GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Leaving Earth» Forums » Sessions

Subject: BGG coop game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGGs,

beginning at 08. Nov this year, my girlfriend will be away for three weeks. Since these are always tough times for me and since it perfectly fits the time frame, I thought: Why not play a game of Leaving Earth together with anyone interested here.

The plan is as follows: starting at the 8th, every day we will play one ingame year of a 'solo' very hard game. I will describe the current state of the board, then the next 24 hours we can discuss what to do in this round (make a plan). In case of a controversial discussion we might use some sort of voting system to see what the majority wants, but I'd try to keep it simple. Maybe I'll count posts and their received thumbs or stuff; if you have a better suggestion (also concerning that there is a very limited time frame - what to do with a good suggestion that is posted 22 hours into the round?), feel free to post here.

I've also thought of rewarding GG to the original poster of the 'winning' (aka most voted) plan, but my reserves are limited here; over 20 rounds, I could give 1.5 GG per day tops. Maybe some other generous donator can top this off, maybe you feel that you do not want these kinds of rewards at all.

Since I plan on playing the whole turn at once, there can be no stopping and discussing after drawing an outcome or revealing a location, so a plan must be complete in the sense that for every possible outcome (if ...) there has to be a suggested action (then ...).

So much for now, I think I will flesh the idea out as feedback comes in.

For now it is important to me to see if you would like to participate in this game. I do not feel I'd like a closed group, but I'd like to get a feeling for how many interested geeks are out there; if it is less than five (which would result in maybe 2 regulars), I think it would not be worth the effort. So if you want this idea to become a thing here, say so.

Thanks for your time and I hope we 'meet' again on the 8th of november!

Players:

mideg - GMT+1 - played
lago71 - GMT+1 - played
Born-of-Ashes - GMT-6 - played
blockhead - GMT-7 - played
WBRP - GMT-6 - played
BitJam - GMT-7 - not yet played
gar0u - GMT-7 - played
rmanning - GMT-8 - played

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in trying that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are any people who want to join but do not have the game, I'd be happy to make an extra post at the beginning concerning what regions can have which outcome. Additionally, I'll try to add some flavour text each year to make it a better read. You might have noticed that my english is not perfect, but I'll try and see what I can come up with.

Also, it might be good if you provided some time (as well as your daytime) at which you likely will read the episode so everyone involved has enough time to think about the situation and react.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Pierobon
Germany
Bad Tölz
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested too...

Lucio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play too. I'm in Chicago, so GMT -6 after Nov. 1. I can read and respond during my morning so Europeans would see it when they got home from work.

The thumbs for votes works well in other PBF coop I've done. I've donated to your OP to support the GG pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested. I don't care about rewards, I'll just be curious as to people's ideas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, not even a day in and already 5 people interested. Special thanks to Jordan for the additional GG!

Player
Time Zone
New to the game?

Michel Kangro (mideg)
GMT+1(?)

Lucio Pierobon (lago71)
GMT+1(?)

Jordan Booth (Born-of-Ashes)
GMT-6

(blockhead)
?

Brent Pollock (WBRP)
?

If you could provide the additional information it would be helpful to organize, but it is not mandatory.
Also I want to repeat that you do not have to play every round, and you also do not have to sign in or stuff. Anyone can make a suggestion or thumb-up a plan of others. It just makes coordination easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:

Player
Time Zone
New to the game?

Brent Pollock (WBRP)
GMT -06H00 (and no "Fall Back" in Saskatchewan)
Not new to the game. Likely no input from me on Wednesdays.

Once we blast this off, it could shift to Play by Forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, missed that part

I'm in GMT - 7
I've had the game as long as anybody I suppose 5 solo plays so far. I feel less capable than even that might sound, I make a lot of mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam
GMT - 7
New (still awaiting arrival but I've read the rules a few times)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendid. Then I'll make an overview concerning what outcomes exploring regions COULD have at the start of the game, just so everyone has the same information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played once, 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're keeping a list of alternates, I'd like to play if someone drops out before the start of the game.

I've played about 5 times, mostly solo, but also co-op 2-player and competitive 4 players.

