Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rivalry Event Question (SPOILERS) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Crossman
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I had the rivalry event come up in my last settlement phase, and two of my people fought, causing a gaping chest wound to one of them and adding the rivalry event to the next year in the timeline.

At first I thought it would be like the skull eater event
Spoiler (click to reveal)
which designates the nominated target of the murder event
but as far as I can tell from the text on the card it just says add the event and the next year you would draw it and pick at random again from the returning survivors.

I feel from the spirit of the event that it is supposed to be the same two people, since you can spend endeavor to dual and get the rivalry over with. However, as written it seems like the rivalry craze is just spreading around the settlement and everyone wants to fight each other.

Have other people run into this event? How did you end up treating it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kokothewise wrote:
Hi everyone,

I had the rivalry event come up in my last settlement phase, and two of my people fought, causing a gaping chest wound to one of them and adding the rivalry event to the next year in the timeline.

At first I thought it would be like the skull eater event
which designates the nominated target of the murder event
but as far as I can tell from the text on the card it just says add the event and the next year you would draw it and pick at random again from the returning survivors.

I feel from the spirit of the event that it is supposed to be the same two people, since you can spend endeavor to dual and get the rivalry over with. However, as written it seems like the rivalry craze is just spreading around the settlement and everyone wants to fight each other.

Have other people run into this event? How did you end up treating it?

We had the same thoughts, but we followed the letter and did not apply the theme by keeping the same 2 survivors...in fact how could you guarantee one or either of them might be returning next year? Seems to be more of a sentiment in the Settlement until things are resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Crossman
Canada
flag msg tools
Blueskew wrote:
how could you guarantee one or either of them might be returning next year? Seems to be more of a sentiment in the Settlement until things are resolved.

We were thinking that maybe it would override the selection criteria entirely, like if they're still alive in the settlement even if they're not one of the returning survivors they just have a run in and throw down again. But yeah, to the letter seems to be random selection and I guess it could be explained away as some type of divide between groups in the settlement or something.

I'm not complaining about going that route, the only reason we didn't have them dual this turn is that the two selected rivals are the top two hunters in our settlement
one being a twilight sword wielder
and we have the first butcher fight after this settlement phase and need them both alive.

So having the chance for it to be two of the other survivors (granted we have any returning from this fight) would be beneficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lay Tron
msg tools
Another question regarding this card.
When i come to the following year do i simply re-play 'Rivalry' as step 4 (Draw Settlement Event).

Or, do i draw a random settlement event and then also re-play 'Rivalry' when i come to step 6 (Update Timeline)

I'm leaning towards the first option but can argue to myself that the second option is plausible as it is now a timeline event.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Crossman
Canada
flag msg tools
You add it to the timeline, so it would happen when you update the timeline. You still need to draw a settlement event card prior to that happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kokothewise wrote:
You add it to the timeline, so it would happen when you update the timeline. You still need to draw a settlement event card prior to that happening.

Which could turn out to be another rivalry event. Wouldn't that be fun?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Crossman
Canada
flag msg tools
ELicious wrote:
Kokothewise wrote:

Which could turn out to be another rivalry event. Wouldn't that be fun?!

Pg. 80 under Settlement Events on the Timeline says "The same settlement event card cannot be played more than once per Settlement Phase." So the rivalry on the timeline would be ignored in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lay Tron
msg tools
Thanks!
Ended up playing it that way, lost my best guy to an Earthquake then thankfully rolled high so i didn't lose another 2 people to rivalry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.