Recommend
27 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Favor of the Pharaoh» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reason #389 why Tom Lehmann is awesome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom has been busy answering questions about Favor of the Pharaoh, but he's not just providing those answers and moving on...he's been compiling all the issues and questions he runs across. And then he provided a comprehensive set of notes to me full of suggestions on how to tweak the rules/reference guide to the game.

The result is an updated set of rules, which are posted in the files section.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122778/favor-pharaoh-rule...

There aren't any huge changes here, but there are a ton of tiny clarifications that help to remove any ambiguities that have popped up over the last few weeks.

I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: Tom Lehmann is an amazing designer to work with, and his attention to detail throughout the development process of Favor of the Pharaoh is one of the reasons that so many of you are enjoying the game so much right now.
44 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant : )

Haven't played another game since we got this last week, loving it. We even received and then pushed aside our preorder of Pandemic Legacy.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rogers
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Please point me toward these clarifications. You're link goes to another link which brings me back to this link. A vicious circle. So I'm obviously missing something. And I need these clarifications desperately. My family is going through many an argument over these rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rogers
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Also, I do have to balk at the comment of Tom Lehman being a brilliant designer. It's difficult to understand why a designer would allow a game to be released before "a ton of tiny clarifications" were needed for the rules. And where were the game testers during this lack of clarity? We're about to give this game to Goodwill (or the city dump) and go on to more enjoyable games... like poking each other with forks. (Or "Champions of Midgard." That's a good one, too.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmrmrogers wrote:
Please point me toward these clarifications. You're link goes to another link which brings me back to this link. A vicious circle. So I'm obviously missing something. And I need these clarifications desperately. My family is going through many an argument over these rules.


There is a 2nd edition of the rulebook on the page linked.

That's the rulebook with the "clarifications."

Sorry you're not enjoying the game. It happens to be one of my faves.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rogers
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you Dave. And thank you for the quick response, greatly appreciated.

Yes, It's obvious that many people enjoy this game. Hopefully, with these clarifications, I can enjoy it as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmrmrogers wrote:
Thank you Dave. And thank you for the quick response, greatly appreciated.

Yes, It's obvious that many people enjoy this game. Hopefully, with these clarifications, I can enjoy it as well.


You're welcome.

Also, I haven't gone through it that closely. I think the "clarifications" are just rules re-wording. I don't think it will actually say "clarification" or anything like that.

Not that you would necessarily expect that. Just making sure.

I hope it helps!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmrmrogers wrote:
Also, I do have to balk at the comment of Tom Lehman being a brilliant designer. It's difficult to understand why a designer would allow a game to be released before "a ton of tiny clarifications" were resolved.


I think the rules to FOTP are awfully clear, but also, it's not up to the designer when the game is released or in what format. Publishers ultimately control that. I know any number of cases where publishers have made changes or decisions without the input of the designer, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. The designers generally don't have so much power they can call the shots.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rogers
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I don't know how it works with regard to the publisher and the designer. I'm not sure why the designer wouldn't be creating the rules, nor am I sure why a publisher would change those rules created by the designer. At any rate, if the lack of clarity was not Tom Lehman's doing, them my apologies to him.

However, I never understand why a person would respond to something that someone else wrote totally discounting that person's concerns. David, your belief that the rules are "awfully clear" does nothing to resolve my issue, so I don't understand the reason for your comment. Also, since it's very clear from all the comments that the rules needed revamping, they were obviously unclear in the beginning. You may have the updated rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmrmrogers wrote:
I don't know how it works with regard to the publisher and the designer. I'm not sure why the designer wouldn't be creating the rules, nor am I sure why a publisher would change those rules created by the designer. At any rate, if the lack of clarity was not Tom Lehman's doing, them my apologies to him.

However, I never understand why a person would respond to something that someone else wrote totally discounting that person's concerns. David, your belief that the rules are "awfully clear" does nothing to resolve my issue, so I don't understand the reason for your comment. Also, since it's very clear from all the comments that the rules needed revamping, they were obviously unclear in the beginning. You may have the updated rules.


It's awfully clear to me why he responded as he did. You didn't approach it as though the rules just weren't clear to you. Your approach was to indicate they are so unclear that nobody could follow them and then cast the designer in a bad light for not making them so anybody could understand them. David was absolutely correct in what he responded and the way he did it. Next time just write that YOU can't understand it without blaming everybody for it when many of us think the rules are fine and you might get a better response.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rogers
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
<shaking head and under my breath> Jesus Christ...

Dave Roy, thank you for your response.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jmrmrogers wrote:
toulouse wrote:
The result is an updated set of rules, which are posted in the files section.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122778/favor-pharaoh-rule...

You're link goes to another link which brings me back to this link.

Incorrect. The link goes to a download page with the updated rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmrmrogers wrote:
However, I never understand why a person would respond to something that someone else wrote totally discounting that person's concerns. David, your belief that the rules are "awfully clear" does nothing to resolve my issue, so I don't understand the reason for your comment.


The reason for the comment is that I assume that you want to know whether it's an idiosyncratic concern on your part about the clarity of the rules or whether many other people have the same view as you. The best way to find that out is by hearing from a number of people. If you want to discount any view that doesn't agree with yours and only listen to those who agree with you, of course you can do that.

I don't agree that the volume of complaints or questions about this game's rules are particularly large or raise any significant concerns.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
msg tools
rickert wrote:
jmrmrogers wrote:
I don't know how it works with regard to the publisher and the designer. I'm not sure why the designer wouldn't be creating the rules, nor am I sure why a publisher would change those rules created by the designer. At any rate, if the lack of clarity was not Tom Lehman's doing, them my apologies to him.

However, I never understand why a person would respond to something that someone else wrote totally discounting that person's concerns. David, your belief that the rules are "awfully clear" does nothing to resolve my issue, so I don't understand the reason for your comment. Also, since it's very clear from all the comments that the rules needed revamping, they were obviously unclear in the beginning. You may have the updated rules.


It's awfully clear to me why he responded as he did. You didn't approach it as though the rules just weren't clear to you. Your approach was to indicate they are so unclear that nobody could follow them and then cast the designer in a bad light for not making them so anybody could understand them. David was absolutely correct in what he responded and the way he did it. Next time just write that YOU can't understand it without blaming everybody for it when many of us think the rules are fine and you might get a better response.


Woh Woh Woh, is this what this board has come too? Why is everyone attacking everyone? We're all here to make the game a little bit better. Just because jmrmrogers has no clue how to play board games doesn't mean he's saying that no one knows how to play this board game. You seem to have taken his words out of context. Now, let's all get back to staring at the board games while they sit on the shelf while playing our shiny new Nintendo Switch's.

LLama out
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.