthy italians?!? shake

Edited cuz we italians suck at foreign languages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
This is an outrage!
Where are the untrhustworthy italians?!? shake

Agatha Christie used them all up in her writing, there aren't any left for anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you surprised at this? There are many many jokes on the topic, this stereotype is one I've been hearing as far as I can remember and never found it particularly offensive. Not sure if isn't just a central European thing though.

Honestly I find nationality stereotypes for the most part a funny way to make nationality a little more 'unique' in the otherwise global world (obviously in good humor only, not when used in a hate campaign or something). Anyone who feels offended by such jokes should take a break and relax a bit :-)

Btw. The article OP quotes considers the race of a voice actor of a bird in an animated movie an important enough thing to talk about, wow. Racism in reverse. Wonder if it also disturbs him/her that young boys sometimes get a voice over by adult women :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Scottish is a race?

Scottish is a dance!

Race is a state of mind...said Rachel Dolezal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
This is an outrage!
Where are the untrustworthy italians?!? shake

Isn't Scotland near Italy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
No True Scotsman would be offended by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
How are you surprised at this? There are many many jokes on the topic, this stereotype is one I've been hearing as far as I can remember and never found it particularly offensive. Not sure if isn't just a central European thing though.

Honestly I find nationality stereotypes for the most part a funny way to make nationality a little more 'unique' in the otherwise global world (obviously in good humor only, not when used in a hate campaign or something). Anyone who feels offended by such jokes should take a break and relax a bit :-)

Btw. The article OP quotes considers the race of a voice actor of a bird in an animated movie an important enough thing to talk about, wow. Racism in reverse. Wonder if it also disturbs him/her that young boys sometimes get a voice over by adult women :-D

Of course it's good to joke with friends. Or like the happy sarcastic people above, make fun of yourself. But you* don't make fun of my friends, that's just not cool.

Put it this way. If I wrote a cookery book and put a random joke on the back page saying that the Czech people are completely miserable?** This would be unexpected. It would feel somewhat inappropriate. It's just not cool. If I gave it to your mum without getting to know her first it might be a bit awkward.

* anyone, not actually you
** http://www.501places.com/2011/03/are-the-people-in-prague-re...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kinda cuts to why I wrote the quote above (though I didn't say it at the time).

In the rules, it's an out of the blue sideswipe at the scottish. Now, I'm pretty sure they're hardy enough to take it, that doesn't stop it being unnecessary.

If the rulebook had been like a Vlaada rulebook and filled with humour the whole way through, then I could have found it more understandable (though probably still a little off colour). It just felt really out of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has a deep and unfettered love for the nation of Scotland and its glorious peoples (not joking. I wish I still lived there....but I own land there!), can I just say the Scots are the best at casually labeling people indiscriminately-- bar none.

In my few years there I was called a Jew, an Arab, a Muslim, a moor, a quaker, Amish, an Italian, and worse yet-- a New Yorker. And probably some others that are slipping my mind at the moment.

I consider it an honor and a privilege to have provided them with such a broad spectrum of intended digs.

Plus, you know full well if this game was made in Scotland they'd have had something snarky to say about the Polish. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msangryduck wrote:
Whilst checking out the buzz from the latest Essen releases I came across this little nugget. You really can't beat a bit of good old fashioned casual racism can you?

Please, define racism.

Because it mentions one national group, it does not make it racism. Unless you use the definition used between 1918 and 1945. devil

Anyway, gulp shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.