(GMT/UTC -7 also)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Will,

you can choose to play on a day-to-day basis. As this is essentially a solo game, but with many people discussing, there are no alternates. This is no closed game.

Other special thanks to WRBP and BitJam for their GG donations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Pierobon
Germany
Bad Tölz
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same Time Zone as yours (actually I live in Germany)...
3-4 solo games played, got the game with Leon mass order to Germany.
No need for rewards in GG...

Lucio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like fun!

GMT -8
One 2-player (hard) game and 5 solo (very hard) games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good until now. We have 8 players, not counting myself, one of which has not played yet (but might till to the beginning).

My plan has changed a bit since I might not be at home at the weekend 28th/29th of November. I figured I will reveal the available missions a week prior to the beginning (since I will also not be home from 30th Oct to 7th Nov), so that we can begin resolving round 1 directly at Sunday afternoon. Also I figured there will be some rounds that we will be testing nothing, but buying parts instead, so we might be able to resolve multiple rounds per day. All in all it should be possible to get through the game in time. If not I think there will be some people here that are happy to 'simulate' my game, though we'd have to see how we do it with outcome cards on already purchased and partly tested techs (especially those that have positive outcomes that we did not resolve).

What do you think?

As for plans we make, I'd suggest we do the following:

1st explain what you want to achieve in the next couple of turns,
2nd make a detailed plan with no loopholes (every eventuality (outcomes and location cards) covered in an if-then-else fashion).

Example:

Dagar wrote:
I think we should go for the 'man on the moon' mission in the next couple of turns, since these technologies might aid us in the mars station mission. We will have to also build a build a probe that surveys mars for landability before we plan this mission. For this year I reckon we should aim to discover what radiation levels will await us, since this will determine whether we need a heavily shielded capsule.

This turn (numbers in brackets are remaining money):

- research Soyuz Rocket technology (15$)
- buy Soyuz (6$)
- assemble space craft 1 with Soyuz
- test fire Soyuz
IF minor or major failure
THEN buy it off (1$), buy probe (0$)
ELSE shuffle the outcome back in, buy probe (5$), hire pilot (0$)

I am not sure of the numbers here, but I think you get the idea...

So long, if you have any ideas, feel free to share them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
Looking good until now. We have 8 players, not counting myself, one of which has not played yet (but might till to the beginning).

If that one person is me then please don't got to extra effort to make things clear just for me. It is likely my copy will arrive before the 8th. Also, I'm more interested in seeing the discussion than playing along at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules should be available somewhere online as far as I remember, so the only thing I would tell you extra is what the surveyable places can potentially look like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in Germany, so GMT+2 right now, but GMT+1 after the 25th. (Damn Daylight Savings Time)

I do have experience of gigantic 1 solo and one multi player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Play Thread is now up and running. I figured the opening discussion will likely take some time.

You can find it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about some custom rules for the coop game to take some of the cheesy things out:

1) You cannot use the same probe (or capsule) twice for the same survey. Background here is if you did not test survey yet and have a probe on fly-by to a location you want to survey, it will fail and the probe will be lost (if you do not maneuver), instead of just 'yeah, let's do that again'.

2) you are not allowed to undock the parts of a space craft you docked this turn and vice versa. This only applies if the undocking parts the space craft to the same two crafts or the docking gives you the same craft you had before undocking. This should make it a bit harder to cheese rendezvous testing a bit.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1) Would that be just for Fly-By or for all Surveys?

2) This restriction would be non-historical as there are many examples of separating and re-docking and vice versa (Apollo/Soyuz, Apollo 9 (CSM/SLA), resupply missions to Skylab and the ISS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
1) You cannot use the same probe (or capsule) twice for the same survey. Background here is if you did not test survey yet and have a probe on fly-by to a location you want to survey, it will fail and the probe will be lost (if you do not maneuver), instead of just 'yeah, let's do that again'.

2) you are not allowed to undock the parts of a space craft you docked this turn and vice versa. This only applies if the undocking parts the space craft to the same two crafts or the docking gives you the same craft you had before undocking. This should make it a bit harder to cheese rendezvous testing a bit.

I like this ideas. They have both been suggested previously. In another thread, Joe made an explicit suggestion for a survey house rule which I think is the same as what you suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.